United States
Pirhana Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 16s
Overall Rank = 116/378
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/56
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:30AM. Got a shower, dressed, and had some breakfast at 5AM. Ate a PowerBar, drank water and an Ensure. Left for the transition area, which opened at 6:00. We parked the car and started getting everything ready. I took my bike off the car rack, and started pumping up my front tire. However, the air was not going in, so when I took the pump off the presta valve cap, the cap fell off. Unbelievable!! I didn't need anymore practice changing tubes, but it needed to be done.

After getting the tire fixed (in record time I must add, which I was very pleased with) I headed to transition. Then came some shocking news...NO WETSUITS! Water temperature was reading 83.3 degrees and it was NOT allowed, no exceptions. I was highly dissappointed, that thought of possibly not being allowed to swim without a wetsuit never even crossed my mind. Oh well, nothing you can do but swim without it.

Fixed everything up in transition. I was dissappointed I was going to have to put my shirt on after the swim, which I had trouble a few weeks back at the Westminster Sprint Tri.
Event warmup:

About 7AM went for a jog to the swim start area, and then ran the first mile of the run course, stretched, and then ran back. The warmup felt good, and I sure enjoy doing that pre race because entering the swim my body feels ready to go.
Swim
  • 26m 36s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

We entered the water by walking down a dock with about 100 or more steps, and jumped in the water. The starting line was about 50-75 yards from the dock, so it was nice to get a little bit of warmup in.

Overall, the swim went well. Sighting was Ok, I think I could have stayed a bit closer to the buoys, but probably didn't get too far out of line. I did get hit once and my goggles ended up down around my mouth, so I had to stop and regroup. Without a wetsuit, I was pleased with this swim. My swims have been something positive each race so far, and that trend continued here. My time of 26:36 included the jog back up the 100 or so steps of the dock, and then a jog all the way to the bike transition, which was another 100 or so yards away. If I knock about 1:30 off that time, my actual in-water swim time was great! Even more so not having a wetsuit on! I was very pleased!!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Trouble with getting the shirt on once again. Oh well, nothing I could do other than buy a Tri suit, but not a necessity right now.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 29s
  • 27 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was tough for me. It had some nice gradual inclines, some rolling hills, some fun roads, and then the hill at mile 22 which wiped me out. It was long and tiring carrying my 6'8" body up this hill. My legs were feeling it afterwards. It doesn't help that I also carry a large aluminum frame road bike either, but that's about to change very soon!! My chain popped about halfway through, so I had to get off and fix that. My hands were all black and greasy, which is always annoying but I'm glad it wasn't a flat or something worse.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Good transition. Racked the bike, helmet off, visor on, race belt on, socks and shoes on and off I went.
Run
  • 41m 55s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I have yet to put together a nice run at a race. My legs were fatigued from the bike, and I ended up walking about 15-20 seconds each mile and at every aid station. It was so HOT, about 90-degrees. I'm used to running in cooler temps because of my morning workouts. After all was said and done with this run, I was very discouraged and down a bit. It wasn't until later in the evening when the splits came out that I was pleasantly surprised to find out I ran an 8:23 pace. I for sure thought it would have been in the mid 9's with all of the walking I did.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in the HEAT!!! I have to practice in race condition weather, which is hotter than the early morning temperatures I am so used to trainig in. The unfortunate part is with family and a full time job, the mornings will have to work during the week. However, the weekends should give me that opportunity if I can work a plan out with Bec when the kids go down for a nap that she won't mind I head out for a long bike or run.
Post race

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:36 | 1760 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 75/378
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Diamond course from left to right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes