General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Urge Change of Pace to donate cancelled Donner Lake Tri race fees to disaster relief Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-11 3:00 AM

User image

Truckee, CA
Subject: Urge Change of Pace to donate cancelled Donner Lake Tri race fees to disaster relief
All:

The Donner Lake Triathlon was recently cancelled due to the poor air quality caused by the smoke from the many, many fires here in Northern California. Read the Race Director's statements here: http://www.changeofpace.com/Donner_lake_tri.html.Living in Truckee at the race site, I have no doubt this is the right decision.

In his July 10th letter, Dave Miramontes states: "Unfortunately the triathlon cannot be rescheduled and we are unable to offer refunds due to costs incurred for developing this year’s race." He follows this up in a July 11th letter with: "While we have stated that all entries are non-refundable, we will of course be providing some compensation into next year’s event."

I don't doubt that there are many costs that had to be paid upfront, and that Dave and Change of Pace have a storage area now filled with useless 2008 race t-shirts and other items that they had planned to use on July 13th. Absolutelyl, Change of Pace should cover their costs for developing this event.

However, I can't believe that there isn't a savings to be realized for not trucking all the gear and personnel up to Truckee, and for not actually running the race. Now, I'm not advocating for a refund, or even 'compensation' into next year's event. Rather, I'd like to see a reasonable portion of the proceeds from this now non-event donated to a disaster relief fund (such as the American Red Cross) to help support the many people working around the clock to contain these fires, and to help the many people who've suffered losses. I'd be more than happy to contribute my 'compensation' towards this fund.

Please join me in urging the Donner Lake Triathlon Race Director Dave Miramontes to donate a portion of this year's race fees towards disaster relief, and to the American Red Cross. You can send an email to him at [email protected].

Thanks,

Keith Juhola
TruckeeTriGuy

2008-07-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: #1522068

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Urge Change of Pace to donate cancelled Donner Lake Tri race fees to disaster relief
And I bet those "useless" t-shirts would be awfully welcome to people who have lost everything, or who never had anything to start with...
2008-07-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1522110

User image

Truckee, CA
Subject: RE: Urge Change of Pace to donate cancelled Donner Lake Tri race fees to disaster relief
Great point! Hadn't thought of that.
2008-07-11 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
That's a bummer.  I was planning on doing this tri earlier in the year but never signed up for it -- lucky me.
2008-07-11 5:46 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

The 2005 CajunMan Triathlon was scheduled to take place two weeks after Katrina hit. We're 150 miles west of NO, but with the refugees who ended up in our area and the other overwhelming demands placed on our first-providers, the RD decided to cancel the race. He donated all the dri-fit T-shirts, socks, caps, and other goody bag items to the refugees and survivors, as well as the water, gatorade, food, and excess proceeds from registration fees.

So if you see someone with a 2005 CajunMan shirt, odds are that he's a Katrina refugee, not a triathlete.

2008-07-11 5:52 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I found the RD's email in an old post:

To all:  And please send this email to anyone and everyone in the multisport community!
The 2005 CajunMan Triathlon has been cancelled.  We regret that we have to do this - but due to the nature of the circumstances that have occurred and affected S. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama - this is the only right thing to do.  The CajunMan will donate all food supplies, water, Gatorade, shirts, etc. to assist and help those that are in need.  Also, monies that have not been spent will be given to the Red Cross (or the like) in the form of a check.  In fact, I have already dropped off hundreds of shirts, 25 - 30 cases of water and Gatorade, toilet paper, anti-bacterial soap and even deodorant (Degree was a sponsor) today at the CajunDome.  I still have more shirts and other items to give - but my car was full to the top.
If held, the CajunMan would be a strain on the police force, Acadian Ambulance, the hotels (which are completely sold out), traffic, and the Lafayette Regional Airport (which is where the race is held).  When discussing this with these governmental agencies they were thankful of my decision.  Water, food and the like which was to be provided at the CajunMan is no longer available as these items are scarce or no longer available in Lafayette.  In addition, many of our volunteers, sponsors and our race committee members are busy helping out with the relief efforts.  Manpower would be scarce at the CajunMan.  And besides, there are bigger things in life than triathlons - such as life itself.
This is an unbelievable tragic and horrific occurence - and the ripple effect has already been felt here in Lafayette and many other surrounding areas. 
I wish all of you well. 
Russell Bex
CajunMan Triathlon
Race Director

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Urge Change of Pace to donate cancelled Donner Lake Tri race fees to disaster relief Rss Feed