Muncie, Indiana
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 44m 3s
Overall Rank = 318/590
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up very eary (3:30am) after maybe 2 hours of sleep. Had some coffee and oatmeal with almonds and got everthing ready. Had to carry 3 bags and my bike down the stairs in the hotel, maybe I should put that under "event warmup"
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 38m
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water is too warm... no wetsuit allowed! Water was quite a bit choppy, there was a big storm rolling in. Got in the water with my wave which was small, and I stayed towards the outside to avoid the traffic. The first leg out felt pretty good, although I still was really nervous and anxious. Then I made the first turn and could really feel the chop. It started to get more crowded from the fast people in the wave behind us catching up and also from reaching the slower people in wave before us. By the third leg I was bumping into people a lot, no contact that was too hard that hurt, but I had to look up a lot to find an open spot in the water.
What would you do differently?:

More positive self-talk. Physically I was doing great but my head was still spinning with doubt and worry through the whole swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Got out of the water and the sky was dark, it was pooring rain and there was thunder and lightning very near. Ran up a big hill in the grass to T1, first I entered the wrong transition area (for the sprint race), backed up and got in the right area..oops! Put on my regular glasses b/c it was way too dark for sunglasses. I put on my Garmin... I never wore it in the rain before, but I took the chance with it. I put my bag over my running shoes in hopes that they would stay somewhat dry.

Pay attention and enter the correct transition area.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

It was pooring rain for most of this ride. There was also thunder and lightning on and off. I just about stopped for all turns because I didn't want to risk skidding off the road. This is my weakest part, so I was not surprised to keep getting passed throughout the ride. This was a very fast course even in the rain, and so my average speed was much higher than normal. I tried to take advantage of the downhills, but again in the heavy rain I may have held back a little because I was nervous about losing control.
Physically I felt pretty good until about mile 35-40. Then my right knee started to hurt. I kept moving around on the seat, in and out of aero, forward and back, etc. this helped a bit.
I thought that my nutrition plan worked perfectly, energy-wise I felt great the whole time.

There is something in my bike set-up that is still a problem for my right knee. I think I could have pushed a bit harder had my knee felt better. If the roads were dry I would have gone faster through the turns and down the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Everything was soaked through and it was still raining so I didn't bother with sunblock. Took me a little while to find my spot but then I got ready for the run quickly.

Pay more attention to where my spot is so I don't waste time looking for it.
Run
  • 1h 55m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I started this run with all of the energy in the world and I was so excited to be running. The sun came out and it started to get hot. At first my legs were flying and felt great! I was doing a 7 something pace and really having a great time. Then at mile 6, my right knee started to hurt. Ignored it for a bit, but it got worse and worse and I slowed down more and more. Soon I was limp/running questioning if I should stop and walk or not. I chose to push through the pain, so the last 5-6 miles were very, very tough for me because I was making everything else work harder so I could run without bending my right knee much. This was very tough on the hills.

Keep a spare knee in T2? No really, I could have run faster without the knee pain... not much I could do about that.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to the med tent to ice my knee afterwards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee pain and heavy rain

Event comments:

Many great volunteers out all day in the pooring rain, hats off to them!

Last updated: 2008-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:00 | 2310 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 216/590
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:48 | 56 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 433/590
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: A very fast course. Mostly flat out and back with a few rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:55:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 168/590
Performance:
Course: Hilly out and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2008-07-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1525857

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon

great job claire, you have a lot to be proud about!!!  sorry about the knee though, i hope it recovers more quickly than your estimated timeframe.

that's pretty crazy about the rain, thunder, and lightning!  i know they called kansas before it was over because of thunder and lightning, interesting that for this race, the show went on.  i guess i'm glad it did because you had a great race! 

2008-07-13 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Great race, wish we could've met to say hi. Impressive times especially with the knee problems.

Steve
2008-07-14 1:12 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Wow!  You did awesome!  Great job!  Now, heal that knee!  Do you get massages?
2008-07-14 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Congrats.  What a great race.  I couldn't have pulled your times with 2 good knees and a jetpack.  Way to go.
2008-07-14 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Congrats on a great race   You ROCKED the swim!

I hope your knee isn't anything serious.  You were able to finish with a good pace on the run even with the bum knee!  3rd in AG on the run whoo hoo!!

2008-07-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1527963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
vball03umd - 2008-07-14 12:33 PM

Congrats on a great race   You ROCKED the swim!

I hope your knee isn't anything serious.  You were able to finish with a good pace on the run even with the bum knee!  3rd in AG on the run whoo hoo!!

Thanks! Actually I was 4th not 3rd, guess I can't read (or spell) all that well right after a race

2008-07-14 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1528105

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Nice work!  That's hauling!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed