United States
Dallas Athletics
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45...I always have trouble sleeping the night before an event. I got dressed, made sure everyone else was up...they already were...I stayed at Gary's (Gaarryy) place along with Brittany(TexasMPGal), William (triritter), three dogs, and a cat...We loaded up the bikes, and all rode together to the race site. I guess we didn't leave early enough...as there was already a line. I ate 1/2 a bagel with peanut butter while driving there. Sent a TM to my best friend PJ who was doing the Jefferson Tri...and we wished each other luck.
Event warmup:

I actually remembered on my own for this race to get my chip. I was number 51. Got my body marked...and made sure my road rash/infection was wrapped tightly. I was actually not nervous one bit for this race. My road rash had become infected...which made it painful to run. I experimented the week before, and decided a 10 - 10 1/2 minute mile was what I could probably do for 3.1 miles...anything a lot faster for a significant amount of time at all caused bleeding. So...instead of my normal placement and time goals....my goals were as follows:

1. Have FUN
2. Smooth and easy on the OWS...FINISH in a non-hyperventilating state
3. Have FUN
4. If possible, go hard on the bike...see if I could finally break a 20mph average on a Sprint
5. Have FUN
6. Do the run in 30-32 minutes...keeping it at 10 minutes or slower...WALK if needed...SLOW AND EASY...
7. Have FUN

I already knew I wouldn't place well in my AG, and strangely that gave me a real calming effect. NO PRESSURE...so no pre-race jitters. HMMMMM.

The joke with my friends of course was I really was unsure if I were going to do this event or not. Even at the BT pre-race dinner the night before...I really still wasn't sure. The morning of the race I was PRETTY sure...and the drive up there, I kinda made up my mind to do it. I figured...I was taping up the infection...plus I was on the antibiotics and had been for three days. Yes, I knew I was taking a chance. I was doing the race AMA(the doctor was not very nice to me anyway - lol)...AFA (against friends' advice)...and ABA (against boyfriend's advice)...HOWEVER...the boyfriend woke up before 4 am to help wrap the leg...wouldn't that be contributing to DOING the race???

Back to race morning! I set up transition. Drank 1/2 a green Monster. Found my friend Kami...went to the bathroom...and we went down to the beach to warm up in the water...I swam probably about 150 yards...then waited for the race to start.
Swim
  • 10m 27s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was nice and smooth...had an incident with another lady who kept manhandling me and then tangled into my googles, but no biggie.

SWIM 11/18
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...I was able to swim the whole time...no stopping...all freestyle except going around the first congested buoy where I did the famous Bonny Beebe crippled dog doggy paddle...and then had to do a funky wade the time I had to adjust my goggles. I could feel my bandage sliding down around my ankle with every stroke after that 2nd buoy...ugh....
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Exiting the water I stopped to get my feet sprayed...and then stopped to take the bandage off...the majority of it was around my ankle..some tape still on my calf...so that took a few seconds. Actually, I tied for 3rd best TI one in my AG...so it wasn't TOO bad even though I had extra stuff to do.

T1 3/18

Not get hurt two weeks before....
Bike
  • 55m 1s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to average 20 mph this race...but it just didn't happen. The leg only hurt at two points...when it started sprinkling at two different times, and the raindrops hurt the wound. I really enjoyed this bike course...I love hills!

I think I could have gone harder...I tried to limit my sight seeing which can get bad...I get easily distracted...but this time I FOCUSED.

BIKE SPLIT 4/18
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Helmet off, shoes off, running shoes on, grabbed Garmin...took off - made a circle back to get the race belt, then off....

T2 2/18 (The best T2 was 56 seconds in my AG...dang race belt!)

Remember the race belt!
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Let me start by saying I wasn't supposed to run because of the place of the wounds...they were just in the right spot that running too fast kept reopening the forming scabs...and the healing had to start over again...so I didn't have any hurt muscles or joints...it was pain from the wounds on the skin, and the skin movement...and it sounds so wimpy as I type this, but I will say it did hurt. As a woman that had three kids with no drugs whatsoever, I like to think I have a high pain threshold, but maybe not...

BACK TO THE RUN...Remember...I had to keep it at ten minute mile. So that's what I tried to do. Twice I accidentally hit the pause button on my Garmin near the beginning, so I already messed up the distance...oh well...kept going. Kept checking and slowing down.... I did have to stop and walk three times due to the hurting leg...once I walked ten steps and twice I walked twenty...fifty total steps of walking. Saw William at one point on the run, and knew he was doing well...he literally ZIPPED by me, and I screamed his name. At the very end, what I thought to be maybe 1/3 mile left, I let myself just sprint.

RUN 5/18

Same as I said earlier, not get hurt. It really bothered me that I couldn't just RUN, RUN, RUN like I wanted, but that is life.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to go see the medic who gave me some saliine to clean off my wound, and then a bunch of supplies to bandage it up again. He said he was glad I stopped by - he was really bored. I then grabbed some snacks...and walked around and talked...and started watching the Olympic finishers complete their race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Of course the very minor injury.

Event comments:

It's always good to see BTers...and boy did the BT group take home a lot of hardware. The way the bike and run courses were set up...there were stretches of "out and back"...so you really could see the same person a few times...which happened with me - I saw Brandt (OldAg92) at least three times over the sprint, and I know I saw Steve (doughboy) much more than that! I saw Marcy (dodgersmom) on the run, and she of course high fived me...dejavu of Metroplex.

Pictures posted are courtesy of Aaron (JeepFleeb) - he took some GREAT shots of the whole event!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:27 | 500 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Beach Start - two buoys, exit the water. I am positive the course was short...I cannot swim that fast...no, sir.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:01 | 17.6 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Some hills, flats, and even some chipseal...a 17.6 mile route that could be called a taste of Texas.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:26 | 03.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice running trail..through the wooded area next to the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: Disco Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-14 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1529617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Sprint Triathlon
so, are you racing? j/k   great job bonny. great job. i can't imagine the numbers you would've posted if you were healthy! great job!
2008-07-14 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

no way you really did race??  Have a told you yet  just how great a race you had??  Face facts you are a talented athlete that has a high pain threshold.  Even at less than 100%  you had a strong race.. Of course I laughed that you actually counted the number of steps you took,

great job out there personally I'm really glad you raced that day,, since that was a killer bandage job I did on ya. 

2008-07-14 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Great race despite being wounded!
2008-07-14 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
You blew that course up!

Make sure Aaron gets a pick of the cripled doggy paddle next time. And get that mega-wound treated and healed up!
2008-07-15 5:58 AM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Great job out there, wounded leg and all!

2008-07-15 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great race! Congrats on the 3rd place win in your AG! VERY FAST STUFF! Even with being hurt.

Now, PLEASE LET IT HEAL. Shoot, how many times do we have to tell you. Look, if you get gang-green of the leg you won't be too happy.
2008-07-15 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX

Sandbagger.

Great race, especially given the circumstances of your injury. You will shred the next course you do. Congrats. 

2008-07-15 9:51 AM

User image

Tyler,

great race out there....women typically have a higher pain threshold as it showed as you battled a wounded leg while I couldn't even suffer through stomach cramps.

Gary is "whipped" if you were going "ABA" and he still wrapped your leg. You got him on a leash.

2008-07-15 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Bonny, you did this race? I wasn't sure...even after the race. Haha! Seriously, great job out there for being wounded and I hope that swim gave you confidence--no panic, even with the goggles ripped off.  Great bike and great run (even though you weren't supposed to do it!), and of course, hardware to boot.  Well done--great to see you again of course! Now, like Karen said, let that leg heal!!

2008-07-15 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job racing while injured.  I think you would have easily gotten that 20mph avg racing on two good legs .

TJ

2008-07-15 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
What can I say...I like to high 5!  Great race speedy girl!
2008-07-18 9:25 AM

User image

good job! I think we met after the race (thx to Jen Hogan) - hope to see you again soon. You kicked it...
2008-07-18 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Excellent race, for a healthy person, let alone someone with a maimed leg!  Let that leg heal and get ready to rock the rest of the summer.  It was great seeing you and the rest of the BT'ers at the race, as always!

2008-07-20 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

It was great to meet you last weekend!  I hope your leg is fully healed by now - Mederma works wonders on road rash, so as soon as it's closed up, get a tube of that stuff!

You did so well considering your injury!  Great job! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed