General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-11 7:36 AM

Subject: Running shoe advice

Hi folks,

This is kind of specific, but I am in need of some new running shoes, since my knees have started to hurt with my current pair:  they only have about 250 miles on them, but I have a very strange gait that takes it out of shoes.  I plan to hit the shoe store this afternoon.  Anyway, I was wondering if people have advice for shoes I should try.  I have been running in Supernova classics for like 6 years now, but I want to see if I can find something that works better now that I am running more.  As I said, I have a very strange gait:  a hard heel strike, and a lot of twist on the ball of my foot as I come through the stride, so I need a pretty stiff shoe with a durable insole (the lifetime of my shoe is determined by how long it takes me to wear a hole thorough the insole under the ball of my foot) but plenty of cushioning.  Any advice?  Shoes I should try that you love?

Thanks! 

2008-07-11 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1522185

Regular
Subject: RE: Running shoe advice

When I got my last pair I decided to splurge and went to the local runner's store.  All told it took about 90 minutes.  The guy had me run a bit on the treadmill to get a sense of my running style.  Then he measured and brought out my size in about six different brands and styles.  I tried them all on the treadmill several times until we decided which work best.  Heck, I had never even heard of Saucony before but they've worked out well.  Laughing

So I guess my advise would be to go to a running shop where they know what they're doing and try, try, try different shoes. 

2008-07-11 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH
X2

Especially having a strange gait, you'll want to make sure you get the right pair. Spend the time at the right store. If you say where you're located I'm sure someone can recommend a good place.

Good Luck!
2008-07-11 9:01 AM

User image

Runner

If you have multiple running shops, go to more than one.  Be up front, and say you're looking at new shoes, but not ready to buy just yet.

2008-07-11 9:54 AM

Thanks all!

Actually, I do go to a runner's store (Marathon Sports, in the Boston area....highly recommended for anyone out this way), and the Supernova classics I've been running in for so many years were the result of just such an analysis of my gait, but I thought I'd try out a few different options this time, and wanted to see if anyone had any specific suggestions.  I guess I'll just wait and see what the experts at the store suggest!  Thanks!

2008-07-11 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN

Maybe try another store as well.  I did this for the first time and what a difference having someone recommend a shoe based on my stride pattern has made!!!

I'd recommend two opinions then chose which you feel the most comfortable with...If you live in Boston I'd have to think your options are endless.

2008-07-11 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Columbia, SC
It's all about how they fit you.

Go get multiple stores to pull the proper shoes for your gait. Then run around the parking lot mixing the shoes up and trying each one multiple time.

I've worn the same model for the last 2 years. Sometimes I get 250 miles out of them, other times 400 miles. As long as you listen to your body, you'll be okay.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe advice Rss Feed