General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I Figured I needed a goal for myself so.... here goes!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-24 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: I Figured I needed a goal for myself so.... here goes!!
Hello all!

I'm a 27 Year old computer guy who used to swim growing up and played sports pretty consistantly untill I graduated college. I never was a superstar but always loved the competition! In the past 5 1/2 years since college I've fallen pretty far out of shape and would like to get back into competitive sports. My wife and I joined the local YMCA and upon my first visit (before ever even swimming a stroke) I was feeling all macho and decided that I needed a goal for myself. Well, here I am!

I did end up getting in the pool and realised quickly that I had a long way to go, however since starting I'm feeling much better. Still can't swim very far but that'll come eventually.

I'm pretty excited about this and I'm glad I found this place to come for help and encouragement.

Ya'll will be hearing from me early and often! (Did i mention that i'm from Mississippi?)

Apparently we have a very short Tri here in June (i think). Shorter than a sprint even. I guess I just have to keep working out and find a bike. I"m sure i'll be back with help on that part too.

anyway..
Hello from Mississippi! talk with ya'll soon

Will

2005-01-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #107687

New user
Mobile Al. / Fredericksburg Va
Subject: RE: I Figured I needed a goal for myself so.... here goes!!
Welcome. What part of Mississsippi are you from? I do a lot of running races and du's in the Gulfport area. Is your wife going to join you? Good luck in your training.
2005-01-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: #107707

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Thanks!

We live in Jackson. My wife unfortunatly won't be joining me.. at least for now.. maybe I can talk her into it later. She works a lot and it might be difficult to get her out with me right now.

Thanks for the reply!

Will
2005-01-24 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV
Hi Will,
Welcome to BT and triathlon. I used to live in Jackson! I moved away about 2.5 years ago. I couldn't even run when I lived in Jackson and I certainly didn't own a bike. A short two and a half years later I have completed two running seasons (placed in our local grand prix series in 04) and have done 5 triathlons (placing in 4). See what moving away from Jackson can do for you Just kidding - I live in a tiny town so there isn't too much competition.

Congratulations on the decision to do a tri. Be glad that it is only a very short race. I cannot imagine doing a tri in June in Jackson. Gee, I remember doing a few 5 kms (they took me longer than 30 min!) at 8 am in the morning and being horribly ill afterwards because of heat exhaustion. My biggest advice to you - stay hydrated.

Look forward to hearing more from you,
Malgal.
2005-01-25 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I spent most of my work day yesterday reading articles about how to improve my swimming and I think all of the "My First Tri" articles. Talk about getting pumped up! I was in such a hurry to get to the pool after work yesterday and really enjoyed the swim. Reading all the stories of success just gave me more fuel and drive to keep going. Now I guess it's time to work on finding a bike.

I also found our local Tri Club yesterday and once I've trained a little more will likely join. I feel right now I have enough motivation to get back into shape but often I find my problem to be that I don't stick with anything after I've experienced it. Hopefully the club will fix that problem..

I guess I'm off to waste more time and find a bike...... uh.. i mean.. get back to work so I truly don't have ALL my time to train.. hehe

Oh.. another question.. Are there any/many Triathletes out there who are also US Masters Swimmers? I'd like to consider doing both and want to know some folks experiences with that.

Thanks!

Will

2005-01-26 12:36 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Welcome Will, from your Louisiana neighbor. I've got friends in Jackson who tri/bike, let me know if you want some hard-ass training partners. I really like that Ridgeland Century in April, might try to go up and do it again this year.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I Figured I needed a goal for myself so.... here goes!! Rss Feed