General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splint Recovery Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-07 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: Shin Splint Recovery Time
I have a severe case of shin splints due to my own stupidity. Too much too fast after a three month lay off from running due to moving. I have tried to just run through it, but it is just getting worse. So, since I don't have any races coming up, I figured I should just give myself a complete break from running until it heals.

The question is how long should I expect the recovery to take?

Has anyone tried deep water running in lieu of regular running, and how did it affect your post injury running?

Thanks for your help.

2008-07-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1513131

User image

Subject: RE: Shin Splint Recovery Time
First off sorry to hear about your injury. Last fall this happened to me too. I tried to train through it and eventually ended up in an Ortho office because the pain was so bad. But back to your OP, it took me about two months before i could run with no pain. Just remember everybodies body is different, and my shin splits were bad. One thing that might help is by sitting down with a resistance band and writing the alphabet with your feet, and do this by writing the capital letters. This really helped me out alot. I do this after every run when my shins are tight.

IMO, I would imagine that deep water running would work out pretty good for you in this situation.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.
2008-07-07 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

I am recovering from some right now.  First, go to your ortho.  I went as soon as I started having symptoms and they fitted me for an aircast.  That has been IMMENSELY helpful for me; really helped with the pain.  I have been in it for about 8 weeks now and have been weaning down off of it as my race approaches.  I cut running out of my training completely for about a month and then have slowly integrated it back in.  Even now I still am not running as much as I should be but I've upped the biking and swimming, which seems to have helped me not completely lose all of my running fitness. 

Staying completely off of it for about 2 months will also do the trick if it's really gotten bad, but even if you do that I would still see about getting the aircast, as that can help even with just every day walking around. 

It sucks.  It's my first time in 15+ years of running that I've had to deal with it.  Hope you heal up soon! 

2008-07-07 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Depends how badly they are injured.

Stay off them as much as possible to let them heal.  Deep water running might be an option if it's not painful (last time I had them really badly I pretty much had to not kick during swimming.)  Once they are not hurting, build back up VERY gradually.  If they hurt, back off.

Stretch a lot, especially after walking/running.

Keep pushing and they just get worse - but I think you got that one figured already. 

2008-07-07 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You could always try this! http://www.runbike.com/
2008-07-07 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN

On Fit TV one night I saw an IM pro showing that he uses a device that looked very much like a hackey sack to rub his legs after training.  He exaplained that it really helped with shin splints....I don't remember the episode but you could probably find it...It was called Insider Training "Triathlons"

It may help...I had them a while back but I wasn't training for anything so I just stopped running for months and no problems since but that won't really help now.

Good Luck

2008-07-08 1:39 PM

Cure for Shin Spints

• Run Backwards.

Seriously, jog backwards 4 X 100 or so before your workout and after your workout. Focus on going toe to heal and pushing off to strech out your shin. I learned this trick in high school, and trust me these are serious shin splints. It will take a couple of weeks for them to go away but believe it or not they will.

Whenever you feel your shins start to tighten up, do a jog backwards.

You should feel a difference the first time you try it. It will initally hurt really bad, but you are stretching it out.
    2008-07-08 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks for all the advice, I've never heard that running backwards would help, but its better than sitting around doing nothing. If that doesn't work, I guess its water jogging and rest.
    2008-07-08 5:23 PM
    in reply to: #1515659

Champion
    South Jersey

See a Rolfer or Active Release Therapist (ART) and that will help speed up the recovery time. And yes, deep water running will help you maintain your run fitness. I've logged the same amount of deep water running hours so far this year as I have dry-land running (well, my dry-land run time surpassed my aquajogging time two weeks ago), and I plan on doing an Ironman in 12 days. It works great .

I didn't have shin splints.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splint Recovery Time Rss Feed