United States
Team Magic
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 02m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Phenomenal Pre-Race dinner hosted by the Corns. Super food and great company with the NAMC bunch.

The morning of the race was very low key, never really got all psyched up like usual. I think hang'n out with friends kept the pre-race nerves at bay.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike from the hotel to transition. Only 2 miles, doesn't really qualify as a warm-up but that's as close as I got to a warmup.
Swim
  • 26m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim felt good. Started strong then settled in for a good swim and finished strong. Wanted to do some drafting but I couldn't find any feet at the right pace.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had better predicted my swim time while registering. Had I registered with a faster swim time I'd have been with the faster swimmers and would have found some feet to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

It felt like a very long way between the swim finish and getting to my rack. That was a long run with lots of steps. I certainly didn't light up T1. Since it was raining I used my transition bag to cover my running shoes and socks before heading out on the bike.

Not much on this one. Needs to be faster but at this point in my tri career, this is all I've got.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 35s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed this course despite the hills, poor road conditions, and horrible weather. I lost time on the uphills but could have been worse. The new cassette helped, not only with getting up faster but was not really too tired at the top of hills and was able to get back up to speed quickly.

I need more long training rides
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Did well getting out of shoes while riding but I didn't do a flying dismount. Just got the x-wing bottle cages on the back of my seat and I wasn't confident that I was going to swing my leg over the bottles. So, I just rode to the dismount line, stopped and got off.

I went down the wrong row to rack my bike, only one row off so it didn't cost me too much time. Someone else racked their bike where my bike should have been...made for a confusing few seconds. got my socks and shoes on and ran out. Glad I covered the shoes and socks, they were a bit damp but not too terrible.

I can do better than this, I need to stop allowing myself to slow down on transitions...they are not supposed to be break time.
Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to only walk the aid stations...ended up only walking two of the six aid stations. Walked up the steps. Took the steps two at a time which I think was faster than running b/c my legs were heavy from the bike. Also walked the big hill towards the end, again, I doubt I could have run up that hill any quicker than I walked it and felt a bit rejuvinated at the top.

by the time I got to the bottom of the steps on the way back in I could hear the cheering at the end with lots of cowbell. I knew that was NAMC and that certainly gave me energy to keep going. Running past the NAMC tent was exilerating...NAMC is, by far, the best cheering section at any race.

Most importantly, I kept my head in this race the whole run. Mentally I tend to break down on the run but I kept the positive talk going the whole run and it helped tremendously.

Just need to continue working on endurance...then more speed will come in time. I see LSD runs in my future.
Post race
Warm down:

Exhausted, fairly certain that I didn't leave anything on the course. I missed my goal time by less than 3 minutes, so I went over the race a few times in my head trying to figure out where I could have picked up that time. I couldn't figure it out. If I can't find 3 wasted minutes in a race then I did well.

Couldn't decide which was more uncomfortable for a while, standing or sitting. Otherwise, some beer, a blue margaritta, and cowbells and cheering with NAMC.

Had a great lunch with NAMC after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure that 6 week training hiatus didn't help. Just going to keep training.

Event comments:

Great race, very well organized.

Last updated: 2008-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point river swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:35 | 26.1 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a highway with lots of small potholes and opportunities to flat a tire. Not a flat spot on the entire course.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:07:00 | 06.21 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Very scenic (despite the rain) out and back along the river. Stairs going up in the first mile and a big hill with a bit less than a mile to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-14 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1528180

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
You had a great race especially on 6 weeks of no/limited training! Good seeing you and the family this weekend.
2008-07-14 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Good job with little training over the past 6 weeks and awful weather.  I'm sure you would have met or beat your goal if it was dry.  Keep up the training, the half should be no problem in two months!
2008-07-14 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice race. Great job moving to a more aggressive strategy when you felt it.. re: not walking all 6 aid stations. I like to read stuff like that.
2008-07-14 5:40 PM

User image

Regular
I'm scared.  That was an awesome race you pulled together and I completely forgot about your training "break".  I thought the same thing about the swim time, but apparently they didn't even seed by time, it was random within the AG.  It does make it a little harder when you can't find feet.  Nice race overall!
2008-07-14 8:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on a great race. I can't believe you said you just had an ok swim. You rocked the swim! You need to teach me to swim. It was great seeing you and the family at the race. I had a lot of fun diggin up rocks and throwing them in the river with J. Thanks for letting me take him for a bit.

2008-07-15 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Great race! Way to go on walking less water stops than planned.
2008-07-15 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Jay!  This was a great race... even more so when you add in the training hiatus and weather conditions.  It was fun hanging out with guys.  Oh and as for the cowbells... I got down to the race shortly after the first swimmers started coming in and there was absolutely no question as to where the NAMC'ers were... just follow the sound of the cowbells!
2008-07-15 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Well done, especially under the conditions and on limited training!!
2008-07-17 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
You really had a great race! I am so impressed with your time, especailly with your training break. Now, what can you pull off if you dont take a break??
2008-07-17 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
I'm also a fellow "break 3 hours" racer, so I know the feeling of thinking back over the race.
You beat my time, so I think you did great.

2008-07-17 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
You did great!  Way to go on hanging in there and pushing yourself.  I'm inspired by your "stick-to-it-iveness."  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed