Denton, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Total Time = 2h 45m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

early bird special dinner with a bunch of bt crew followed by an epsom salt bath the night before (solo bath, no bt crew there haha.)

alarm at 3:45, snooze til 4:00, set feet on floor and think, why am i doing this?! :) pb and honey on toast, throw kona on tv for some motivation and the cshock and i are off to the races.
Event warmup:

as craig and i were setting up our transition area, tim and sabrina were in the rack behind us. they have made these very cool flags that clip on to the rack and b/c they were racked together at this race, they had an extra one. craig and i borrowed it and boy, was it awesome. made finding the bike so easy coming into t1 and t2. loved it. thanks tim and sabrina. was very cool! and johnny had put a florescent yellow band on the end of our rack...so that was a huge help too...very easy to find my stuff this round...not that it's usually an issue, it's just nice when i don't have to think about it. very cool.

swam a bit in the lake to get the "panics" out. we were out on the far right when we hear, first oly wave is next and craig says "uh oh, i'm in the second wave" so we high tail it in so he can get in his group. oops! :)
Swim
  • 30m 57s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

bottom line, i'm not fast. BUT, because i know this going in, i just swim and hope to get to the finish line. it was a bit on the choppy side at times, but overall, i felt ok in this swim. i am just not very fast...yet. one funny thing, i felt some fingers on my toes, no biggie. then i felt them again and again and this goes on for several several strokes and all i can think is why on earth would anyone try to draft off me? poor girl doesn't realize we're barely moving...haha.
What would you do differently?:

it's just practice at this point. i'm very comfortable in open water, the "washing machine" is tough, but doesn't scare me, it's all about just getting stronger and faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

felt great. everything was placed perfectly on the rack, so off with the swim cap and goggles, on with helmet and sun glasses. nutrition in pockets, shoes on and i'm off.

i can ALWAYS shave time here, it might make the difference one day between one place and another. not displeased at all with this t1 time, but there's always improvement in transition!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 39s
  • 23 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

bike felt great. one thing about being in the last wave of swimmers along with being a slow swimmer is that i can fly past people on the bike and not get passed back. was awesome. caught women, caught men, felt great. all i kept thinking was go hard, this is a race...and it was proven with my fastest bike time in a race to date. felt awesome.

nothing. at this point it's all about time in the saddle. i would obviously like to see 20's in a race, so it's just about practice. it's getting there though. pleased.

Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

ha-took my feet out of my shoes SOOO early on that i was really ready to dismount by the time it came to do so (see jeepfleebs log for picture of said feet out of shoes!)...did the flying dismount and was into t2. helmet off, visor on, newtons sans socks on, quick sip of water and i'm off.

nuthin'. this felt fast.
Run
  • 57m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

i'm in the process of falling in love with running...so typically this is where i would say that i hated this portion of the race. not so much this go round! i felt great, majority of the run. and NO jelly legs off the bike, at all, it was awesome. i saw todd, murphy, jenny and craig which is always a boost. after that, i saw johnny and karen, karen and i even ran together for a bit, again, fun...then later i saw chris then gary...how could you have a bad run when you see all your friends?! :)

i was very comfortable out there, only walking the water stations and running and concentrating on form. all that kept going through my head was "must remember to thank jenny for running with me all those mornings" because there is no doubt in my mind that she has made me a stronger runner. i'm feeling what it feels like to run at certain paces and be more comfortable at certain paces.

passed a lot of people on this run, which again, does not happen to me and only got passed twice, if i recall. there was one dude that i kept going back and forth with and he passed me with about .3 left, but i got him at the finish line (with jenny's help telling me to sprint even though i didn't think i had any gas left...clearly i was wrong!) :) overall, felt really great.

it's all about continuing to train and get stronger. i'm finally seeing improvements from training, so, i'll continue to train and hopefully will continue to get stronger. other than that, i couldn't do anything different today!
Post race
Warm down:

gave kisses to the family and craig and hung with the bt crew. gosh, there were a ton of us out there, it was truly awesome. hung around for awards, b/c thanks to going 10 deep, i got an award for 5th in ag. cheered on the other bters who all got awards, was greatness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

me. i'm the only one to blame b/c the course, the weather, the support couldn't have been better. it was a perfect day to race. just need to keep training and getting stronger. it'll come.

Event comments:

awesome, awesome race. great course. great support. weather couldn't have been more perfect. was just great.

great fun hanging with all of bt - craig (docshock), todd (teecris), jenny (tri z-and 1st in ag, i might add), todd (fasttoad), robin (superbird), kris (flomomango), brent (mtmoi), aaron (jeepfleeb) with his trusty camera, steve (doughboy), marcy (dodgersmom), met brittany (texasmpgal), gary (gaarryy), bonny (bonbeebe), john (jcagg) was there for moral support, tim (tajsss), sabrina (hmmm, does sabrina have a handle?), karen (ksh), johnny (jbrashear), william (triritter), tommy (ziacyclist) and michelle (she's bt in my eyes!! :)) sue (sportysue), met jill (texmom), the cervelo mafia boys were present-chris (livestrong) and brian (bkarhu) and many more i'm certain i'm forgetting. what a great community...loads of fun guys...great job with all the hardware earned!!

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:57 | 1500 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 13/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:39 | 23 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:57 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-15 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Disco Triathlon Olympic

2008-07-15 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1530226

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon Olympic
WOW! Great race Jen!

Keep swimming with Master's... and that time will go down on the swim. Also do more open water swimming... find a group where you can do it once a week. That time will go down.

The bike was FAST! I bet if there had been smooth road the entire distance and no rain it would have been 20 mph...easy.

Your run was awesome! I was seeing how long I could keep you at bay. I was certain that you and Jonny would catch me. My HR was so high, I had to walk some to try to make sure I finished. HA! All I remember is you saying, "I just want this to be over!". You certainly were motivated to keep running! I kept seeing you in the distance and I told myself to keep you in eyesight... to keep me motivated!

Awesome race... and 5th place? WOWOWOWOWOW! Really cool!

I can't wait to watch you train over the next year for your IM!
2008-07-15 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great job, jen!! No flats, that's a plus!
2008-07-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1530319

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I go up to that Pier 121 to do open water swims,, I think you mentioned you also do, it's a nice spot for OWS practice, no wonder you got some hardware you had a great race... If you just keep putting the training in, you will get faster,, but hey it's hard for us people from the sprinting quick burst sports to get this stuff down
2008-07-15 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Great race...you are fast on that bike...and your run is not bad either!  You will be sub 9 in an Olympic soon!  I saw you cross the finish and you had a super smile, and looked strong!
2008-07-15 9:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-15 9:31 AM

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great job Jen. That 20 mph bike will come very soon.
2008-07-15 9:45 AM

, Texas
WTG. You are quickly improving in all aspects and will be taking home the hardware soon enough.
2008-07-15 11:40 AM

Veteran
This was a PR for you in all 3 sports!  Enjoy the success for a day or two...then back to training!  HAHAHA!  I was so glad to see the happy JJ crossing the finish line!  What a great race and fun too!  i
2008-07-15 12:29 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Great race!  But I'm most impressed that you remembered everybody there, including their BT handle!  But I wasn't there, so I guess you could've fooled me...
2008-07-15 1:01 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race, Jen.  Congrats on the the PRs.

TJ

2008-07-15 1:16 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great race!! I love the concept of "in the process of falling in love with running"--once that happened to me it made so much difference, so keep doing exactly what you're doing to make that process happen, it's like magic when it all clicks and you love it!! Great job, very glad to have met you!
2008-07-15 4:24 PM

Dallas, Texas
Great race lil' sis...I look forward to being passed (or as Murphy says pasted) by you at an upcoming race!
2008-07-15 9:02 PM

Great race there Jen.  Congrats on the PR's.
2008-07-15 10:10 PM

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice to meet you! Wish we could have hung out longer after the race, but had to head home to pick up the kids. You were smokin fast on the bike and great race overall!
2008-07-16 1:27 PM

letters/numbers RULZ!! You had such a great smile the whole time...fun hangin afterward and you finally got to lay eyes on mango. She would love to meet your silver fox...

2008-07-16 9:54 PM

Veteran

I love that there was no post race kleenex necessary!  What a great race you had.  I'm really happy you finally see some results in an Oly and that the fox held up this time.  Most of all it looked like you really had fin with it!

Love u JJ!  Way to go!

2008-07-17 9:12 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
I can feel the runner developing within you, coming out to play at key times like this race.  Well done on the run as I think a well-run 10K at the end of a OLY is one of the hardest things to do in triathlon.
2008-07-18 10:55 AM

Expert
Plano, TX

That was a very solid race!  You were right behind me the whole time.  Okay, I racked RIGHT next to Jonny and near Sabrina and Tim and I didn't see anything resembling a marker but a ton of bikes in T1.  I need to pay closer attention.  I usually just hire a spectator to scream where my bike is when I come out of the water.  It is always good to see you at the races! 

2008-07-18 4:14 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
It has been so much fun to watch you go from BOPer to MOPer to FOPer and truely enjoy the experience. I am very proud of you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed