Muncie Endurathon
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 30m 58s
Overall Rank = 256/590
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/63
Pre-race routine:

The taper of the week really messed with me. I was nervous the couple of days before, but packed the truck Thursday night, and knew everything was there, so made setting up and moving coolers and travel bags around real easy on race morning.

The usual type meal for me before a race, at the hotel cottage cheese with berries, banana, and of course coffee. Had a hard boiled egg about an hour before the start, then a Hammer Gel 20 minutes from my starting swim time with water throughout the morning.

Even had a chance to meet Amy and Curegirl and her Mr, before the race. Kinda of bummed I missed them yesterday at the expo.
Event warmup:

Just some light jogging around the area and stretching. I figured I had time to warm up everything else once I got going.

Couldn't believe how calm I was, learned alot last year which was my first year doing tris in 18 or so years. Nervous energy from earlier in the week was all gone. The morning went smoothly.
Swim
  • 36m 24s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, I thought I was taking it easy in the water, and felt real relaxed, had to pick up the stroke to catch up to my feet I chased for the majority of the swim otherwise, after the initial mess, I had feet to follow and cruised. Seemed to get quite choppy the further we got down the course, probably from the incoming storms.

Time included a good hill run after exiting the water. I had 34:58 on my watch when I exited the water. And I stopped and smiled for the wife and camera :)

No wetsuits! That ruled!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Assigned rack spot, with plenty of room! Made it nice as no late comers would cover your gear up or push your stuff around. Race officials check transition throughout race to assure your stuff is in the right spot, if not time penalty's would be assessed.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

After clipping in and setting out on this ride with rain pouring down, a huge lightning bolt hit across the lake. Wow, they did say we were on our own and after driving the course yesterday I knew there were few if any spots to seek shelter. The rains were pretty relentless and just brutal at times, so bad that I was shocked I didn't have a contact wash out of my eye, and at times could only keep one eye open and watch the white line as I couldn't see a thing. I noticed the sky flashing, but tried to ignore it the best I could as I don't care for T-storms, especially while on a bike. It rained basically the entire time, either good and steady, or heavy with big time wind gust. Glad I didn't have a disc wheel, that would've been interesting. Stayed on the aero bars for the basically the entire ride, except to stand up and stretch on a couple occasions, or when grabbing some calories, swapping bottles out etc.

Besides maybe two rough miles (which was about normal for most Michigan roads), an athlete couldn't ask for an overall nicer course to ride. The roads were in excellent condition and were closed to traffic, which was AWESOME! I really enjoyed it even though the weather was less then ideal, which would be the understatement of the year!

Didn't understand the aid stations as no one offered Hammer Gels, not sure if I was suppose to yell for them, but I had my own and along with a Cliff Bar, did fine on nutrition. (1 bar, 3 gels, 3 melted endurolytes)

Nothing, it took awhile to get my HR down 8-10 miles, but it came down and I was real happy with it, and can't believe I broke 20 mph on my first HIM and I took it easy the last couple of miles as planned.

Bike computer was messed up, think it became water logged so I didn't really know how far I was or avg speed. Time for a new bike computer.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Okay, the rain had slowed and basically stopped when I arrived in T2, so I knew I had a dry pair of socks, top, hat, belt and running shoes in a garbage bag, nice and dry. So I took the time to change it all up. Never ran long in my tri top, so I didn't want to chance some nasty chafing or nip issues, so I went with the Sporthill top I like for long runs. I tried to smile for the camera again here.
Run
  • 2h 03m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

With my feet nice and dry, and exiting T2, another downpour came soaking all my wonderful dryness. Felt great off the bike, this is a real nice course with some rolling hills, but nothing major. I felt great til mile 5 or so, and the sun had come out really warming things up quickly and turning it into a soupy humid mess from all the rain that had fallen. I walked briefly at every water stop to get a few ounces of water, I alternated the even mile stops with either a Hammer Gel or Endurolytes, which worked great. By mile 10 or 11, the icy wet towels were simply awesome to just rub over my head and neck. Besides the aid stations, I walked on a few occasions in the last 4 miles, but not for long.

Article in the Muncie paper, stated temps rose to 86 with a heat index of 92 during the run.

I've only ran one road half mary, and it was a stand alone at 1:58, so doing another half mary under 2:04 was great after having done the swim and bike so well.

My last few long runs were pretty flat overall, should've done more time with a few more hills. Pack a few good flavored gels in my shorts, most of the aid stations only had one flavor of Hammer Gel, banana, vanilla (both terrible IMHO, and Orange which I tolerated). I really like, rasberry, expreso, or chocolate, which they had none, of course I did get an apple cinnamon which was rather tasty.

Never ran so long with such wet feet. I thought I'd have some major issues, but everything worked out. Not sure how much further I could've run, as having wet feet for so long was starting to cause troubles for my right foot, as it's 2/3 a size smaller then the left and never fits bike or run shoes real well. I ended up with a real small blister along the bottom of my foot.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed the wife, who endured a terrible day to watch me race! Walked around, chatted with Amy and her hubby. Had some liquids, gel and then grabbed a sandwich from the food tent, along with some pasta salad, and an ice cream bar.

Wish I could've waited around for Curegirl and hubby, but the wife was spent from this long day. After eating we didn't waste any time and headed for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For my first HIM, and hoping to break 6 hours, with a secret fantasy of 5:45, I couldn't have asked for more, and have no complaints at all. Sub 5:31, was never on the radar!

Have to thank the wife and kids for dealing with me and supporting me, and of course all the great Michigan (among other states) BT'ers that I've had the awesome chance to train with and keep me motivated. They all rule.

Event comments:

I was real happy to have made Muncie my first HIM. 600 participants on a great course. Volunteers were out there in the bad weather and were all great!

I thought they could've used more porta potties, and I really don't care for the swim time including a run up a hill, why not have near the beach (they were running it off of portable batteries). Whats the deal of having only one flavor of gel at the aid stations, a minimum of two would at least give someone a shot at finding something they may like. These are minor gripes that wouldn't keep me from going back. I hope to race Muncie again in the future.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:24 | 1931 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 169/590
Performance: Good
HR 160 avg
Suit: DeSoto 400 Shorts, 2XU Tri Top
Course: Triangluar
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:17 | 56 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Overall: 260/590
HR avg 146
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Beautiful closed course, which was pretty flat with a few long gentle grades.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 258/590
Performance: Average
HR avg 170 Max 186, Yikes! At the finish which was at the top of a hill.
Course: Nice rolling course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-12 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2008-07-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1525208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
I did the Sprint and really felt for you guys out there on the long course, the weather was certainly a factor and I'm sure it stressed a lot of people out!! I hope you had fun at Muncie and plan to come back next year armed with the knowledge of what to expect under worst case conditions.

Good Job!
2008-07-13 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Sandbagger! What an awesome race for your first HIM! You killed it! Thanks for representing Canton so well!
2008-07-14 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Hey great job! Thanks for stopping by my report! Maybe I'll catch you at another race sometime Smile
2008-07-14 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Great job.  It was tough conditions out there. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed