United States
Mossman
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 35s
Overall Rank = 318/689
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/32
Pre-race routine:

got up at 4:30 and had cramps - nuff said. -dog wanted to go for a walk - I told her to go back to sleep! Had coffee, got my gear together and put it in the car. Managed to carry the beer and ice for the cooler too.
Drank more coffee in the car and ate a Mojo bar
Event warmup:

got body marked, set up transition and ran for 10 minutes. Got wetsuit on and headed to swim start- swam part of the way as a swim warm up and then noticed the first wave was off. got myself to the start just in time
Swim
  • 20m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a really hard time on the swim - I kind of psyched myself out at the start - 107 of us in the wave - and the course just looked so long. Got in and just had trouble - tried to draft and started out with FOP but not sure what happened - not quite panic but I guess close. Felt like I could not do it so I started breast stroke to reorient - the first bouy seemed so far and it was the shortest leg! Rounded the bouy but could not get a rhythm going -every time I tried I would get hit or something and it just freaked me. Got stung by a jelly fish at some point which probably added to my adrenaline and discomfort.
What would you do differently?:

Somehow I need to get used to this- not sure how I am going to do a swim twice this long at Chicago! This was the first time I was bothered by crowds.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

first half of first lap I did not notice that I had somehow shifted into small ring - should have checked that! After that started to move at a more normal pace - but I kept wondering why I was not going faster....figured I was still freaked from swim....then started to do better. My seat pouch undid it self and was hanging down hitting the wheel for lap 2 ( and part of lap 1) I tried to grab it on the fly but could not so just lived with it. Great sounds and just prayed it would not fall off forcing me to stop.

Lots of blocking....where were all the marshals???

uhm make sure my bike is in the right gear to start (doh)
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s

I need to work on mount and dismount. My T2 time was 13th in division and 330 overall....I need to learn to get shoes off on the bike....and get helmet off while running
Run
  • 28m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

by the run it was clear to me that I would not be on the podium and I just did not feel like pushing, so I kind of dogged it until the end. I did manage to sort of sprint the finish and smile

have a better day
Post race
Warm down:

got water, and orange and then a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the stars, my cycle (woke up unexpectedly with that joy), lacking the umph right now - had fun and treated it like a training day with a chip but my heart was not fully in this race

Event comments:

Registration the day before you had 4 lines to stand in - never seen that - you stood in the first line, showed your ID and USAT card - they told you your number. Next line gave you numbers, next line you showed them bib and they gave you chip. Next line got you Tshirt and swag bag. How stupid a setup. Having volunteered at 2 race registrations this was a first.

Race day you had to go all the way over to where registration was to get body marked, could not bring bike into tent but could not go into transition until marked....rather retarded and disorganized.

Most of the rest of the way had enough volunteers though heard some of the first runners ran too far due to no one there (we had no one there either but at least we noticed the signage...)

Last updated: 2007-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:50 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/32
Overall: 373/689
Performance: Bad
Suit: full Blue Seventy
Course: angle rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:57 | 12.5 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 185/689
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:48 | 03.11 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/32
Overall: 407/689
Performance: Below average
Course: did not like the run course - it was confusing, went up and down off the curb on grass, dirt crossed things - just messy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: SoBe Mossman Triathlon

2008-07-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1528348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: SoBe Mossman Triathlon
hey now.. i had a great time at this race too... some technical difficulties with my wetsuit aside .. the bike was fun and the run through the industrial waste was great !!! .. I will hopefully be back next year .. are you going to do Park City ? I want to but its the same day as the Mens Health Urbanathlon..

thanks for the nice report ..open water swimming can be difficlt at times.. you'll get used to it..
2008-07-14 6:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-14 8:09 PM

Expert
Alexandria, NH

The marshals were working on writing blocking penalties while riding behind people who were blocking the motorcycles or something like that.  :-).  

At least the bike leg went very well.  I'm sure Chicago will go great.

2008-07-14 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1529573

Champion
New York, NY
Christris - 2008-07-14 9:09 PM

The marshals were working on writing blocking penalties while riding behind people who were blocking the motorcycles or something like that. :-).

At least the bike leg went very well. I'm sure Chicago will go great.

OMG I could not believe the amount of blocking!!!! on that uphill I finally just stayed right and passed all the people who could not climb!

as to Chicago, I sure better get over my swim crowd issue!!!!!

it was nice seeing a friendly face! 

2008-07-15 12:00 PM

The swim. The dreaded swim. For the next three weeks, go to the laundry mat find one of the big industrial size washers, put yourself in. For the first two sessions use gentle cycle. After that progress to “extra spin”.

Good race overall. Still crushing the bike. Run improved. Keep it up!

2008-07-15 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1530997

Champion
New York, NY

BVHP - 2008-07-15 1:00 PM The swim. The dreaded swim. For the next three weeks, go to the laundry mat find one of the big industrial size washers, put yourself in. For the first two sessions use gentle cycle. After that progress to “extra spin”. Good race overall. Still crushing the bike. Run improved. Keep it up!

heh heh - interesting training plan coach laundromat ready....I could bring Tootsie in with me - she would love it 

2008-07-16 9:16 AM

Expert
Weymouth, MA
19.76 mph with a bag scraping your tire the whole way!  Great race Cat.  You're just being hard on yourself which is why you are getting faster even if you don't think so.  Your run wsa faster than Cohasset.  The bike wasn't your body's fault (I'm thinking wrong gear here), and sometimes swims just stink.  Just a little more time at Walden!
2008-07-17 6:09 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Managed to carry the beer and ice for the cooler too.

Well, at least you were prepared.

Nice race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SoBe Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed