General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 26s
Overall Rank = 580/1148
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 93/156
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 and had a bagel with PB and a banana and 1/2 Gatorade 1/2 Water. Went to the bathroom and got my gear together and biked over to the race. I set up my transition area first and then jogged around for a little bit and then got the body marking. I raised money fro Fraser with Team Vincent this year so then I went to their tent for a group picture and small talk with other racers. I went to the bathroom again and put my left my glasses in their tent.
Event warmup:

Swam 50 yards and back 3 or four times just to stay warm. Air temp was a little cool and the breeze seemed cold because it was overcast before swim.
Swim
  • 45m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim sucked. I thought I was doing pretty well because I did not stop or slow down but I think I was all over the place. Since I did not have contacts or glasses on I could not really see the buoys so I was zigzagging. In my sprint races I don't think it has been a problem because they were just out and back and I think the buoys were closer together. I also got very confused by the swim caps that were the same colors as the buoys. I am sure I could have pushed it harder but when I went all out at my other race in May too soon I totally died and I did not want to do this on the longer swim.
What would you do differently?:

Contacts or prescription Goggles. More body glide under arms or no shirt.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I was going to leave shoes on bike but I chickened out. It went fine.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 18m 40s
  • 25.4 miles
  • 19.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was really flying for most of the course. Between mile 15 and 20 I think I was struggling and then I took a gel. Last 4 miles went really well. I started off really fast and then backed off after we got to the Falls area. I was surprised I only ended up 92 in my AG because I was going way faster that I have ever gone in a race. I think I have a pretty competitive age group.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Put socks on and go. Had a little swig of gatorade/water.

Nothing
Run
  • 48m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went pretty well. I had hoped for faster time but I was most concerned about going out too hard. Right when I started I felt some wicked chafing under left arm from my arm rubbing against my shirt during the swim. I took it off right after transition and carried around during first lap. Gave it to Will when I saw them. I passed a lot of people on the run. I stopped at every other water station and got two waters one to dump on head and the other to splash mouth with. I could have probably done without the water in mouth. I was hydrated sufficiently and it was not too hot.

Pushed harder on the second lap.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a nut roll and banana at race. Went home and had pizza and chocolate milk for lunch. Chipotle burrito for dinner. Yummmm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My eyesight on swim. I am really disappointed with my swim time. I have spent a lot of time in the water working on my swimming. It has paid off becuase I was able to swim the distance and I could have kept going but I was not fast. I am going to deal with the eyesight first because based on my pool swim times I know that I can swim faster than that.

Event comments:

Awesome race. With the pros and all of the people and cheering it is really exciting.

Last updated: 2008-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 148/156
Overall: 1083/1148
Performance: Bad
Avg HR 155
Suit: None
Course: Triangular with 2 right turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:40 | 25.4 miles | 19.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 92/156
Overall: 544/1148
Performance: Good
Avg HR 162
Wind: Some
Course: I love this course. The road is rough in spots but there are some nice rolling hills that you can really build momentum from and the scenery is really nice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:03 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/156
Overall: 248/1148
Performance: Good
Avg HR 167
Course: 2 laps around Nokomis
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 2:34 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed