United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 37s
Overall Rank = 137/216
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 26/32
Pre-race routine:

Got there way too early, but went and got my reg packet. Went back to the car, pinned on the number and strolled around, strecthed and jogged a bit. Porta potty about three times
Event warmup:

Jogging, stretching, nothing particular
Run
  • 26m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I always start out too fast; today didn't disappoint. I felt good coming off the line and stayed with a group for a while. At the first mile, the woman calls out 7:35. I'm impressed, but realize that with limited training and coming off injury, I'm hammering it. Then, the hill comes and, of course, it sends the HR through the roof. I try and manage it as best I can, then after turning on Montauk Ave and on the shady downhil, I recover. At the mile 2 water table, I'm 16:02. OK, pace is slowing. The broiling hot, wide-open Bank street is always tough, but the hose sprinkler at the corner firehouse refreshes just before the finishing hill. Tilley St. is a longer hill, but not too steep. I pick up a few places, then finish the last few blocks dumping the tank. I manage to pick up about 6-8 places on my way in and, as I come down State St., I see that I'm under my goal time of 27. An excellent race under the circumstatnces.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I really accomplished everything I wanted today.
Post race
Warm down:

Free Italian Ice from a sponsor wasn't too bad!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First run race since coming back from achilles surgery in November, so I was worried about how I'd manage. My training runs have been mixed, but a bout with Lyme disease explains a lot from last month.

Event comments:

This is my 4th time at Sailfest, so I guess I like something about it...

Full results at: http://www.snerro.com/SNERRO%20/Results_files/SFEST%2008%20ALL.HTM

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:37 | 03.11 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/32
Overall: 137/216
Performance: Good
Course: Wide open and broiling hot. Either down or up hill, very little flat. One double hill right before 1/2 way and another one just after mile 2.5. It's the heat that gets you more than the terrain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes