Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-07-17 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1525478

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: BTer Battling Brain Tumor

I didn't know Christine, but she is part of this BT family.

I have not been on BT too much for a couple of months, and was very saddened to read this thread. 

Prayers sent for her family and friends.

Contribution made to the paypall acct - wish it could be more.

Everyone remember to hug your family and friends, and let them know how much you love them.

Dan 

2008-07-17 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Words cannot express how terrible this is. I never knew Christine, but will run in her honor and have sent a donation to her family.

Edited by kimje 2008-07-17 7:34 PM
2008-07-18 6:20 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I ran my 5K tribute this morning to avoid the possibility of not getting the run in tonight due to forecasted storms.

2008-07-18 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1537531

User image

Veteran
Tri Take Me Away - 2008-07-17 3:12 PM

Thank you to everyone who has donated through paypal. The money donated will be going into a college fund for Christine's two sons. Please continue to support the fund and encourage others to do so, please.

why did this make a tuff ironman guy like me cry????? Oh man!!

ATHLETES RULE!!!!

totally

see ya on the course tonight Christine. I promise to smile some.

Todd
2008-07-18 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Lake Grove, NY

Ran my virtual 5k this morning.  Tears and sweat this morning.
This is terrible, simply terrible.  Thinking about it, still makes me choke up.
Certainly makes you appreciate what you have at home.

Our thoughts and prayers for Christine's husband and son's.

Pix after running 5k this morning

Edited by msailer 2008-07-18 8:22 AM
2008-07-18 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Even though I never met her I ran this morning for Christine. The morning sunshine turned the mountains and the cliffs a beautiful red color that hasn't been seen here in a while. 

Love to Christine's family and to those who love her.

Life is short, hug the ones you love!

2008-07-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1540170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
I signed up for the 5k the other day and ran it just now!
2008-07-18 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Just came in from a beautiful sunset run by the wateralls in the east  river  for my virtual 5k- for you Lucy, rest in peace.
2008-07-18 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Orlando
This is the post from my personal blog today. I have been reading all of the posts all week and was finally able to gather my thoughts. I wanted this blog to be on BT for everyone to see.

Live Like You Were Dying In Honor of Lucy

Tim McGraw sings a song entitled "Live Like You Were Dying." As I get older, I think more about the "To Do List" that I want to complete before I die. Today, this song takes on a new meaning.

I belong to an online community called Beginner Triathlete, BT. This community has tips and tricks, forums, race reports, gear reviews. Essentially anything that a newbie getting into triathlons for the first time or someone that is just trying to get better at their even would need. One of the greatest things about this community is all of the support you receive from people that you have never met.

One of these amazing people was Christine aka "Lucy". She passed away from a brain hemorrhage on Monday and left behind a husband and two boys. When the members of BT first heard that Lucy was in the hospital with what appeared to be a brain tumor, a call went out on the forums for prayers and support. Immediately the forum was flooded with well wishes, prayers and offers of help. Many of the posters like myself had never met Lucy, but had been the recipient of her support and well wishes. The forum became a place to post all of the things Lucy had done to help each of us.

Back in May I had completed my first Ironman 70.3 here in Orlando. Although I thought at the time I was prepared, when I finished what ended up being the worst run of my life, I was very discouraged about continuing my training towards the Ironman. I decided to post a race report on BT so that maybe just maybe someone else had an experience like mine and would post as well so we could commiserate.

Even though I don't remember seeing Lucy, she remembered me. She posted on my race report to tell me what a great job I had done just finishing. And as I read the posts from other members who had been touched in similar ways, I started to cry. I wish I remembered meeting Lucy. I wish I could do something to help. Over the rest of the weekend, every time I had a chance, I logged onto the computer to check for updates. I was praying for the best realizing that the worst was yet to come. On Monday, Lucy died.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow all over America, other BT members are running a virtual 5k to honor Lucy. The local running store in her town held a 5k in her honor, Hit the Trails XC Classic. All of the proceeds are going to Lucy's family. Many of the members of BT registered for this race even though they live hundreds of miles away, just to support the family.

Tomorrow I have a 13 mile training run. The first 5k of this run will be for Lucy. I know she will be there with me just as she was with all of us on BT. The rest of the run, I am sure will be spent checking off my "To Do List."

I want to thank you Lucy for making me remember that how you live you life is important. Thank you for reminding me that we don't know which day will be our last and we should appreciate what we have been given, what we have accomplished and what we have the ability to do. I am so thankful that I am healthy enough to train for an Ironman. I am so thankful that my daughters, my family and all of my friends are there to support me and lastly I am thankful that I have my "friends" on BT who support me as well.

I think that Pericles says it best, "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Christine has left behind a legacy of support and accomplishment that her family can be proud of! My only wish is that I leave behind a legacy as wonderful as hers.

This weekend no matter what you are doing whether it is spending time with family and friends or training or just relaxing, Live like you were dying in honor of Christine!

XOXOX,
Elizabeth
2008-07-18 10:32 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
In that spirit, I shared with my virtual running club about Christine, her accomplishments, her family and her demise. I also shared about her virtual run to honor her spirit. About 15 women who never heard of Christine, nor BT ran to honor her and her family today. The power is much greater than we all can know.
2008-07-19 8:47 PM

User image

These are dark days indeed, but it's not time to give up. Christine, you and your family will be in our prayers.
I just finished reading Lance Armstrong's book. The odds where against him in every way- and look what happened. He never gave up his fight and he goes on to win the freakin Tour de France!

2008-07-20 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
I did an 8k run this morning and paused at the 5k mark to say a prayer for Christine and family. May God bless them all.
2008-07-21 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I cannot even begin to express how deeply saddened I am by this terrible loss of what was a terrific lady.  Although I never met her, and I am so late in reading this terrible news, I know by reading through some of these posts, that she was an extrordinary woman.

As I said, somehow I missed this and didn't find out until this weekend when Maggyruth told me up in Racine....guess I have been so busy these past 2 weeks at work, I didn't go on the Triathlon Talk thread at all.

I have a 9 mile run scheduled this week and I will run it in honor of this terrific lady and her family.

I think my mom has a wonderful new friend up there in heaven!

So sad...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTer Battling Brain Tumor Rss Feed  

of 10