United States
Muncie Endurathon
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 00m 2s
Overall Rank = /570
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/69
Pre-race routine:

Wake up try to eat something which didn't work out to well! Finally choked down a pop-tart and some coffee.
Event warmup:

Not much...storms were moving in and they bumped up the start of the race which made everyone scramble!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2310 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, what can you say. I've trained for this event for 6 months and I had 3 false starts yesterday on the swim. The water was rough and I was having a hard time getting into a breathing pattern. I swallowed a lot of whater on all 3 attemps. I finally decided that the water conditions where too much for my current abilities and I aborted the swim. I notified race officials and had them make sure I wasn't scored but I wanted to continue on the bike and run which they let me do. After struggling so much I just about exhausted myself just getting back to shore as by this time I was scared tired and out of breath!
What would you do differently?:

Don't know...get more comfortable with rough open water!!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 2s
Bike
  • 2h 34m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Man did it rain! Once we turned dead into the west the rain felt like needles! It was a rainy windy ride but I was pleased with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

??? Not muh it felt pretty darn good.
Transition 2
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

A little slow but I had to pee really bad...I must have peed for two minutes straight!
Run
  • 1h 33m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I had an excellent run!
Post race
Event comments:

Not sure that I completely agree with RD's decision to rush the start. There were still hundreds of people in the water when the storm hit and quite honestly I'm glad I wasn't one of them. I understand the decsion and respect it but still thought it was very risky.

Last updated: 2008-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2310 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/570
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blued Seventy pointzero3
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:34:01 | 56 miles | 21.82 mile/hr
Overall: 98/570
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:33:44 | 13.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 24/570
Course: Out and back with continual rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: Muncie Endurathon
Well, I'm not quite sure what to call this one!!! DNS - with a finish! I'm not the most confident open water swimmer and yesterday's conditions did not help me! A storm was rolling in quickly and the water was getting very rough. I attempted to start with my wave and just could not get my breathing down in the rough water. I tried to start with two other waves and finally decided that the conditions were too tough for my abilities.

As we walked down to the water the thunder had started. I was hoping for them to cancel the swim because I could see how rough the water was. There were a bunch of people in the water still when nasty lightening moved in!

I reported my number to officials walked down to the finish timing mat and crossed it heading up to transition. The official that took my number just scratched it down on a piece of paper and I wanted to make sure that they didn't show any missing swimmers.

Now I figured I paid my money and I reported to an official and cleared it so what the heck I'm biking and running. I had a very good bike and an excellent run! If I can get this swimming thing figured out I think I'll do well.

Out of 590 I ranked 98th on the bike and 24th on the run! Man I need to get this swimming under control. But bottom line is I chose to make a call for my safety and I have no regrets.

Edited by jmickle11 2008-07-13 12:29 PM

2008-07-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1525851

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Nice times on your bikerun half iron. Once you get that swimming down you should able to kick major arse. I think the swims in tri's get much better after the first 1/4 of the swim once folks spread out a bit, of course with the shortened times between waves, I caught up with most in the wave or two ahead of me, making the last section pretty busy too.

Must be nice to have such a nice event in your own backyard. Glad I made the Endurathon my first half, I hope to try this one again someday.
2008-07-13 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1525851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Knowing the limits of your abilities in the water and making the decision to pull out under those conditions was a smart, and safe move on your part as opposed to what could have happened if you went against your instinct. Good to see that you were able to do the bike and run and that you did well on both of those!

On one hand I wish we would've had it today instead, absolutely beautiful clear blue skies this morning.. but on the other, yesterday was an adventure I think we all learned a lot from.
2008-07-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1526164

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
G-Moose - 2008-07-13 6:03 PM

Knowing the limits of your abilities in the water and making the decision to pull out under those conditions was a smart, and safe move on your part as opposed to what could have happened if you went against your instinct. Good to see that you were able to do the bike and run and that you did well on both of those!

On one hand I wish we would've had it today instead, absolutely beautiful clear blue skies this morning.. but on the other, yesterday was an adventure I think we all learned a lot from.

Yes, today probably would have been much better! I probably would have done better on the swim! I'll get this figured out!!! Thanks!
2008-07-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1525945

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
rottieguy - 2008-07-13 2:47 PM

Nice times on your bikerun half iron. Once you get that swimming down you should able to kick major arse. I think the swims in tri's get much better after the first 1/4 of the swim once folks spread out a bit, of course with the shortened times between waves, I caught up with most in the wave or two ahead of me, making the last section pretty busy too.

Must be nice to have such a nice event in your own backyard. Glad I made the Endurathon my first half, I hope to try this one again someday.

I just kept telling myself on the run...if I could just get the swim down I might do well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed