World Triathlon Corporation
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 22m 7s
Overall Rank = 353/1647
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 60/256
Pre-race routine:

It took just about all day on Saturday to set up and drive the bike course. Enjoyed nice meal at one of the Italian resturants on the Hill and went to bed at around 10:30. I woke at 3:15am
Event warmup:

none. Hung around with a friend who came down with me and watched the pros finish their swim.
Swim
  • 37m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a little choppy out there but I had plenty of room. I swam over just about every bouy. I was comfortable the entire swim and really didn't push at all.
What would you do differently?:

I must of missed the body glide for my armpits and neck because I have some really bad burns.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Wet strippers were great as usual. A long run through the soft sand was tough.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 39m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept it comfortble. Spun it really easy on the big hills and tucked it on the downhills. You can get 202 pounds of aeroness flying downhills. I hit about 48 mphs on one downhill. The were a couple of real scary moments towards the end with traffic, narrow bike lanes, downhills and corners. I was just hoping a driver would do something stupid like take a right in front of me. My neck was getting sore at mile 45 which showed my lack of training. Also, I measures about 57.5 miles on my computer so the course was a touch long.

not drink as much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

no issues

nothing
Run
  • 2h 00m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was about 20 minutes slower than my previous slowest run so it wasn't pretty.

About halfway up the big hill at mile one with my HR racing through the roof and my belly not digesting, I mentally quit the race. At about mile two I looked at my watch and saw my blistering 10 minute average, I physically packed it in and just started walking and planned to turn in my chip after the first loop. I think my first loop was about a 1:07 or so.

The only thing that kept me going was as I was walking up to the turn around I decided that I should at least run a little and as soon as I picked up my stride I could hear a group of people cheer and shout my name. That was enough encouragement to finis this out. My second lap I walked a little less just to keep the HR low and lightly jogged and just tried to keep things comfortable.

On a side note, I watched in amazement the guy in the wheelchair trying to get up that killer hill. It was one of the most inspirational things I have ever seen in athletics.

HTFU and train
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training took a backseat to life so I didn't put the time in and the results showed. I guess you really can't fake one of these things. Also I need to HTFU. There were more people in worse condition than I was on the run but I just quit and I'm disappointed that I did that.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the course. The volunteer support and community support from the locals was beyond my expectations.

Next time I do this race, I ain't walking that hill.

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:21 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 114/256
Overall: 663/1647
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:39:38 | 56 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 55/256
Overall: 314/1647
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Point to Point. First third was flat. Second third was hilly. Final third was technical and boardered on dangerous at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:00:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/256
Overall: 353/1647
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops with a big steep hill.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2008-07-14 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1527781

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

Jeff

that was a very uncharacteristic run for you, so its obvious something went wrong.  You obviously still have great bike legs and your base is solid at this point, so I see a much better performance at Timberman.  Good job gathering the strength/courage to finish the race!

2008-07-14 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

I think you and I must have been going up that hill at the same time (your first loop, my second). Watching him was simply amazing. That was the most inspirational thing I have ever seen. I just got back from lunch with my old man...we were still talking about that today.

2008-07-14 4:20 PM

User image

Wow, I saw that guy mid-hill too.  A girl looked like she was going to stop and help push him up.  That was the very definition of perseverance.

Good for you for not packing it in.  My wife said she saw one guy finish the first loop, look at his wife and said to her, "Screw this -- I'm done."  And he walked off the course.   

The bike did feel long and I think most of us did not expect or anticipate such a challenging course.  Of all my races this was the first hill I ever walked.  I'll make the pact with you that next time I race R.I.  I will be better prepared and will not walk that hill. 

2008-07-14 6:13 PM

I think I was that girl! It took all the strength I had NOT to push him. I walked next to him for a while on that hill! I was so afraid that he was going to roll backwards. I never wanted to push someone so much. I went up to him after and congratulated him. I was so inspired!

I had a great first 1/2 IM...enjoyed every minute thanks to much of the advice I got here.

VIN - It was GREAT to meet you and your wife!!!! Keep in touch with me ok? [email protected]

PS...I just have to give a plug to my coach Will from www.tri-hard.com. He took a total NON ATHLETE and made her into an ironman (woman!). He coaches many elite athletes and probably had his hands full with a total beginner (with NO background sport) like me. But I listened to every word he said and it allowed me to have an amazing day. I didnt break any speed records at 6.44...but I had an ear to ear grin on my face the entire time, because I was prepared to complete this race and felt so awesome to even be there!

I felt that many of my training days were harder than yesterday. The crowd, the other athletes, the volunteers....i was fighting back tears on portions of the bike and the run. So much more fun than swimming at 5:00 alone or running 6 miles in the cold dark winter. But I am so glad I did, because it made yesterday SO SWEET.

I am still so high from it!!!!!

Congrats to all you BT's who did this race and for those of you who helped me along. I am so grateful.
2008-07-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1529363

User image

Master
Portland, ME

firsttimetri - 2008-07-14 6:13 PM I think I was that girl! It took all the strength I had NOT to push him. I walked next to him for a while on that hill! I was so afraid that he was going to roll backwards. I never wanted to push someone so much. I went up to him after and congratulated him. I was so inspired! I had a great first 1/2 IM...enjoyed every minute thanks to much of the advice I got here. VIN - It was GREAT to meet you and your wife!!!! Keep in touch with me ok? [email protected] PS...I just have to give a plug to my coach Will from www.tri-hard.com. He took a total NON ATHLETE and made her into an ironman (woman!). He coaches many elite athletes and probably had his hands full with a total beginner (with NO background sport) like me. But I listened to every word he said and it allowed me to have an amazing day. I didnt break any speed records at 6.44...but I had an ear to ear grin on my face the entire time, because I was prepared to complete this race and felt so awesome to even be there! I felt that many of my training days were harder than yesterday. The crowd, the other athletes, the volunteers....i was fighting back tears on portions of the bike and the run. So much more fun than swimming at 5:00 alone or running 6 miles in the cold dark winter. But I am so glad I did, because it made yesterday SO SWEET. I am still so high from it!!!!! Congrats to all you BT's who did this race and for those of you who helped me along. I am so grateful.

Great job, Firsttimetri! It is an awesome experience to finish your first half and be rewarded for all the effort you put in. Enjoy it, you earned it.

Again, I will never forget that guy going up that hill and all the people surronding him encouraging him to get up that beast. It made all the disappointment of my bad race seem so trivial and just put things back into perspective.

2008-07-14 10:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Great job out there. It was I thought a fair but challenging course I agree that hill was diabolical.

You had a wicked sick bike split well done for that. 

Edited by jamesG 2008-07-14 10:34 PM
2008-07-18 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine

You finished!  That is huge in my book!  Too bad you weren't happy with your results. Next time?

2008-07-18 9:40 PM

User image

Pro
MA

48 mph is not bike speed.  More like car speed. 

What's up with your run?  Oh well... there is always a next race. 

Still very well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed