United States
Dallas Athletics
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove over from my friend's house in north Ft Worth. I really didn't expect to have a :45 - :50min drive to get there, oh well.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam around for a bit. I really need to warm-up more for these, as you will see later in the RR.
Swim
  • 11m 13s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first wave start, and boy, was that a wake-up call. I lined up towards the back, and to the left to go wide around the bouy. Problem #1 - there was a rope with small little bouys attached that squeezed all the women together into a small group, and going to that first bouy, which was 1/3 of the swim, I never got to put my head down and take a front crawl stroke because of the massive amount of people around me, and feet in my face. And looking around, other people were having the same problem as well. After I got around the bouy, I was able to do a bit better, and after the second bouy, I actually had mostly clear water. Took long enough.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out a better place to line-up, maybe even see if I can brave it and go more towards the front.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

There was a long run up, which contributed to this longer time, but overall I just wasn't in a hurry and decided to take my time and allow my HR to come down some. It was in the 170s after that swim, so I needed it down.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 30s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 15.64 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went okay, but showed why I really need to warm-up. I came out and did decent, averaging around 15mph. Not fast, but comparable to what I had expected. I was mainly disappointed that my legs weren't working on the hills, which is usually my strong point. It was around mile 13, right after the steepest hill that I had to granny gear, that my legs finally decided to work and I finally got comfortable in the aero position. My avg speed jumped up to 15.6 for the entire course, and I felt great coming into transition.

I really need to warm-up for at least 5miles before the race. Maybe then I will actually be able to race with good legs.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

This transition went a little better. Still needs some work
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This was one of my better runs. As I was coming out of transition area, I noticed that my time was 1:24, and it occured to me that I might be able to get in at 2:00, which would have far exceeded my goals for this race. I did the first 1/2 of the run really watching my HR instead of how I felt, which wasn't a good thing. When I hit the 2mile marker, I had 11minutes to get back in under 2:00. So at that point I said screw the HR monitor, and just went for it, and ended up coming in at 1:59. And I still felt great and like I could have kept on going.

Listen to my body instead of the HR monitor numbers. If I had listened to how I felt, I would have been a couple of minutes faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, met up with TexasMPGal, and met some other BTers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of warm-up, and paying too much attention to the HR monitor on the run.

Event comments:

Overall a good race, although the whole disco thing was a little weird. Fun, but weird. I didn't have many expectations for me coming into the race as it's my first one of the year because of injury. But I performed much better than I had expected. My initial goals were: swim 10-12min, bike 1:05 - 1:20, and run :35-40. I met every one of those goals, and was on the lower end of them. I went back and looked at my old race logs, and for the ones that were a 5K run, this was my second fastest ever during a tri. So I am making improvements here, but I still have a lot of work left to do on the run. (and other parts as well)

Last updated: 2008-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:13 | 500 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none - just my tri outfit
Course: Out to the first bouy, turn right to the second, then back to shore
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:30 | 17.6 miles | 15.64 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. It rained some, especially near the turn-around, to make it nice and slippery. Not much rain, just kinda a steady drizzle - enough to irritate ya. There were more hills on this than I expected, including one that I had to granny all the way. It wasn't long, but was pretty steep.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Some slight hills, but nothing steep or drastic by any means. But had some gradual elevation changes. Entire thing was in the shade
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Subject: Disco Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1526049

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Sprint Triathlon
Great meeting you this afternoon.  Great race too!
2008-07-13 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Nicely done and way to meet your goals.  I watched your swim wave and it looked congested...fun times!

Chris

2008-07-13 7:42 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

yay! way to kick of the season!! You did well--and yes that was a busy wave start.  If you want, I can beat you up next time we OWS as practice! (just kidding)  Great job!! Glad to have you the Bell County area with me now!!

2008-07-13 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Nice job out there today!
2008-07-14 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there !!

2008-07-17 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

That was a great race!  Really congested....you are right!  That first buoy was crowded for me.

CONGRATS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed