General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 1s
Overall Rank = 69/1147
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/156
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00AM and had my normal breakfast which is cereal. I packed everything up and left the house around 4:30PM and picked up my friend who was racing too. We arrived to the race site around 5:15. There were a lot of people there already and thankfully we got there when we did because the body marking line was not too long. It got extremely long about 30 minutes after we arrived. I set up my transition area and then walked the swim in, bike out, bike in and run out. This is very important to do at this race because the transition area is so large. I had 2 bananas and 1 gel and drank about 32 ounces of water.
Event warmup:

My friend and I left the transition area around 6:25 and found a nice area to watch the pros go off on the swim. Her heat was not supposed to leave until 7:50 and mine was set to leave at 8:05 wo we had quite a bit of time to relax. The pros are so fast its unbelievable. Granted, they don't have literally hundreds and hundreds of poeple to navigate through the swim, but still a 17 min 1500M swim is pretty damn fast. Around 7:20, we went for a 10 min jog to get warmed up. It was actually quite chilly with an overcast sky and chilly breeze. It was good we went for the jog and got a little sweat going. After the jog, we put on our wetsuits and walked down to the swim warm up area. After getting down there by walking over a series of bridges we noticed that the race starts for the age groupers were way behind...at least 20-30 minutes. Thankfully had our wetsuits on because it was quite cold down by the water. We saw a ton of people shivering which is just weird to see on mid July morning here. We did a 5 minute warm up or so. The water was a nice 76 degrees. My friend's heat ended up leaving around 8:15 (supposed to go at 7:50) and my heat left around 8:40 (supposed to leave at 8:05).
Swim
  • 30m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I was extremely disappointed with my swim time. My goal was 25 minutes. I actually felt pretty good in the water but there were just so many people to navigate I could not get a good stroke going. One of the big downsides to this race is all the poeple in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

There was not much else I could do different.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

The transition area for this race is HUGE so my time was not too bad. I did have a bit of the drunk feeling getting out of the water and running to my spot and it caused to me slow up a bit while trying to get my suit off and my shoes on.

Not sure I could do anything differently. Everything went about as a good as it could go.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I jumped on my bike and I immediately got a cramp in my right butt cheek. I have never had this happen before and bothered me for the first 15 minutes of the ride...thankfully it went away. The bike course is extremely fast and I was expecting to finish top 5 in my age group on the bike. Most of the course we were able to utilize both lanes of the road but there were a few sections were you could not and it was very difficult to navigate through people. It was like trying to drive in rush hour traffic only you are going way fast than everyone else. I could not believe the number of slow people riding on the left side of the roads. I politely yelled at a few poeple to move over. I was happy overall with the bike, though I know I could have gone a bit faster if there were not so many people on the course at the time I was on it. The pros and elite waves have such an advantage as they dont have to deal with all the traffic.

Nothing really.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I was very happy with my T2 time. I was 10th in my age group and 58th overall.

Nothing
Run
  • 44m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was okay with my run time. My goal was to average a 6 min 50 second mile but that did not happen. Again, I had a ton of people to navigate which sucked. So many slow runners were running on the left side of the path and many people were running in packs just talking. I found myself running in the grass a lot.

Maybe train a bit more on my speed.
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty spent after the race and got extremely cold. By that time, there was a very stiff breeze and it was quite chilly out of the sun. I grabbed a couple bottle waters and sat for about 15 minutes visiting with the people that came to watch me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The number of people at the race. My heat unfortunately was the last Olympic group to start so there were 1000+ people ahead of us.

Event comments:

This is a super fun race to do if you are looking for a triathlon in the Upper Midwest. The number of racers and spectators is just amazing. Be prepared for a ton of people on the race course.

Last updated: 2008-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:03 | 1500 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 43/156
Overall: 295/1147
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes...Xterra Vortex 2 LS
Course: A big rectangular swim with 2 bouys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:33 | 24.85 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/156
Overall: 28/1147
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Big loop along the Mississippi River and around Lake Harriet. Very fun route but it was quite windy in some spots and also very rough roads in certain areas.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:18 | 06.21 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/156
Overall: 101/1147
Performance: Average
Course: 2 very flat laps around Lake Nokomis
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 8:27 AM

Veteran
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

2008-07-13 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1525606

Veteran
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
My total race time was 2:25:03. It says 8 hours 40 minutes on the race report but I accidently put my start time instead of the race time. Does anyone know how to edit the race report? I can't seem to figure it out.
2008-07-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1525606

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

Great race! Solid performance across the board.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed