RACING UNDERGROUND
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 46s
Overall Rank = 49/233
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:45, had a bowl of cereal, made a smoothie and filled a travel mug to take with me, drank the rest. Dressed and headed out to the "new" van which I loaded the night before. Got going about 5:10, 20 minutes later I realized I left my travel smoothie on the counter :(
Grabbed transition spot, checked in, set up transition and went about getting ready for a warm up.
So I switched around pre race breakfasts (TMI warning) and also had a much different "potty pattern" Wasn't sure how this was going to go, but it is what it is.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out to run through the gears and get the body ready. Came back for the pre-race briefing. Put on my running shoes and went about trying to find an alternative to the port o potty line as my run warm up. Wasn't overly successful in that endeavor. Went to the start line and watched the elites take off, had a gel after they left, watched wave "b" and then went to the start line. didn't really do anything else to warm up.
Run
  • 20m 28s
  • 2.96 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out at what felt fairly easy. Got in behind a couple of folks from an older age group for a while (til they dropped me) was pleasantly surprised at the first mile time but hit the second mile and said "no way" guy next to me said it was .85 and that made sense. Started working a little harder than I wanted to on the way in, so I eased off a bit to keep it in zone 4.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know, it was a pretty good and controlled effort for me, had it been a full 5k, it would have been an adult PR (nice thing about flat courses and down 900 feet in elevation.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Came into transition and went down the wrong isle, not a big deal though since I was right on the end, it only added a couple of steps. Got everything off and on and got moving. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get the left shoe on correctly and it was bunched up, spent a few seconds after I was on the bike to get that straightened out. As I was fiddling with it, a younger clyde went by me. I dropped way back from him but in the end only lost 30 seconds on the ride.

Hit the right isle, and get my shoes on smoothly.
Bike
  • 50m 31s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 21.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Let's start this by saying I got crushed on the bike by the fastest Clydesdale today, he beat me by 4:25 on the bike. I went out with a goal of staying right in zone 4 the whole way but as I got going, it seemed right to be in low zone 5 so I decided to roll with it and see what happened, I wanted to risk pushing it a little and seeing what I had. The folks that came out of transition ahead of me dangled out there for a while and then I lost contact with them. I started passing several folks but had one guy come flying around me at one of the corners. Later, another guy just screamed past(thinking back, that was probably the winner of the Clydesdale division.) Other than that, I think I maintained or moved up. After the last turnaround, my HR dropped and I couldn't get it back up for a while. In the last 2 miles, I tried to stretch out my hamstrings a bit as they were squawking at me. Seeing the over 50 time, I was a little disappointed, but then again, I have not put in the work to get better.

Get myself to spin a little less and push a bigger gear?
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

This went well, only thing was I didn't hit lap on my watch til the bike was racked and the helmet off. If that is the worst thing I do in T2 I could live with that.

hit the lap button at the proper time
Run
  • 21m 24s
  • 2.95 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition and was just shuffling along, didn't feel like I could stride out at all and keep going, but my stride rate was way high. Passed one person right away and then saw someone who looked a little "more solid" up ahead of me. Just kept steppin'. Pulled him in spoke a bit and then went onward. Occasionally looking behind me, but mostly moving forward. Walked through the water station and had a cup and got moving again. Saw a couple of folks up ahead of me that I though I could catch (one of which was one of the "older guys" who dropped me on the first run) I was slowly pulling him in while realizing that the other folks were distancing me. I kept checking behind and figured I wouldn't be caught so after I passed the one guy, I just put in on cruise control since I wouldn't affect my position and didn't see and "time barriers" that I could break.

Try and increase my stride length while keeping a good stride rate.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with a couple of the Clydes, and then went back out to the "corner" on an easy jog (about 12 minutes round trip with stretching time

What limited your ability to perform faster:

6 weeks of "relaxed" workout intensity and volume, some wind on the bike,

Event comments:

Last race in the Mile Hi Duathlon Series. The church where the event was staged provided the volunteers on the course and did a breakfast burrito "bar" after the race.

Thinking about the race, it seems like the whole was greater than the sum of the parts - my overall placing was higher than any of the individual events. Also, if I had been racing age group, it would have been my best finish - although 3 of the fastest folks were not there (F4 coaching staff)

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:28 | 02.96 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 85/233
Performance: Good
6:39 6:00 (.85) 7:46 (1.1)
Course: county roads, flat with a "slight" rise out to the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:50:31 | 18.2 miles | 21.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 54/233
I have read multiple reports of the course being 18.2 so I am going with that. I spent 85% of the ride in zone 4/5. Good effort.
Wind: Some
Course: FLAT County roads with several turns and a pair of turn arounds so you can get a good look at your competition (and all the really fast folks that you don't always get to see.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:24 | 02.95 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 69/233
7:11 6:18 (.85) (7:24 pace) 7:54 (1.1) (7:12 pace)
Course: same run except for the first 50 yds or so.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Cabbage Head Duathlon

2008-07-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1526653

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cabbage Head Duathlon
Great job out there.  Way to smoke both of the runs.
2008-07-14 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great bike there and runs as well! Congratulations on the age group placing. No chance for me, these duathlon guys are crazy fast...
2008-07-15 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Congratulations! Great job on the race and placing!

2008-07-18 9:47 AM

User image

Westminster, CO
very good job Scott and great podium!  I like the way you pushed your limits, esp. on the bike.  now that's racing!  tough!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cabbage Head Duathlon Rss Feed