General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-23 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions
Hi Everyone,

I think I'll finally get myself in the pool this weekend to start my swim training for my first tri in July. I swam in high school so I'm not too concerned about going the distance, but I've never competed in open water before and am concerned about keeping myself on the course. I hope to get some open water swims in prior to the race, but while I'm training in the pool, is there anything (drills, etc.) I can do to prepare for open water swimming? As far as breathing goes, what do most of you do when you're in open water (breathe how often, to one side or alternate sides)? I'd appreciate any advice you can give so I can make the best of my swim training.

Thanks!!
-Stacey

2004-02-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #8941

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions
Hi Stacey,

I am not an expert on open water swimming, but I can give you some advice about training. It is best if you can get some open water swims in. But to help while you are training in a pool, you can practice spotting. About every five or six strokes, lift your head up and take two or three strokes facing forward(Did you ever do the Tarzan drill in swim practice? It is just like that.) During open water swims, this is how you keep yourself on course. As far as breathing, I think you should do what you are most comfortable with. Good luck!
2004-02-23 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
I do about the same thing as hermom mentioned. I do certain drills where every 8 or 10 strokes I lift my head straight up to breathe. Look long enough to focus on an object at the end of the pool. No doubt this is tiring. Just keep doing it and your stroke will get stronger and easier. As far as breathing, I don't do anything different or special. In my normal workout, I alternate no. of breaths per stroke depending on what I'm working on.
2004-02-23 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle
Before a race, try wading out (or even swimming out a bit), and then turning around to look at the shore. What will you be sighting on for your race? Pick out something to aim for on the way in.
2004-02-23 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I've heard the best way to breath is on both sides, every three strokes. [i have yet to master this].

also, practice looking up every so often during the swim- that's supposed to help with navigation purposes. drafting- although illegal in the bike/run-- is hard to control in the water AND really does help with doing less work. try finding someone that's not too fast, nor too slow.... be careful with being kicked in the face or annoying anyone you're drafting from. THIS is something that needs to be practiced before hand.

good luck, hope this helps.
2004-02-23 7:32 PM

, Alabama

If you can't get to open water to train, I agree with doing your best in the pool, however do it with your eyes closed when your head is down.  There are no black lines in the ocean to keep you straight.  Lifting your head up straight every 6-8 strokes for sighting is a good consistent thing.  Sometimes breathing one side or the other depends on the water you are in.  If you are in a calm lake it's a good idea to swim to alternate sides .  If you are in an ocean and it is choppy, you may be better off breathing to the side the shore is on so you don't ly swallow the next wave coming at you!  When you are at your race, swim out to the first turn buoy during warmup and look towards the next buoy, as well as the nearest landmark on shore to help you stay straight. 

Sharon

P.S.  Now that I've read my post, it would be nice if I'd follow my own advice and PRACTICE IT!

2004-02-23 7:46 PM

Oh yes Sharon, we do learn so much -- and have such a time to put it into our own practice! Good tips you've given. I was going to mention the closing of the eyes in the pool -- something I have a difficult time doing. I keep them closed for about 2 strokes and have to take a peek!!! So this doesn't work to well for me...

Practice in open water before the race is really helpful. I plan to do it more this year than I did last year. Also, the course markers are usually pretty big and bright, so you don't have to search too hard to find them -- just lifting your head once in while -- or doing the breast stroke if need be.

2004-02-24 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Thanks for the advice you guys - this site is the best

I guess I'll have to concentrate more than anything on learning how to look up every once in a while, since it's something I've never had to do. There's a small lake (800 m) by my house that the masters swimming association has weekend swims at in the summer, so I'm hoping to practice there before the race. Luckily, the actual race is in a reservoir that has pretty clear, clean water, so I think I'll actually be able to enjoy the swim leg.

As far as breathing on both sides goes, I can do it but usually just breathe on one side because it's easier. Does bilateral breathing generally make it easier to swim in a straight line?
2004-02-24 12:59 PM
in reply to: #9102

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: where in Littleton doyou live? Which lake doyou have close by?
Hi,

where are you racing and doing open water swims? I live in Lakewood, by Bear Creek Park and use the beach there to swim sometimes, but it is not very long... I would love to find another one close by.

Let me know. Thanks,

2004-02-24 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Enrico,

The Colorado Masters Swimming Association (COMSA) has a license for open water swimming at Kingfisher Pond in Chatfield State Park - it's a small gravel pond on the south end of Chatfield Reservoir, but I think swimming the long way across it is close to 800 meters. You have to be a COMSA member to swim during their specified times, which are usually 2-3 hours on Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings between June 1 and Labor Day. I found out about it through a local masters swim team coach, but my guess is that if you went to the website (www.comsa.org) sometime closer to the summertime, you could probably find more info. I guess you're not supposed to swim there alone, but I've been there on weekends and seen people scuba diving and swimming that looked like they were on their own.

There's actually an off-road triathlon there this summer - http://www.youtriit.com/The%20Triathlons%20From%20Chatfield%20State...

That's about all I know!

-Stacey
2004-02-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: #9150

User image

Master
Chicago
Hello Stacey and Erinco,I'm also in Colorado and I've been trying to find an open water swim race, or site that's open before July which is when my tri is. Thanks so much for the information. I'm also going to try to do a few indoor meets with the Colorado Masters just to get used to competition. I'm in Colorado Springs. If you two gals ever need a swimming partner and you don't want to go open water swimming alone please e-mail me and we can meet. Thanks again for the information Stacey I will definitely swim a couple of times before my race. Ovetta.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions Rss Feed