United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Had Whole wheat bread with peanut butter and honey as I left the house. Filled up water bottles and swung by my parents house to grab my wetsuit.
Also had a gel about 15minutes before race start.

A bit discombulated as I was doing this in MI, with my stuff in a bit of disarray (ie, i left my water bottles at home in VA, some race stuff was at my parents, some was with me at my sisters)
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to race start after I parked my car (about 1.5miles). just an easy spin.

Stretched a bit while waiting for start.
Swim
  • 28m 6s
  • 1640 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

28:06 time for 3.1 miles = 9:06 pace.
My consolation is for me, this is a PR!! (sad to say, really) would like to have 8mm+ pace, but maybe next time.

Having to do this instead of the swim threw me off a bit mentally. Had to work on overcoming that once on the bike. I think the extra run also caught up with me on the later 10k. I don't sign up for duathlons for a reason, you know!! :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

After run, was doing some big-time wheezing, so took a couple of hits from my inhaler. This helped some. Was nervous of doing that as I had never used an inhaler before. I know -- never try something new in a race! Also took a Claritin in transition.

Put on shoes in transition area and ran with bike. Had difficulty clipping in once got to start-- frustrating!!!

What would you do differently?:

Get tri shoes and leave them clipped in???
Bike
  • 1h 25m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Worked hard to keep overtaking folks. Felt like with the run start that I really came out at such a disadvantage.

Felt strong on the bike overall, especially considering the conditions.

Had 4 gel packs during the ride - one to start, then one every 6miles. This seemed to keep the energy level pretty consistent. Happy with that.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Was 2nd in T2 time. :)
Took in some water and grabbed a gel.

Felt better coming out of this transition (high from a good ride).

Put in my yankz before the race (i keep forgetting!!)
Run
  • 1h 01m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good til after mile 4, then started to struggle - walked more here and took a potty break. The last 2 miles were on and off as a whole. I think it would have been just fine as long as we hadn't done the stupid 5k to start!!!

Need to keep working on base so this doesn't happen. Had a decent start til mile 4.
Post race
Warm down:

fluids, some stretching, and walking. My hamstrings seem tight now, but otherwise feel pretty good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running base, but with everything else going on, I guess I'm not totally surprised. I hadn't really been keeping up with my run time over the past weeks and it caught up with me :(

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race, and could become better at it if I were able to repeat next year. The wind made it challenging for both the run and the ride, and considering some of my personal challenges and the travel, etc I was not unhappy with my performance of sub 3-hours.

Yay -- first OLY completed since ACL reconstruction!! No pain from that at all --yay!!

Last updated: 2008-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:06 | 1640 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Cancelled the swimming due to the 6ft crashing waves in the surf (wow!), so made this a duathlon instead by adding a 5k run up front. Not my strong suit, so was bummed by this decision, especially considering the swim is where i usually place in the top of my AG. :( Course was flat so that was good, up til the last .2 miles which was all uphill. There was one spot, though where incoming crossed the outgoing path which led to a brief CF. This was an issue for the spint but not a big deal for the later run. Was pleased with the time (for me), would have liked to have broken the 8+mm pace, though instead of 9+mm.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:25:43 | 24.85 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Had 3 hills each way, with a big one at the turnaround. Otherwise mostly flat. Mostly crosswinds, but in sections, the wind became a strong headwind. That was the biggest challenge with the course. Windy, windy, windy. It was really bad as I came up to the 1/2 way point as we got routed out on beach roads, right near the beach. All the wind was coming across the water - sand got blasted up into the eyes for a section too, which was fun. These were 30-40mph gusts so it slowed you right down or made you fight for it (lean into it). Most of the course you were somewhat protected so it wasn't as direct as that, but then as you cruised down the last big hill, about 2miles from finish with a 90degree turn at the bottom of the hill, you got blasted again. Dropped the bike speed by 10mph I swear-- hit like a wall after we crested the hill.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:33 | 06.21 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice flat course except for a nice steep hill going back up to get to race start. I was very familiar with the run route for first 4 miles which helped a ton!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 8:59 AM

User image

Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon (Oly)

2008-07-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1527271

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon (Oly)

Great race JPDY!!!!!!! I can't believe that you had a swim canx on you.. I think I would have cried

Congrats on the PR

2008-07-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1527271

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon (Oly)
great job Jody!  Congrats on the 5K PR.  Bummer about the swim, but sounds like you made the best of it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon (Oly) Rss Feed