United States
PB Performance
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 45m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30 ate my oatmeal and packed up the car with all my gear. Loaded up one husband and daughter and away we went.
Event warmup:

I had planned to warm up but once I got my transition area set up the way I wanted it and checked in there wasn't any time left. Got into my wetsuit just before we had to enter the water. OLY race had started an hour sooner.
Swim
  • 33m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 04m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

things went good, I was siting the shore line and kept track of where I was. I swam the course fairly straight without getting off. Didn't draft just tried to stay out of the of faster swimmers. This was my best event of the race yesterday.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't say I was paniced at first but... I was thinking of everything else instead of my technique ie the deep water, the temp, was I siting ok etc. Once I started to swim the way I had practice and relaxed things went fast for me.
Differently I would conctrate on my stroke and forget worrying. I need to practice my breathing more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My T-1 went smooth had everything laid out well.

over all it was good
Bike
  • 2h 10m
  • 13 miles
  • 6.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The 11% grade hill that takes up the first mile of the course is a beast ! I got out of the right gear and was unable to get it back into gear so I walked that bike up that hill the whole way. I wasn't alone had a few others for company once we got to the top we rode our bikes to the turn around. I saw a rattle snake on the side of the road..heard him first ..that was a surprise ! On the way back I became sick and light headed almost ran out of water. I would have quit if there had been anyone there to pick me up at one point. When I got back to the hill for the decent I rode the brakes so hard my hands cramped! But I got finished and in one piece!

Train on more hills, learn how to gear for going up and down them better. Take more water or sports drinks with me. I got dehydrated on both tri's during the bike portion.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T-2 went pretty well, had my stuff organized better this race
Run
  • 1h 00m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 19m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time I was exhasted from the long bike portion of the race but I knew the hardest part was over and I was going to finish. I was too tired to run so I walked the whole way. Had 2 bottles of Gatorade and some Sports Beans in my Fuel Belt which was a life saver !

If the bike had gone better the run would have been faster and stronger.
Post race
Warm down:

I was extremely hot after the run so I iced down my core right away. That was very helpful within 30 mins I was feeling much better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The level of difficulty was high for my ability. I did this one to finish, I have no idea of my times yet they have not been posted. This one was for me to know and believe that I could finsh something I started- a triathlon. It was for the group at Weight Watchers because so many of them wished me good luck I wasn't going to let them down. Because there are so many of us that start losing weight and excersing and then quit when it gets to be too hard.
I cried when I crossed the finish line I was so happy to have done it this time there was no option to quit !!!

Event comments:

Nice race, a good one for those who want a challenging course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:39 | 820 yards | 04m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: NeoSport Full wetsuit
Course: T-course, you waded out a ways from the shore swam half the distance to the first bouy and the other half back to the other bouy,tee'd back to shoreline.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:10:00 | 13 miles | 6.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: nast hilly climb at first, rolling hills after that. No shoulder to the road to speak of, You get passed by a lot of cars pulling boats to the dock.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:31 | 03.11 miles | 19m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 3- laps around the course. Starts in the lower parking lot up to the middle one and then into the dirt. Steep hill to climb up and down on sandy type of soil.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 12:18 AM

Veteran
Idaho
Subject: Blacktail Triathlon

2008-07-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1526760

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Blacktail Triathlon
Great pics Gloria - way to go on the race and tough it out even when things got difficult. You weren't kidding about that hill, a picture is worth a thousand words.
2008-07-14 11:52 AM

User image

Great Job, Gloria!! I was thinking the same thing Neil said when I saw the picture of the hill. I am from a flat area. Our only HILL is the freeway over passes!!!

You are AMAZING!!!!

Kristina
2008-07-14 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Gloria - you picked a tough first triathlon!  You did great.  You look glorious in your photo! 

Tracy 

2008-07-14 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Well done Gloria.  Sounds like a tough course.
2008-07-14 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well done Gloria! Fantastic no quit attitude!!!!!

2008-07-14 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Way to go, Gloria!

Way to rock the swim!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blacktail Triathlon Rss Feed