General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW: Transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-15 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: TOTW: Transitions

Transitions are easy money when it comes to shaving minutes off your finishing time.  This topic of the week thread is to discuss tips, tricks and each person's approach to setting up their T1 and T2 transitions.

Judging by the picnic T1 I have had at my last two races, I for one will benefit from the discussion!

2008-07-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1530619

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: TOTW: Transitions
For both my races so far, I've kept it simple. Only the things I NEED in my transition area.

First race I wore socks, just because. This past weekend, I went without and was fine.

I think the only things that'll make me measurably faster in there are dedicated tri shoes and elastic/bungee laces, for ease/speed of getting them on my feets.

If I get really geeked out next year, I might even practice a transition. I'll have to start placing in the top 1/3 to get there though...

Good topic, btw.

Edited by bcart1991 2008-07-15 9:59 AM
2008-07-15 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
A tip really driven home after last weeks race in Chattanooga. Bring zip lock storage bags to place valuables, and items in that you don't want to get wet. Keep these bags in your transition bag for all races, and NEVER assume it's not going to rain. Not your Transition items, but other stuff you may have with you that you don't want ruined.. like a camera etc.

2008-07-15 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Personally, I try to only bring in to the T-Zones what I will be using. Everything else, I try and get my wife to carry (e.g. grab bag, etc.). If not, then I place it behind my towel. I always place a towel, folded down so it is just large enough to fit my shoes, helmet and sun glasses on. Basically, I make a "L" on the towel with my stuff. Up the left side, sunglasses then helmet. On the right side, my shoes with my socks rolled up sitting in each one (e.g. bottom right). Behind my shoes is a blank spot, so for the purpose of imaging, top right. My cycling shoes are already attached to the bike, and I keep it in a high gear (easy).

When I come into T1, I already have cap/goggles in hand. I drop them in the blank spot behind my shoes, grab sunglass then helmet. Grab the bike and I am off. I like to have my bike facing forward in T1, hung by the seat, and I hold by the stem. That way, I give it a push to drop the rear, and my hands are already on the stem.

Coming back into T2, I am barefoot as I cycle without socks. This helps dry the feet off, and speeds up T1 without trying to put on socks onto wet feet. When I get to my area, I rack the bike in reverse from how I have it set up in T1. Thus, I push the handlebars under the rack and hook the seat, so it is facing the other way. Drop the helmet, right sock, right shoe, left sock, left shoe. I already have my sunglasses on from the bike, so I grab my race belt and go. On the way out of T2 I fasten the belt.

I used to average 2:00-3:00 minutes for T1 & about 1:30 or so for T2 before moving to this type of transition. Now, I avg about 35-43 seconds for T1, and around 45 seconds for T2. My fastest T1 is 27.2 seconds. More-or-less, I was able to shave around 3:00 minutes of my total time by changing to this approach.

Of course, I practiced all off-season mounting & dismounting the bike, and I never unhook my shoes unless I am transporting the bike some where. Other than that, I practice getting on & off the bike "flying dismount" style every time I get on the bike.
2008-07-15 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Ever get lost in the Transition area? It can happen and few things in a triathlete's life are more frustrating than scooting up and down the aisle looking for your spot while other folks, who used to be behind you, continue on their merry way..

Best idea I've seen is a pin-wheel, whirly-gig thingy that spins with the breeze, attached to the bike rack..Catches your eye immediately. Short of that, just taking a moment to make note of any landmark to sight off of could really save a few, awful minutes of fumbling around. Seems so simple, I'm sure.

2008-07-15 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Transitions are easy time to be gained, the biggest thing you can do is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

Some tips from what I do and what I have observed over the years:

T1-Cap and goggles off as soon as you are upright and out of the water (sounds simple but you would be surprised at how many people run to transition with their swim cap on). When using a wetsuit, zipper down as soon as you are upright and peel the suit down to your waist. There was a debate earlier this year about "to wetsuit or not wetsuit" at a sprint race, this is where practice comes in again. I wore my suit and was as fast or faster out of T1 than some folks who didn't wear one. My advice is unless you are a former college swimmer then wear the wetsuit when you are allowed to.

The key to getting OUT of T1 fast is laying out your transition area in a way that makes sense and is ergonomically efficient. I choose to put my helmet on my aerobars and my sunglasses inside of the helmet, some folks like to put everything on the towel so they only have to bend down once. I put my cycling shoes with the straps open on the front of my towel. My sequence is shoes on and velcroed, stand up and put on suglasses, then the helmet, buckle the helmet and grab bike to run out and go. I am not a fan of the flying mount as I think that it increases the chance of a crash vs the time you actually save by doing it.

T2- This IMO is the easy transition. Feet out of the shoes prior to the dismount line whether you do the flying dismount or not. I have the behind the seat water bottle cages so I do not do the flying dismount. Run into transition and rack the bike, then unbuckle the helmet and take it off. Bend down and pull on running shoes, grab visor and race belt with number attached and run out of transition.

Some Tips:

1) Try and go sockless for Sprints and Olympics, these races are short enough that the time you take to try and put socks on over wet feet can cost you placings. Make sure however that you "train as you fight" and do you workouts sockless.

2) Attach visor to race belt and run out of transition as you are putting them on. There is no rule that says you have to have your belt on prior to leaving T2.

3) Practice your sequence and then break it down even further and practice the parts that are slowing you down. NAMC and The Sportfactory have a transition clinic at the beginning of each season and we consistantly have some of the best transition times around.

4) Don't panic if something is not where you left it. With the ever increasing size of races space on the rack is getting smaller and smaller.

5) Wear Yanks or Lock Laces in your training shoes as well, that way you are practicing your transition everytime you put your shoes on.

2008-07-15 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Another thing I have noticed is the tendency of racers coming out of the water to run towards T1 at the same pace as the person in front of them, usually a jog. It's a race and you may not have easier pickings for AG place improvement than all the folks you could be passing on the way to your bike. IMHO, in a Sprint or Int'l Dist., there's no reason not to be going as fast as you can at this point of the event...Trust me, you can catch your breath in the first few minutes on the bike.
2008-07-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1530953

User image

Master
I'm the master of the slow transition but have improved a lot this year already. Still not as fast as 1111, but the things that have helped me:

1. GU flask on the bike. One less thing to pick up.
2. Socks only for the run. My feet sweat a lot and blister so I don't think I can run sockless but I CAN bike that way.
3. Socks rolled into donuts - just roll them on.
4. Shoes tied ahead of time - just slip them on. Yankz hurt me and I've not tried Lock-Laces but just having them already tied and double-knotted really helped.
5. Same as Brett said about the race number belt and hat/visor. Once the shoes are on, I grab and go.
6. Practice the transitions after setting up my area. Yes, I'm the idiot running from the swim entrance and pretending to put on her helmet while talking to herself. I went to a clinic before my first tri (last year's Hansgrohe race) and Carole Sharpless gave us a demonstration and recommended pantomiming the transitions prior to a race so you don't screw up. I identify the entrances/exits and do this at every race. I think it helps so that I'm confident of where I'm going and so I don't forget any gear.
2008-07-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1530947

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
alltom1 - 2008-07-15 12:43 PM

Ever get lost in the Transition area? It can happen and few things in a triathlete's life are more frustrating than scooting up and down the aisle looking for your spot while other folks, who used to be behind you, continue on their merry way..

Best idea I've seen is a pin-wheel, whirly-gig thingy that spins with the breeze, attached to the bike rack..Catches your eye immediately. Short of that, just taking a moment to make note of any landmark to sight off of could really save a few, awful minutes of fumbling around. Seems so simple, I'm sure.

I balloon will work wonders!

alltom1
Another thing I have noticed is the tendency of racers coming out of the water to run towards T1 at the same pace as the person in front of them, usually a jog. It's a race and you may not have easier pickings for AG place improvement than all the folks you could be passing on the way to your bike. IMHO, in a Sprint or Int'l Dist., there's no reason not to be going as fast as you can at this point of the event...Trust me, you can catch your breath in the first few minutes on the bike.

Agreed ^^^

In one race I did, there was a .25 mile run between the swim exit and T1. I took off like a bat out of hell, and pasted half of the people that pasted me in the swim. Then, I pasted other 25% of the people coming out of T1.
2008-07-15 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I like to think that my transitions are usually pretty fast (top 10%).  It all begins before the race. 

1.  KISS.  Keep it Simple Stupid. Have a transition race plan and execute it.  Transition isn't for decision making.  Pre-race is.  Only put out what you need. 

2.  Walk through transition mentally and physically.  Mentally walk through all the steps to ensure you have everything and know what order you use it.  Physically walk through transition.  Where do you enter?  Where do you exit?  Is it different for the run?  I am constantly amazed at the number of people who get lost in transition. 

3.  Know where you bike is and the quickest path to it.  Just like #2, walk through it.  Do you need something to identify it your row?  Baby powder or tape.  Mark your row if needed.  But walk though this process several times so that you don't have to think about it.  (caution--sometimes transitions are set up to flow in a certain manner.  I always ask the RD if it is required for me to go a certain direction.  I don't believe there is a rule against it.  Put always get the opinion from the RD.  If s/he gives you the green light, take the shortest path possible).

4.  Learn to run with your bike.  Sounds simple but many people screw up this part.  

5.  T1--I prefer to ride sockless.  Open the straps on your shoes so that you can just step into them.  Add bodyglide to the rims of the shoe if they are tight.  Have you helmet unbuckled and straps open so that you can put it right on your head.  Where are your glasses?  I leave my in my aerobottle and put them on once I get moving.  

5a.  If you are going to leave the shoes on the bike make CERTAIN that you practice, practice, practice.  IMO, it isn't often worth the 2-3 seconds you save.  You can run and jump on your bike just as fast.  I encourage people to go watch bike starts.  I would estimate that only 10% of those who try to do a flying mount actually succeed.  The others fumble around and put others at risk.  I see too many people who have to reset their shoes, slow down to get in them.  I just jump on the bike and go.

6.  I do believe getting out of the shoes saves tons of time.  Flying dismount or not, get out of your shoes (this is easiest if you have one strap tri shoes).   If you do the flying dismount, again practice.  You can save several seconds here if you know how to keep your momentum...but if you have to slam on your brakes causing your back wheel to pop in the air or cause your cleat to go flying (lol), you have just lost all the time you would have saved. 

6a.  I personally, just pick up the bike and run in T2.  I don't worry about steering.  I put it up on my shoulder and run as hard as I can while unbuckling my helmet.  

7.  I put on socks to run.  Put them on before the race so that they have the imprint of your foot.  Roll the top down a bit so that your toes shoot right through.  Put yanks on your running shoes so they slide right in.  I leave my visor and race number clipped together.  Run out of t2 with it all and put it on when you are moving.  

Other thoughts...if you are going to need nutrition, keep it simple.  Fuel belt, run (carefully) with it out of transition.  Gel?  Leave it on top of your shoe.  Personally, for an Oly or more, I use gel flasks.  They are full on the bike and I set up my bike nutrition in a way that I just take the flask from the bike to the run.  Simple.   

2008-07-16 5:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I tend to do pretty well on transitions. The times I've gotten hung up were either because I forgot where my rack location actually was or I started overthinking/debating something. I agree with the whole KISS method. The less you have in your t area, the less likely you are to get hung up. If you're only doing a sprint or olympic, don't clutter your area with un-necessary items. Whenever possible I even remove my transition bag from my t area and store it in my car or somewhere outside the t zone. You have to think a lot less when there is nothing in your t area but the necessities. In my opinion buckets that you sit on, or buckets of water to clean your feet just add clutter to your area and also time to a transition. I sometimes leave a little rag sized towel in t to use just in case I need to wipe off my feet but I have rarely used it. I laugh every race I see people sitting on buckets or thoroughly cleaning their feet before getting in their shoes. I also hold to the idea of trying to run as fast as you can through transitions. I can't tell you how many times I've passed people who actually beat me out of the water because they walk or jog into transition. A trick I've used when I've thought of overpacking is to fold my transition towel to a small size (about the size of a hand towel) and limit myself to only having stuff that will fit on the towel. If I can't fit it on my small towel, I don't really need it. 

2008-07-16 8:39 PM

User image

Master

Once again, late to the party.  Dollar, Leslie, Brett and Mrs Brown Dog covered all the good stuff.

Maybe the only thing I can add is that the more fit I get, the faster I am able to run from the water to my bike in T1.  At this point, this is where my major time savings can be had since the rest of my stuff is so lean per the suggestions above. 

2008-07-17 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

One thing I have learned is that I used to think that it was important to get my HR down in T1 prior to jumping on the bike.  That is not necessarily true as you can do that via 'active recovery' during the first few miles on the bike.

Strapping on the Garmin is one thing that seems to knock me off stride in T1.  I am considering getting a less bulky, simple HR monitor for race day that I can wear from swim to bike to run.

While it is nice to know the distance 'real time' on the run and other pieces of useless information, it is not necessary as the course is marked.   The only thing I really need during the race is simple HR information to ensure that I do not blow-up or slack off as RPE can sometimes get a bit whacky on race day.

2008-07-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1536046

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
brian - 2008-07-17 8:57 AM

One thing I have learned is that I used to think that it was important to get my HR down in T1 prior to jumping on the bike.  That is not necessarily true as you can do that via 'active recovery' during the first few miles on the bike.

I can understand wanting to settle down in anything longer than an Int'l. distance race but, to me anyways, the essence of the shorter races is being at close to red-line the whole way through.. What I really meant though, was not that you had to sprint to your bike, but that it's a good chance to move up some spaces in AG by not moving at the same pace as the guy in front of you.
2008-07-17 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Honestly, I run from the water to T every time, and pass many many people, but I have never once thought of it as passing them in the race. So lets say you pass 4 people on the swim once in open water, you can actually pass 5, 10, sometimes 15 people on the way to T if you do it right. Hmmm. I need to incorporate this into my thought process now. I've just learned some invaluable information.
2008-07-17 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1536046

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Strapping on the Garmin is one thing that seems to knock me off stride in T1.  I am considering getting a less bulky, simple HR monitor for race day that I can wear from swim to bike to run

Brian,

I use the quick release for my 305 and it doesn't take any time to click it onto my wrist or my bike. Here the link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544

Doug

2008-07-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1537923

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
brown_dog_us - 2008-07-17 4:45 PM

Strapping on the Garmin is one thing that seems to knock me off stride in T1. I am considering getting a less bulky, simple HR monitor for race day that I can wear from swim to bike to run

Brian, I use the quick release for my 305 and it doesn't take any time to click it onto my wrist or my bike. Here the link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544 Doug

I haven't raced with the Garmin and quick release yet, but I have been practicing it in transition.  If I race with it, I did put in on in t1....only took a few extra seconds. 

2008-07-17 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Can't add much that has not been covered, but here is one....

double your socks back on itself so when you put it on it only covers the first half of your foot, then pull the top of the sock over the rest of your foot.  If you have sweat on your feet, you can get caught up in pushing your foot into the sock.  You can really guarantee a smooth on every time.

2008-07-18 5:40 AM
in reply to: #1537923

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
brown_dog_us - 2008-07-17 4:45 PM

Strapping on the Garmin is one thing that seems to knock me off stride in T1.  I am considering getting a less bulky, simple HR monitor for race day that I can wear from swim to bike to run

Brian,

I use the quick release for my 305 and it doesn't take any time to click it onto my wrist or my bike. Here the link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544

Doug

I just ordered one this week from amazon(17$) after not being happy being unable to see anything since I switched from a computer to a speed/cadence sensor for the forerunner.
2008-07-18 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Brett, Dollar and gang have covered a majority of the stuff.  The couple of things I would add are this:

Calm and consistant.  Have a pattern and don't get freaked out.  The less you have to think the easier your transition will be.

If you put your sunglasses in your helmet, have them with the arms open so you can just put them on your head.

Bend down as little as possible.  I've seen so many people bend down, put something on, bend down again, etc. 

Anything you can do 'down range' is better than doing it standing in one place.  T2 should be shoes on, grab your hat and race belt (placed inside hat) and GO.  Put that stuff on as you run/walk out.  Just not standing in front of your bike.

The most important thing, if you don't do ANYTHING else is this:  

Before you leave the Transition area, walk over to the swim entrance to T1.  Jog to your spot, point and mimic putting on your bike gear (helmet, glasses, shoes and socks).  Then jog to the bike exit.  Jog from the bike in to your spot and point and mimic putting on your run gear (shoes, grab hat and race belt).  Jog to run exit.

WALK AWAY... 

Plug:  We are having a free transition clinic this coming Thursday (7/24) at All3Sports.  It starts at 10 am before packet pick-up for Mistletoe. 

2008-07-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1538722

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
thecaptin - 2008-07-17 10:29 PM

Can't add much that has not been covered, but here is one....

double your socks back on itself so when you put it on it only covers the first half of your foot, then pull the top of the sock over the rest of your foot.  If you have sweat on your feet, you can get caught up in pushing your foot into the sock.  You can really guarantee a smooth on every time.

Agreed ^^

Also, wear the socks the morning of. E.g. wear them to the race, while you are setting up, etc. That will get your footprint in them, and then as you take them off, roll them down. Personally, I roll them down so far that when I put them on, they only cover my toes. The combo of both of those will help speed up the process.

2008-07-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1530947

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA
I got lost in the IRON GIRL.  My worst two transitions EVER!  I was wondering if we could use markers.  Could I tie a red bandanna on the bar by my bike?  I've never seen markers in a transition area...maybe I just wasn't looking for one.  Is it allowed by USAT ?
2008-07-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1552903

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
abbagej - 2008-07-23 2:42 PM

I got lost in the IRON GIRL.  My worst two transitions EVER!  I was wondering if we could use markers.  Could I tie a red bandanna on the bar by my bike?  I've never seen markers in a transition area...maybe I just wasn't looking for one.  Is it allowed by USAT ?

I dont know about the rules, since its been awhile since ive read them, but I have seen people bring helium-filled balloons to races. My other idea was a brightly colored towel

Edited by kevint 2008-07-23 1:56 PM
2008-07-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1539182

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA
I've gone sockless the last two races.  I haven't gotten any blisters and it makes tranisition a little faster.  I also use YANKZ! which seems to help t2.  However, I always seem to honk and squeek throughout my runs.
2008-07-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1552973

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

kevint - 2008-07-23 2:55 AM
abbagej - 2008-07-23 2:42 PM I got lost in the IRON GIRL. My worst two transitions EVER! I was wondering if we could use markers. Could I tie a red bandanna on the bar by my bike? I've never seen markers in a transition area...maybe I just wasn't looking for one. Is it allowed by USAT ?
I dont know about the rules, since its been awhile since ive read them, but I have seen people bring helium-filled balloons to races. My other idea was a brightly colored towel

At my last sprint, i put a neon yellow reflector belt on the handlebars. Made finding bike easier.

I would also suggest mentally mapping the fastest route to your bike from the swim. For example, note which row you are in so you don't have to backtrack. I saw some guys go up one row, then have to backtrack after they had gone 15-20 steps up the wrong row! It's pretty difficult to jump over or cut through a rack if there are full of bikes and gear, especially after the run to T1 from the swim! B)

Edited by tri_d00d 2008-07-24 7:51 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TOTW: Transitions Rss Feed  

of 2