Ironman
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 45m 41s
Overall Rank = 1056/1647
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 92/
Pre-race routine:

Tried to go to bed at 9:30pm, laid in bed until about 11pm and finally started to drift off, then my neighbors decided it was still the 4th of July. I decided the quickest way to stop the fireworks was to go ask, so I got up and walked around my neighborhood until I found them :) The guy said he'd "see what he could do", they did stop though. Woke up at 3:12am.

Planned on eating 2 PB+J sandwiches and whey protein. Ended up eating Half a pb+j, half a cliff bar, a cup of tea and some cranberry juice. I kept trying to eat but I just couldn't get it down.
Event warmup:

Suited up and went for a short warm-up swim to check the water out we were the last wave so I had a lot of time.
Swim
  • 38m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim pace was very comfortable, had some trouble getting through people but eventually found and open area. Navigation was great until I hit the turn, I had a hard time seeing some of the buoys on the way back and got pushed off course a couple of times. Regardless I felt great coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Try and be a little more aggressive about getting around/over people, I know I wasted some time slowing my pace and waiting until I could get around rather than just swimming over.
Transition 1
  • 07m 37s
Comments:

T1 was slow and I knew it would be as I like to bike in socks and it's always hard getting them on wet feet, but also with the clean transition areas you had to pull everything out of bags which took some additional time.

I should probably practice getting in my shoes while they're clipped in, I wasn't really concerned about time on this race so I wasn't trying to get out all that quickly.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I kinda liked the course, I didn't think I was going to but there are some really fast/fun sections that made me forget all the slow climbing I had just done.

With the 4 bike length drafting rule being enforced I was overly cautious about passing people. There were times I slowed way down not wanting to try and pass, in hindsight I should have just maintained my pace and went for it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Not a bad T2, had a long run with my bike.

I spent some time grabbing a couple things from my bento box, should have thought of that near the end of the bike and grabbed them then.
Run
  • 2h 44m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great coming out of T2 but then I hit College hill and my legs cramped, walked to the top started running again and got a charlie horse in my left quad that brought me to a complete stop for several minutes. The rest of the course I would just run until I'd cramp then walk until it went away and repeat. Seemed to work fairly well and i had a strong finish.

Nothing, this strategy worked well for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the grass with my friends and family and relaxed with some light stretching. Then went to a friends house for a post race bbq.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience

Event comments:

This was my first Half Iron and my main goal was to finish comfortably with a secondary goal of under 7 hours. I accomplished both and truly had a great time doing it.

Last updated: 2007-12-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/
Overall: 743/1647
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Rectangle, out about a half mile, over then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:12:17 | 56 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 83/
Overall: 943/1647
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 142
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Narragansett up to the State House in Providence. Starts mostly flat with some gradual climbs, gets hilly in the middle with a couple steep climbs, and ends with a mix but nothing too steep.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:44:20 | 13.1 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 92/
Overall: 1056/1647
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 142 Max HR: 172
Course: 2 Loops starting from the State House up around Blackstone Blvd and back. One Monster hill(college hill) and enough smaller ones to make this a challenging run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Warwick, RI
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2008-07-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1527553

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island
Nice job! Way to go.  Reading some of the other RR's it seems this was a pretty challenging run course.  Way to push through!
2008-07-14 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1527553

User image

Regular
Southern Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

Congrat's Dave,

Glad to see you made it through and reached your goals. It was my first 1/2 iron also and we came in about the same time. I saw your bike time and thought the site kicked me to my report, We matched exactly to the second on the bike! Glad to see you worked through the cramps and was able to finish.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed