General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morden, Manitoba
Canada
Winnipeg IronCops
18C / 64F
Precipitation
Total Time = 8h 33m 24s
Overall Rank = 77/81
Age Group = 30 - 39
Age Group Rank = 23/24
Pre-race routine:

I ate a ton of carbs the week before the event. I rode a little did one small jog and just took it easy. I figured out my nutrition needs based on what I would normally take in during training. It looked like a lot...I went through it on race day though!
Event warmup:

Arrived about 1:10 early, set up my transition area. Walked down to the beach and watched them place the buoys for the swim. I couldn't help but think OK fellas that's far enough, you can stop anytime. I really didn't warm up physically. I did however warm up mentally while I watched the water...I tried to think positive and I tried to think of why I was here doing this and how far my journey has taken me...and really just how proud I was to be in a position to begin to attempt a HIM race. I felt very ready and very calm.
Swim
  • 1h 04m 18s
  • 1900 meters
  • 03m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

I entered the water behind everyone and got into my rhythm quickly. I felt great my sighting was great. After I made the left turn around the first I realized that the wind was kicking up a huge chop. I was on fire though because I was timing my strokes and breathing so that the waves would break over my head while it was in the water and my breaths were between waves! I was very happy with that. When I finished my first lap there was a triathlon official trying to wave me to the transition chute and everyone was screaming and cheering...I looked at him and said that was my first lap...I still have one more, but if you want I'll jump on my bike now! The crowd was laughing and I think they even cheered me harder after that!! I felt really alone on my second lap. The waves were now white caps and I kept going...it was really cool, I felt calm and steady, I didn't panic I just rolled with the conditions. Conditions which I would think were possible some of the worst we could have around here.

What would you do differently?:

Given the crappy conditions and the white caps on the second lap there is not anything I could do to make this swim any better than it was. Other than train more etc...this was thew best I could have hoped for. It must be said that I didn't really swim until this last Christmas when I took stroke development classes. Swimming was never something I did...ever!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I took my time in T1. I knew I was in for a long ride so I just sat down striped my suit off and put my socks on and rested for maybe 30 - 40 seconds.

Nothing
Bike
  • 4h 50m 2s
  • 90 kms
  • 18.62 km/hr
Comments:

That was the hardest bike ride I've ever been on. There were many people turning around and calling it a day. The first 30k (approx) were dead square into a wind of 50km/h with gusts up to 70km/h...oh ya and it is up a gradual incline too! It was very difficult to even hold a straight line. Forget about riding fast! I looked down and could not believe it that I was going as hard as I could and still the speedo would tell me 12km/h...wow! On another section of the course we rode for about 40k with very difficult side winds. There were a couple of downhills and a couple of "category 1" climbs (they felt like that to me!!) It's easy going down these hills but the cross winds really freaked me out...I rode the brakes most of the way down :(. By now the rain had started and it wasn't a nice warm rain...no...it was like little bullets, nice! I did really well on the first 2 climbs, shifted nicely and kept my cadence up. I controlled my breathing nice. On the last big climb I decided about 1/2 the way up to pack it in...it was about 1km up into the wind, with little rain bullets...I walked the rest of the way up. I am OK with that...no sense killing yourself just to climb a hill. You have to remember that I still do weigh 225lbs!!! It takes a lot of grease to get my arse up anything! It was a good call as that little walk break (about 5 minutes) gave my legs a fresh feeling when I "re-mounted my machine"! The last 20k or so was straight down wind. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! that was nice I did not touch my pedals much I just coasted back down and let the wind push me (about 40km/k!)

There were many times I thought about throwing in the towel. I wanted to get off the bike and just go somewhere warm...maybe get a coffee, there was a Timmy's just out side the race sight. There were many times I thought well I'm on the bike course there aren't that many officials...how the hell would I drop out anyways! I guess I'll have to make the best of it and ride, ride, ride...no wait that should have been survive, survive, survive. No amount of training could have prepared me for the conditions we faced. I know if others could do it in 3:30 so could I...they faced the same conditions etc...they however don't carry the same amount of fun jelly on there skinny little frames as I do. I am very happy that I was able to squish the little voice in my head that says..."you should pack it in boy, you don't need to be here...you don't belong."

I am so proud of my performance on the bike at this event...I can't put words to it. I FINISHED IT,YES I DID IT.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

"HEY ARE THERE ANY CUT OFF TIMES HERE?"

Thankfully no there is not! Racked the bike. An official came over to "chat" with me as I changed...she was awesome as she was assessing my capacities to continue, very positive! People in this sport are the best...even though I am slow and sucking gas big time they cheer you on...as hard if not harder than the top athletes. It really is an emotional thing for me...it just pumps me up...it says so much about the human spirit and what true sportsmanship is all about. I try very hard to thank everyone on the course especially the volunteers who have to wait for people like me to finish.

I flipped my shoes on put my fuel belt on and ran out the chute to start my run...full of positive energy.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 39m 6s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 32s  min/km
Comments:

My plan was to run 8 and 1's. I stuck to that plan for the entire run...I set the auto pilot on slow and steady and enjoyed the scenery. I could have run a little faster...but I didn't know how far "the wall" was at this point and I wanted to finish this thing off in good shape and happy. I drank at every aid station and joked with the volunteers a lot each time I'd pass them...in case you didn't know me that well...I tend to joke around when I feel stressed it helps to calm me down...it's just who I am. The worst thing about this run is that you have to pass by a Dairy Queen 4 times!!! The only time I walked when I should have been running was up a really steep incline on the golf course...it just didn't make sense to run up it. That would have waisted too much energy for me.

I could have done 10 and 1's or even just took a walk break at each aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretches...a visit to that damn Dairy Queen. (small blizzard please, I think I earned it!!) It was funny all the old people looking at the numbers on the back of my calves..."ya'll know ya got some felt pen on ya there, boy!"

yes I know!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Certainly not my mental approach...I was a mental machine fighting away the negative thoughts.

I do know that I must keep working on dropping weight...I have lost 70lbs since I've taken up the triathlon lifestyle...I need to make up a shirt that says that! I will never be a fast athlete, am have no misconceptions about that. My swim stroke could improve of course...have you ever seen how fast a walrus can swim? My running is what it is...a slow shuffle. On the bike, which by the way is very aerodynamic, my body shape and size makes it difficult to climb (down hills are scarier than hell!) I am generally happy with my regular bike performances.

I just need to keep up with what I am doing and most importantly keep the positive attitude I have.

Event comments:

The volunteers at all the events I've done are awesome. This event was very difficult both physically and mentally. It was very welcoming to see the smiling faces of the people who give up their personal time, just so that people like me can chase their dreams.

In the past year and a half I have gone from couch potato to duathlete to triathlete. I've dropped 70lbs, I have a huge store of energy, I can chase my 6 year old son around all day and not break a sweat...my wife likes what she sees ;) and I've made some great new friends.

I was warned a little while back that this tri thing is addictive...all I can say is: "where can I score my next fix?"

Last updated: 2008-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:18 | 1900 meters | 03m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/81
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: The course was a 950m triangle done twice.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 20F / -7C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:50:02 | 90 kms | 18.62 km/hr
Overall: 71/81
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with a very large "dip" at the 3/4 mark. Roads were very bumpy and there were seams and cracks everywhere.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:39:06 | 21.1 kms | 07m 32s  min/km
Overall: 74/81
Course: 2 laps of a 10km loop through residential areas, a park and a golf course. A lot of elevation change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2008-07-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1526296

User image

Winnipeg
Subject: RE: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

good report, as for the addiction thing....well when i first started i remember saying "well it's not like i'm gonna do ironman!"

watch out!

2008-07-13 11:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
You finished and that is a lot better than most. You had an exceptional run - you should see mine from last year when it wasn't so effen windy. Hold your head up high, now that the wind has died down...You have achieved great things...I was there. I know!
2008-07-14 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats... your race reports reads like such an inspiring story. You have the tools to finish an ironman, not only is it physical but mental as well, and you truely demonstrated that by finishing in 70k winds. Amazing dude, great race report!

You should join us at Square lake this september!!! Another half ironman!
2008-07-14 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Wow, I was just perusing blogs, and thought "I wonder what Chudley's been up to...." and holy wowsa, you are amazing!!  Finishing your first half iron.  Awesome job!!!  You motivate all us 'gravitationally-challenged' athletes to just do it for ourselves and enjoy the journey. Well done!
2008-07-14 10:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-15 9:11 AM

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Congrats on finishing!  I'm sure we crossed paths a few times on the run.  The fact that we crushed that voice that wanted us to quit is awesome!
2008-07-15 9:06 PM

Calgary, Canada
Congratulation Scott

Great race report, very inspiring to see you conquering the conditions. Your mental flexibility is amazing and sure more races are to come. Thanks for sharing your experiences
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed