United States
Paramont Adventure
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 9s
Overall Rank = 266/358
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a half hour before the alarm was set to go off, and my mind started buzzing about the tri so there was no getting back to sleep. Ate 2 pieces of whole grain bread with peanut butter and a gatorade a couple hours before the race. Got to the transition area shortly after it opened at 6am & got set up fairly quickly.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching.
Swim
  • 18m 54s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

The second I jumped off the dock my nerves were totally gone, and I felt great. Positioned myself towards the middle/front of my wave. Had a little bit of a touch time getting going and accidentally grabbed more than a couple ankles. By the second half of the swim I finally had a great rhythm going and I felt strong. I also got myself into an area with no one swimming around me. I managed to stay on course and have good sighting throughout. Once I got into the final stretch of the swim, I started to wonder if my family was on the beach and if I'd see them on my way to T1....I glanced up and right away noticed my dad on the beach holding a big sign. It was a huge motivator and helped me hammer through the rest of the swim. For once I took my own advice and didn't think about the swim as a whole or the finish....I took it buoy by buoy, one stroke at a time.
What would you do differently?:

Get my breathing down earlier on and don't worry about what other swimmers are doing. Take less breaks from freestyle.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s

Wait to take my gel until I'm on the bike. And just move faster.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 51s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 14.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really strong going into the bike. Played "cat and mouse" with another newbie for a good portion of the ride...I think it was helped push both of us. If I remember correctly, she was stronger on the uphills, while I tended to pass her on the downhills and flats. I made a game with myself to pass as many people as I could....I lost count, but the total was somewhere around 20.

I held back a little in the last few miles in preparation for the run. I wish I had just pushed it out....don't think my legs would have felt any different going into the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Very close to falling over the second I started to run with my bike.

Skip the gel during T2.
Run
  • 27m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Took about a half mile for my legs to feel ok, but that was expected. For most of the run I felt like I had close to a 10 min pace, so it was an unexpected and great surprise to see my actual pace. There were 3 water stations during the run with tons of kids volunteering and cheering us on.

Push it harder.
Post race
Event comments:

It took me over 2 years to work up the courage to finally do a tri. I loved every second of it, and it was so much fun! My my first race, I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I definitely felt prepared from my training, but also found areas that could use improvement. My family and friends have been so supportive throughout my training, and it meant to much to have them spread throughout the course cheering for me.

I thought the race was realy well organized and the volunteers were all amazing! I don't think I could have picked a better first race. Can't wait to do it again next year!

I can't wait for my next tri....I'm definitely hooked!!!

Last updated: 2008-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:54 | 880 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 265/358
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangular course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:51 | 16.4 miles | 14.72 mile/hr
Overall: 294/358
Wind: Little
Course: The course was definitely challenging, but it was great. Lots of rolling hills (some of which were a killer).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:16 | 03.1 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 214/358
Course: Part trail run, part street run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes