United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 21s
Overall Rank = 21/97
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Cheyenne on Sat. for packet pickup. Then just hung out at my hotel. Went and had dinner then back to my room. Just tried to stay relaxed. My legs felt great and I really wanted to race.

Woke up Sunday early and got to transition early. Got the prime first spot in transition. Was joined there by Richard (Dick Dime). Set up my area and just relaxed. It started getting really windy just before we headed down to the lake, but the winds calmed a little before the start.
Event warmup:

None. I'm not a big fan of doing too much before a race. I like the pent up energy. I did jump in the lake and swim about 50 yards just to get used to the water. It was a good temp, and I felt really good.
Swim
  • 13m 27s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. I have been feeling good all year. I immediately passed 3 people and then set my aim on Richard. I passed him about 100 yards before the first buoy, then settled down into my pace. I passsed several more people and then the swim was through. I knew it was a long run to transition, so I made sure I just ran steady. I felt great.
I also knew that I wanted to get done quickly, because Richard would soon pass me on the bike. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I left everything on the swim. My arms were tired when I finished, but my legs were fresh.

I could have sighted a little better but this was still very good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This was about a minute faster than last year. Free time baby!!!

Check my helmet before the start. My helmet has two buttons that allow adjustment to the back locking fit thing. These had slipped and were tight, so I had to loosen it. Maybe 2 seconds?
Bike
  • 39m 22s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 20.73 mile/hr
Comments:

We had a headwind going out, but it wasn't much. Felt pretty strong. Found a rider to play tag with. Got to the turn around and rode strong the whole way back. Passed a lot of people who started in front of me.

Richard passed me about 2 miles in and I only saw him about 1 mile from the turn around.

Nothing. I'm still working on gearing and hills with my tri bike. I still feel more comfortable climbing on my road bike, but the downhils and flats make up for that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Good quick transition

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my 3rd race this year and all times had been below 25 minutes. I wanted to finish sub 24 and did that. I felt great for 90% of this run and don't think I could have been much faster (maybe 20 seconds based on pacing, but...

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

had some water, got some food (great smothered burritos) and hung out with some people I had met. Waited for the award ceremony with Richard and some others. Richard of course won his AG. And I got 3rd in mine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing this was a very well run race for me. I did exactly what planned and finished 5 minutes faster than last year. Unfortunately there were some very fast people in my age group this year. They beat me by 10 minutes.

What was strange, was both people in front of me must have passed me on the swim, so I never saw them the whole race. In fact I never saw anyone from my AG on the course. It would have been nice to see someone to chase. Instead I was constently trying to make sure I kept padding my lead on the rest of my AG. It worked, I think I had a very large time gap on the 4th place person.

Event comments:

This is a small race, but very well run. They have plenty of volunteers and the people that were at this race were great. I saw some old friends (from college), and made some new friends. Got to help some people doing their first tri.

It was also fun to hang with Dick Dime. Cool guy. And Ramone rocks.

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:27 | 656 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 23/97
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Big rectangle. Big Yellow ducks for bouys. 300 meter run to transition.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:22 | 13.6 miles | 20.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 17/97
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This was an out and back course. Some decent hills, but nothing too bad. Was supposed to be 13 miles, but the race director and my computer both said it was 13.6
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 33/97
Course: Big figure 8 I think. Very flat and fast course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-07 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-07 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1511900

Timnath Colorado,
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Dan; second year in a row you ended up with hardware if I'm not mistaken. I have missed meeting you both last year and this year.... next year for sure. Good luck with the rest of your season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed