Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Professional Resume Writing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Professional Resume Writing?

I am at the point with my current job where it's time to start looking for a new one. My current position as a lot going for it, but security and career growth are definitely not on the list.

Has anyone every used a Professional Resume Writing Service? If so, how well did it work for you?

I have always authored my own resumes but then the job market was not what it is now. There are a lot of jobs out there in my field just now but there are also a ton of applicants. (Some Qualified, Many not so Qualified)

In the end, I think that setting myself apart from the herd any way I can will certainly be a bonus; especially for positions that have well over 100 candidates.

2008-07-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1520398

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: Professional Resume Writing?
WaterDog66 - 2008-07-10 11:49 AM

I am at the point with my current job where it's time to start looking for a new one. My current position as a lot going for it, but security and career growth are definitely not on the list.

Has anyone every used a Professional Resume Writing Service? If so, how well did it work for you?

I have always authored my own resumes but then the job market was not what it is now. There are a lot of jobs out there in my field just now but there are also a ton of applicants. (Some Qualified, Many not so Qualified)

In the end, I think that setting myself apart from the herd any way I can will certainly be a bonus; especially for positions that have well over 100 candidates.

I used one about 4 years ago.  I still get calls with job offers from that.  it is worth it.  they use techniques and software to get you interviews, you have to do the rest.

2008-07-10 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Who did you use?
2008-07-10 1:04 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
My husband is using one now. Definitely worth it since he sucks at writing his own. We'll see if it pays off, which I am sure it will.
2008-07-10 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

one word of advice - make sure you don't list a phone number that is wrongly on a debt collection call list... 

I've never used one - but I see resumes all the time for my job.  It is amazing how much that first impression makes a difference.  If you are in a competitive industry, would recommend having at least some type of service.

question - in your area, do you have recruiters / headhunters?  my resume has been polished several times over from various headhunters I've used in changing jobs.  (and this was a free service)

2008-07-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1520730

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
condorman - 2008-07-10 11:07 AM

question - in your area, do you have recruiters / headhunters?  my resume has been polished several times over from various headhunters I've used in changing jobs.  (and this was a free service)

Yeah, I have been working with the same pimp recruiter for about the last 15 years and we have worked my resume over several times. I am just not sure if in the current environment, (Very Competitive) that it is up to the task.

If it improves my chances, I am totally open to the idea of paying for a professionally done resume. I just want to make certain it's worth it first.

and yes, Recruiters are definitely free for cases where I was using them to find me a job. I of course have had to pay when I used him for scaring up viable candidates I was hiring for

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-07-10 3:03 PM

2008-07-10 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

What's the industry?

What kind of position? (Technical, Management, etc)?

My general feeling is that anyone can create an excellent resume, without paying for it. (Although, for the sake of full disclosure, I'm only that confident due to a couple of MBA career services classes).

In general, I've found that you must tailor your resume to each position you seek (even if it is just a minor adjustment).  Make it speak to the stated requirements of the position, particularly for those opportunities you know or feel are being screened by HR, rather than the person to whom you'd be reporting.

Also, spend more time on behavior interview techniques/stories than on your resume.

Just my very humble opinions.

2008-07-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1521114

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
roch1009 - 2008-07-10 1:14 PM

What's the industry?

What kind of position? (Technical, Management, etc)?

Hey thanks for the tips.

I am in the Software Industry and will be looking at either Senior Management or Senior Technical Positions. (CTO or Chief Architect) As I said in the OP, there are plenty of jobs out there but there are also a lot of folks applying for the positions.

Through my recruiter, we did tailor my resume and message (In the Past) for each of the positions that I applied for and you are correct, it does work well. (As opposed to blasting out a generic Resume to 100's of companies)

I am just doing the research to determine if a professionally authored resume is worth it. (Sounds like you think it is not)

2008-07-10 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Hmmmm, well I agree and disagree with the responses.

I think the value of finding (someone good who knows what they're doing) to write your resume is that you have an objective set of eyes that can look at your background and based on their exposure guide you in what to pull out and focus on.

I used someone last year. We did a couple phone interviews going through my current resume and he asked a lot of probing, detailed questions...he ended up pulling skills and experience I had always downplayed as 'no big deal' out and showed me how in the context of things they were actually highly desirable skills to have. i seriously walked out of the process realizing a lot of industry specific skills I thought I had (worked in newspapers for 10 years) that would prevent me from moving into a new industry were actually global skill sets that are highly desired by employers.

As a result of his process my resume made a complete 180...in a good way. Within a week of finishing it up I had two interviews lined up....

As for editing it for each job, i completely agree. Now that I have the base resume, as I see specific jobs I add, delete and highlight skills that are applicable to the description.

I don't want this to sound like a complete commercial for this guy but I would be happy to pass his info along. Just PM me. he does executive, management, professional, technical and creative resumes.
2008-07-10 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Just do your due diligence...try to get a referral. My wife went with a resume writing service she found online that offered a great rate and they did pretty crappy work _and_ were unreliable about deadlines and responding to communications from her. They offered a guarantee (of sorts), but I have no expectations they'll honor it without a letter from our attorney at the very least.
2008-07-11 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Having (and paying) someone else to write your resume is probably worth it if you are not sure that your own approach is the most effective. In my line of work, we write resumes all the time. They are not exactly the same as street resumes, but here are a couple of tips that definitely carry over:

(1) As others noted, tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying to. Think of the company you are sending your resume to as your customer. What does your customer need? How can you fulfill that need? What specific skills and experience do you have that are highly relevant to the job requirement? Is there anything about your experience that may be unique and help you stand out from the other applicants?

(2) Be very specific (if you can) with regard to achievements. Don't just say you "managed a department." Say how many people you managed, what kind of budget you managed, etc. Did you implement anything that helped your company achieve its goals? Quantify that. Remember, it's not just about you and your experience, but you want to show the company that you're applying to that you can add value to their operations. But just saying it isn't good enough. Prove it.

Hope that helps.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Professional Resume Writing? Rss Feed