Sun Sport Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 10m 50s
Overall Rank = 242/500
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Early wake, early drive. Had left my bike at the race site the day before, so that simplified things. Ate a banana and drank about 16 oz. of water. Later at the race site I ate half a luna nuzt-over-chocolate bar, and tried to keep my transition area tidy and dry on the misty rainy day.
Event warmup:

Practiced easy swimming, repeated some mantras that would come in handy later: Focus on you...Focus on you now...Focus on you now doing well...Focus on you now doing well and persisting. These will help me during the dull parts of the bike and run, or at least I hoped they would!
Swim
  • 45m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

About 45 in my wave start (last wave == athenas, clydes, aquabikes, relays...basically the kitchen sink crew) swam a rectangular out and back course with moderate chop mid-course and tricky navigating on the return. First race where 1. I started to feel motion sick, which I never do and 2. there were buoys at the end that were NOT to be swum around...huh? "straight to the dock" they called to me, "but what about those two buoys?" I replied. Very confusing course exit, but otherwise OK
What would you do differently?:

Check the course and buoys more carefully, and try to draft on fast feet
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Bike
  • 3h 15m 36s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Everything felt good. Had one bottle drop, but was easily retrieved. I spent a lot more time in aero in this race than in previous efforts, and felt good. The mantras started coming in handy here as loop 1 seemed to last for ever! My mind wandered a little and I would bring it right back with "Focus on you"..."Focus on you now"...etc.

Right shoulder seized up only a little, and everything felt fine for the most part, even my tingly left pinky. Two loops and the second was definitely faster, easier.

Not much, maybe just 1 mph faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Messy, messy dismount -- brakes had been over-tightened and I couldn't get the bike out from under me quickly enough to run past it without running over it first. Nearly tripped, almost fell. Ugh.

Test brakes earlier and get the stopping speed right.

Also try yankz for next race
Run
  • 2h 04m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I am happy to report that I set a new personal record (PR) on this course! It was lovely and I previewed it by bike the day before. I think it really helped knowing what was ahead and what to expect from the terrain. I think the cloud cover and threat of precip also really helped -- I wanted to finish before it opened up, and I kept cool while running.

Aid tables were plentiful on this course, but I also ran with my fuel belt just to be sure I had water and CLIF e-lytes drink whenever, wherever. Some racers stopped at every table; I skipped at least half of them. Food-wise I took some animal crackers at mile 1 and 3, ate an apple-cinn Hammer gel at around mile 6, and that was about it until a banana piece around mile 11. My drinks were only half used and I had just enough water and heed to get through the miles without a sloshing tummy or any bathroom stops. Physically I felt fine. Mentally, too, I guess. My mind wandered a little around miles 5-8 and I would bring it right back with "Focus on you"..."Focus on you now"...etc.

I was briefly distracted by a few handsome, tall clydesdale guys :)
and by a loud, chatty woman calling Ireland with a cell phone mid-race...no I'm not making that up! Blatant and stupid rule breaking, but oh well. :(

So I just kept running, passing people (at least 20 total) and letting only one woman pass me towards the very end. I like races like this very much: it was under control but still very challenging.

May try the yankz laces next time, but may not...after all, with 13.1 miles to run, what's another 30 seconds in T2? Not much really.
Post race
Warm down:

I was thrilled to finish in what appeared to be 6:09 by my watch. It was a good race for me, and my legs and knees were pretty spent at the end. I wanted to sit in the ice bath where the finish line water bottles were, but that'd be rude to the other runners. Instead, I took ice soaked washcloths (free to racers, a nice touch) and made cold compresses on my quads as I knelt next to the kiddie pool ice bath. It felt good, and cold! 30 minutes later, the rain would start coming down. I had packed up my T1/T2 stuff and was eating under the tents by then, so the timing was good. The food was good, too -- Italian restaurant catered the salads, pasta, meatballs or chicken cacciatore, and mini-brownies. Yum! Wish I'd found a diet coke, but settled for water and fruit punch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more bike speed. Intervals, hills, all of it! I need to lay the hurt on my training in the 2-months pre-race to get used to a harder, faster pace on the bike. 18-20 mph instead of 17 seems within reach, but just barely. I need to work for it.

I'm happy with the run speed, but also convinced I could go a little faster with a little more mental focus and break 2hrs for the half. We'll see next year, or maybe this fall at the BAA Half Mary in October.

Event comments:

So many good volunteers and a nice race set-up. Only good things to say!

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:42 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Average
HR in the 130-145 range, as planned
Suit: orca full sleeves
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:36 | 58 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Performance: Good
HR 145-155. barely saw 160
Wind: None
Course: Scenic, lonely but nice and residential -- almost zero traffic.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:04:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Good
HR 150-160, perfect and very challenging yet comfortable pace
Course: Scenic residential loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2008-07-08 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1516124

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

You did great..you were amazing running out of T2 looking so strong.

Great job and cool about PB on a 1/2 Mary in a HIM.

Congrats! 

2008-07-09 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great job on the race! I like the mantra idea, keeps you focused on the prize which of course is finishing strong.
2008-07-09 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great race Sunny!!  Wish I had seen you at the finish.  There was a guy sitting in the "ice bath" where drink were kept cold toward the end of the race.  And a woman put her head in it at a different time. 

Looks like the mentra worked.  Glad you came in before the rain. 

2008-07-09 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Wow, nice race, lady!!
2008-07-16 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

WOW a ½ mary PB in a HIM that is impressive…..VERY impressive

Congratulations It seems this mantras thingy is working for you.

I don’t think you will have any problems get under 2h for the ½, none whatsoever

2008-07-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1533923

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Mesteren - 2008-07-16 12:34 PM

WOW a ½ mary PB in a HIM that is impressive…..VERY impressive

Congratulations It seems this mantras thingy is working for you.

I don’t think you will have any problems get under 2h for the ½, none whatsoever

Oh cool, and thanks for the encouragement, T!  I would like to get that 2hr mark broken in October and have already signed up for the Boston half-Marathon.  Will train more running just as soon as tri season finishes! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed