United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 7s
Overall Rank = 29/341
Age Group = >40 Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

A bit of a long story. The race was Sunday morning but Friday night I started feeling really crummy and was up most of the night with a high fever and hurting all over. Spent most of Saturday laying in bed sweating and chilling and generally wanting to be put out of my misery. By Saturday evening was feeling a little better but still didn't think I'd be able to race. Woke up Sunday morning and felt pretty decent. A little worn out but not too bad so decided to give it a try.
Got to the race, picked out a good transition spot, got body marked and waited around until the start.
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

They bussed everyone from transition over to the swim start so we were all crammed into these trolly buses like cattle. The smell of used neoprene in tight quarters is not on the top of my list of pleasant things to think about before a race!
This was a crazy fast swim. Downstream in a 2+ knot current was a lot of fun! Nothing too exciting...it was over too quickly. There were about 30 guys in my wave so it wasn't bad as far as being crowded either. Actually got a good draft off some guys for a couple minutes each. I think I was 4th out of the water in my wave and we all finished together. I know I'll probably never have this fast a swim again.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

The transition area was about a 150-175 yard run from the swim exit so this is what took so long. There was a good run along a dock then another 125-140 yards on pavement up to transition. They had done a great job of sweeping the pavement clean though so there were no issues in bare feet.
Got my suit stuck on my heels a bit but then quickly got my glasses and helmet on.
From there it was another 50+ yard run to the mount line.

Not much except get my wetsuit off quicker.
Bike
  • 30m 33s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

All the turns made it pretty difficult to hold any kind of speed. And since it was a wave start race by the time you got into the second and third loop you were trying to get through the corners with a lot of other, sometimes pretty inexperienced, riders. It was all good though as I didn't hear of anyone crashing out.
By the third loop I could feel being sick the last 36 hours catching up with me. My legs just didn't have much in them. All in all a pretty interesting bike with all the turns and crowds.

Nothing really other than not be sick.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Pretty decent transition for the distances we had to go. 50+ yards from dismount to rack then another 50 or so to the exit. Nothing too exciting.

Nothing
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out pretty slow because my legs weren't too great after the bike and I was feeling being sick. After about 3/4 mile though I felt a little better. Then I saw a guy in my AG up ahead of me and figured I could catch him. He was the only one in my AG that I'd seen around me so I thought I was right up close to the front of the group.
Caught the guy at about 1 1/4 miles and thought I could hold him off from there. Got up the little goat hill and then headed back toward the finish. Should have had a way better pace than this by this point of the run but was still not feeling too great. Just worn out. The last 1/2 mile or so of the run goes around a little lake which is kind of nice. The finish was crowded with spectators and was pretty noisy so it was kind of fun.

Not much. Just suck it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out for a few minutes talking to some friends who'd done the race. Then wandered over to transition to clean up my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick the day before the race. And being only 2 weeks post Ironman probably had an effect too.

Event comments:

Very good race organization for the inaugural race. It was well attended by both participants and spectators. Of course, Coeur D'Alene is kind of a triathlon town so that's not surprising. The race was well organized, with lots of helpful volunteers.
I had thought I was second in my AG but when the awards were announced I had actually won the "Over 40 Fat Man's Division." The guy listed ahead of me had accidently started a wave too soon so his listed time was 10 minutes too fast. Nice surprise. All that really means though is there weren't very many over-40 Clydesdales doing the race...and the ones who did must have had an off day if I beat them!

Last updated: 2008-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 880 yards | 01m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/341
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Straight line, point to point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:33 | 11 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 3 loop, very technical course with 33 turns in 11 miles. A few gradual hills but nothing serious at all.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:51 | 03.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly flat with a couple gradual uphills and one short, steep uphill and downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 5:56 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Race the River

2008-07-08 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1513633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Race the River
Nice job under less than ideal health conditions! Very cool that you won 1st in AG! Now go get healthy so you can be ready to race Cd'A in August. Laughing
2008-07-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1513633

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Race the River
Hey hey, great race, especially with being sick and only 2 weeks post-IM.  Congrats on the hardware!  I hope you're feeling better right quick!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race the River Rss Feed