United States
Skagit County Parks & Recreation
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bagel cr cheese w/ 2 eggs early. 2 hr drive. Got there early as planned - Got an end spot in transition. Took 2 tylenol at 7:30 - was worried about my back since I didn't sleep that well. Set up, met up and chatted with other racers, BT'ers and RTB'ers. Picked up packet ate a Cliff bar appx. 8am. A couple of coffees early and water before the race.
Event warmup:

This was my first official race - I was pretty nervous. Stretched for about 15 minutes. Decided in advance to do a swim warm up to check the visibility and temp and get my face wet. Swam a couple hundred yards. I was feeling bouts of light headedness so just tried to keep moving and keep drinking water.
Swim
  • 11m 20s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt a little dizzy before the race. I wasn't sure but figured it was nerves and hoped it wouldn't effect me once I got going. The women started 4 min after the men. I got in front figuring I'd be able to stay with the FOP for the swim. Out to the first buoy I felt like my heart was racing - I think nerves, adrenaline, and going out too fast. I tried to calm it down and get in a rhythm. Considered stopping - as I started to panic a little but decided to put my head down and swim. Took a couple of gulps of lake water - yummy - but was able to keep going. Once at the second buoy I was able to settle was over 1/2 way through by then. I still felt like this was a really solid effort and am happy with the results. Great experience, good distance, and really nice conditions. Not too many around me so didn't have to deal with getting kicked, etc..
What would you do differently?:

Try to find my best pace and rhythm earlier. Maybe try some relaxation techniques before the swim. Train more in open water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I was dizzy so walked to T1. I didn't rush and don't plan to this year. I took some sips of gatorade and water. I didn't dry off at all which worked just fine.

Nothing
Bike
  • 57m
  • 14.8 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I had planned to really push this but I was worried about the run so just tried to ride my normal pace, which I did. Really pretty area - lots of horses and hills/flowers, etc.. a nice ride. As I suspected I was getting passed by ALOT of people. I started toward the front after the swim, but this quickly changed. In fact, I passed three people a guy riding with his son who had a bike with I think one gear and a woman whose left pedal broke off :)

Maybe push a bit harder
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

This went fine except I almost ran out with my helmet on my head! Ann's Avatar of me come to life :) Again I just took it easy, changed my shoes and tried to drink.

Remember to take off my helmet first?
Run
  • 57m
  • 4 miles
  • 14m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Well - My goal was to keep running. I walked I think about 1/4 of a mile which in hindsight I wish I hadn't, but remember at the time I felt like my HR was up too high. It was warm. I decided to run with my bike water bottle because they only had water at the turn around at 2 miles and I knew I'd need more I'm glad I did this and will do it again if it's a warm day - at least this year. I'm slow but finished, so I'm really happy with that. I haven't run this far since my mid - 20's so that's an accomplishment! It was funny - this couple was alternating run/walk - so they passed me (what else is new :) and then started walking - I figure I run slower than alot of people walk - but it turned out I passed them slowly on their walk- this was a theory my son had and I didn't want to have to prove him right! This being my first race I wanted to finish and I did - I'm glad I stuck it out. The people who couldn't pass me on the bike passed me on the run!

This is the seriously weak link. Biking I enjoy and know I'll keep improving as I bike more - but this is just hard for me. I'm determined to do a little better in my next race so I need to quit messing around and drop some weight - that will help and also I need to start running outside twice a week for 3 miles. I have a little over 1 mo until my next race so dropping 3 - 5 lbs is doable and running 2 x per week is doable - no excuses.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with BT'ers - grabbed my Gatorade from my bike and drank that - needed to keep moving for a couple of minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need more training on each discipline. More OWSing, more interval/hill training on the bike for longer rides, more outside sustained running, 5k or more.

Finish time is what was on the clock - not positive about each of the disciplines time - no timing chips so this if from my not so great memory. Swim time includes run to transition.

This was my first triathlon and I'm thrilled to have finished. It's hard to believe I finally did this at 46 after thinking about it for so many years. I didn't meet all of my goals, but met a couple and the biggest one - becoming a triathlete!! :)

Event comments:

The volunteers were pretty friendly. I guess I was expecting more water stations on the run but that could just be me. I really enjoyed the small town and community feel of the race. People were friendly. Packet pick up was really smooth. I liked the after race nosh - watermelon, oranges, bananas and bagels. I didn't see water but had my own. The kids tri was awesome and it was great to see a couple of 14 - 16 yo's out on the course with the rest of us. A really great day and great first tri experience for me!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:20 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Triangle - counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:00 | 14.8 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Funny - the brochure said "The bike course is relatively flat with a few short hills near the 5.5 mile mark." I think what they meant to say was - The course is mostly flat with a hill that starts at the 5.5 mi mark and extends to the 1/2 way point! It wasn't a huge hill but consistent climbing for a couple of miles. No big, I just kept waiting for the few short hills :) Going down was fun, except the road was so rough at one point I thought my tire was flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:00 | 04 miles | 14m 15s  min/mile
Course: flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 1:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Clear Lake Triathlon

2008-07-13 2:11 AM
in reply to: #1525427

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Clear Lake Triathlon
Awesome first tri! Great to get it under your belt eh?

BTW my first tri was a sprint tri as well, 400m swim. Donato did it with me and he said, "Don't start off the swim too fast and shoot your wad in the first 100m." I was thinking, "What am I, stupid?" But sure enough with all the excitement and people splashing around and I swam super fast to the first buoy and died... got out of the water with wobbly legs and exhausted.

Keep up the training and go for it on your 2nd tri!
2008-07-13 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1525442

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Great job on your first tri!  I know exactly how you feel about being pretty fast out of the water and seeing everyone catch you back on the run.  Happens to me every race.  The run is my weakness too. 

Good job out there!  When's the next?

2008-07-13 9:09 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Karen, congrats triathlete!  you did it! Cool  Sounds like you had a good time out there and learned quite a lot, which is what it's all about.  You can bank all that experience for your next race.  Way to go!
2008-07-13 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Hi Karen!  It was great meeting you and such an honor to be there to see you finish your first tri!  Way to go!!!!!!!!!!
2008-07-13 1:50 PM

User image

Great job Karen! Way to go on your first tri!

2008-07-13 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well done Karen!!!  Great job for your 1st triathlon!  It was super to finally get to meet you too
2008-07-13 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Way to go on your first tri!! Great job.
2008-07-13 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Awesome job, Karen! Congrats on your first tri... well done!!
2008-07-14 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
You did awesome for a first tri. It was a great day.
2008-07-14 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Karen, congratulations on your first tri!!  You rock!!!

I got so caught up reading your race report that I could feel the adrenaline surge!!!

2008-07-14 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job!  First of all, Great race, but secondly, great race report!  I have been questioning if/when I will start training for another tri as I haven't really been "missing" it since IMAZ.  Reading your RR reminded me that I do miss it.  Thanks!
2008-07-15 7:13 AM

Aurora, IL
Congratulations on your first tri!  You did awesome, it is a great feeling to cross that finish line and say wow I did it....As I was reading  your RR I felt like I was reading about myself (ok I'm not that great of a swimmer) Smile  But about the biking and the running, I am a slow runner as well and I do well on the bike but then darn those people pass me on the run, but hey you finished and that's what's important and you learned new things to apply to your next tri!  Have Fun! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake Triathlon Rss Feed