Dallas Athletes
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 25s
Overall Rank = 84/283
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

On Saturday I headed up to N. Dallas to Gary's place. Gary played host for BonBeebe, TriRitter, me, and my dog. He was a good host, and my dog enjoyed playing with the big dogs too. Anyhow, at about 3PM we headed to pick up our packets in Highland Village and then met up with lots of BT'ers at a pasta place for dinner. I finally got meet many of the DFW BT crew to include Dodgersmom, Doughboy, OlgAg92, jcagg90, docshock, jah2212 (hope I didn't miss anyone). It was a really good time! That evening I was tired and tried to get to sleep at about 9:30PM, but probably drifted to sleep around 10:30--but slept much better than usual before a race. I got up at 0350, got dressed, took 2 endurolytes (thought it would be hot..not so much), gathered my gear, put the dog in his kennel, ate a banana joined the rest of the house crew in loading our bikes onto Bonny's car (or into with my bike--frame to small to put on the carrier, haha!). We left slightly later than we planned, but still with good time. Thanks for driving Bonny. I ate a PBJ english muffin on the way to the site. We got there when transition was opening, got body marked, and headed in to grab a space. I got a GREAT rack space on an end next to the in/out aisle and in about the center of all the Oly racks. I set up my gear, used the bathroom (only twice I think), got my chip, chit chatted with some of the folks around and met some more BT'ers (aestritx) and then headed down to the beach to chit chat with more folks, warm up, and get the party started!
Event warmup:

I swam about 300m, not very long or far, just to get loosened up.
Swim
  • 26m 43s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the first legitimate beach run swim start I have had (BSLT was just weird, so it doesn't count for this). I started up front, somewhat near the middle, and slightly right. I ran as far as was efficient and then dove in and started swimming. There was contact for sure, but I haven't had any yet that was so horrible I couldn't deal with it. I just play contact back and keep on swimming. It was a little tough to see the first turn buoy, and I found myself drifting FAR too much to the left and had to cut back in to get to the buoy. This put me in the middle of our swim wave, I think (all the Oly women went at once), and I found myself sort of by myself after the first turn. After that first turn we started catching chop, and anytime I tried to sight I pretty much caught a face full of water first. I passed some of the guys wave here and tried to keep my eyes on some of the speedy pink caps from my wave. I just wanted the swim done. I tried hard to keep good form, keep my head where it should be, and make the breathing efficient. I finally made the final turn (still drifted somewhat left before that) and started the last leg in to the beach. When I started sighting to the beach I noticed a rainbow, and that was really cool and I could actually sight off of it. I finally caught some feet on this leg and made it in pretty well and strong. I came running out of the water and made the very long run to T1. I was surprised how many people just walk out of the water, I passed a good handful of men and women just by running. I was still within my less than 2:00 min/100 meter goal, so I'm okay with it.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster...just more OWS will help me with this, the waves got to me a little bit. My sighting needs help, my drifting is causing me to swim longer, which definitely doesn't help with time, speed, and energy. This is probably where I could benefit to improve the most. The straighter I can keep myself the faster my swim time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

At first I was disappointed at this time, but then I remembered there was a good 200m run uphill right out of the water, so this was a decent time and I was actually 2nd in my AG with this. I did run all the way from the beach to transition, no lolly gagging up the hill for me. I found my gear no problem (bright towel and on the inside aisle). I changed the order I put things on for this one, I went shoes first, glasses, helmet, go in order to keep from dripping all over my glasses like I have the last 3 times tri's. Except for, and I knew there'd be something I'd screw up, I had a tiny little body glide container that had somehow made it's way into the toe of my right bike shoe, so I had to take that shoe off, dump out the thing and put it back on again. Opps. Oh well, the order of my transition went well minus this and I was out and on the bike fast. Still need to learning a better jumping on the bike method, but I got going fast.

Learn how to jump on the bike and/or get into my shoes on the bike. Check all my shoes prior to the race to make sure nothing is in them. That was wasted seconds.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 23s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN! I got out on the bike, and due to some advice that was given at dinner (I don't remember who gave it) I didn't try to take it easy and get into I just WENT. I didn't worry about getting my HR down, I just went for it. There were some hills off the bat and then there was a wonderful downhill where I saw 37mph! I worked hard on every descent to make up free time, I hammered the flats, and I did my best to maintain good cadence up the hills. I never came out of aero minus a couple of the turns. I passed lots of people right off the bat and throughout the ride, men and women. I played leap frog with the lady that ended up being the Grand Master's champion. We leap frogged for literally 2/3rds of the ride until I finally dropped her. At about mile 12, I think, I passed Gary and his nice wheel set. He said he wondered when I was going to catch him. He then passed me after a nice downhill, and then I passed him again. Not long after that, a guy on a yellow bike with nice wheels started passing me and I thought it was Gary and I told him, "oh go ahead and be a show off"--all in jest. The guy then said, what? I realized it was NOT Gary, and I said "sorry, I thought you were someone else!" Hahaha! Also, at the same time I passed Gary, I passed Tim, and then Tim passed me while ringing his BELL on his BIKE! It was HILARIOUS and AWESOME! I told him that was classic, and I loved it!! Nicely done Tim! At 8 mi. and 17 mi. I took all the hills pretty well and maybe should've downshifted to the small ring a couple of times, but I never came out of aero as none of them were that challenging. It did start raining during the ride, but it wasn't as hard or pounding as BSLT had been, so I just kept pushing hard. I took in a Gu, besides that I had finished me aero bottle and about 1/3rd of a bottle of GU2O. After my back feeling the pain it did at BSLT after the bike, at about mile 20 I took 2 Excedrin. I wasn't in pain then, but I didn't feel any later either. I had just enough to have me ready for the run. At about 4 miles left a 36 year old lady on a nice Felt passed me, then I passed her, then she passed me and led us into transition. She was the only woman to pass me on the bike and stay ahead of me. The only problem I had on the bike was my silly velcro on the left shoe kept hitting my crank and I'd have to reach down and put it back. But, in general, my bike handling skills were some of the best they've been on a ride...I'm able to do SO much more in aero than ever before. I did have one small scare on the last turn we took from the country roads back to the main road going the park--there was wet gravel I didn't see and while I didn't slip, for a moment I thought my bike might skid in it. Thankfully no harm done. I was slightly afraid I was hammering too hard and I might blow up my legs, but I felt good and I was keeping between 90-95 rpms, and so I just kept with it. I am SO VERY PLEASED and thrilled with my bike split! I did get out of my bike shoes when I saw the transition area, and right as I was heading towards the dismount line someone cheered for me--and since I only knew BT'ers, it had to have been some of y'all--so thank you whomever it was! Also saw Aaron on the course taking pictures--thanks much--you rock.

Keep my velcro on the shoe from hitting the crank and having to fix it. Continue to work on my hill shifting strategy. Mine isn't bad, but can always use refinement. Best speed I've ever maintained on a ride, and especially considering it was hilly and a little wet (but not hot! yay!) I am just on a high from this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I got out of my shoes, hopped off as fast as I could (still need work here) and ran right to my rack, racked the bike, threw off the helmet with the glasses at the same time as they were wet and I didn't need them. Prior to the race I had to medical tape my right foot to cover up some blister spots I had acquired the past week. Thankfully it all held up just fine in the swim and bike, so even though I had socks available, I didn't need them. I had body glided my shoes, and they slipped on really fast. I then grabbed my visor, my water bottle, and race belt and headed out. I would put the visor and race belt on while running.

Nothing, this went fantastic for me. Running sans socks was excellent and surely helps transition time. 1st in my AG group here, one other girl was within 8 seconds of me, but I killed this one.
Run
  • 48m 31s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of the run I was right behind Felt Newton (the name I gave the 36 yr. old lady that passed me on the bike--she had a Felt and was running in in Newtons) and she was keeping a decent a pace and I just stayed about 5 feet behind her. I, for the first time ever, didn't start off too fast. My legs didn't feel blown up from the ride, but I feared they might be so I just tried to keep steady, and looking at my times I did that well for the first 5K even tackling hills. I grabbed water at aide stations to take a sip and then dump on my head. I had a bottle of Nuun with me, and took one gel at 2 miles into the bike. I stayed behind Felt Newton until the 5K turn around and then I passed her and another two ladies. I could tell when we hit the nice gradual hill that I had enjoyed as a downhill on the way out (Mile 5), but I also knew I was about to try and kick it during the last 1.2 miles. Suddenly, Grand Master Seduza (the 51 yr Grand Master's woman winner that I played leap frog on the bike with) passed me at about the 4 mile mark, she was amazing, but I think she pushed a little too hard as I passed her again at about the 5 mile mark. I saw LOTs of BT'ers on the run and appreciated all the "good jobs" and tried to, between breathing, give them back out to folks too. There was some other fun chit chat on the run. Triathletes are great. Once I made the last turn and had about .2 miles left and heard the music, saw the beach I just kicked it as hard as I could in towards the finish line. Great race!

Run harder--really, I think I may have had too much left in the tank, but I was worried that I had pushed to hard on the bike, so I wanted to make sure I had what I needed to make it all 10K. But other than increasing my run volume, some longer speed work, and knowing my pacing better, I ran this well.
Post race
Warm down:

I let them take my chip off--I think they thought I should take it off, no, I wasn't bending down. I was really thirsty, so I grabbed some water. BTChance found me and congratulated me. I got some more water, chatted with and cheered in BT'ers. I didn't want pizza or watermelon, but I wasn't famished. Then Tommy's wife offered us these incredibly wonderful and tasty morsels/cookie bars that just hit the spot! Cheered in BT'ers and a Blogger friend, and then went and watched the BT Crew rack in the hardware!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training race for me with no taper and at the beginning of my train up post BSLT 70.3 in prep for Longhorn 70.3. My run volume was lacking for BSLT, and with this just 2 weeks post BSLT, I had obviously not gotten this back up. For me, the farther I am comfortable and used to running, the much faster I am on the shorter distances. So, just like BSLT, more run volume. But I was very happy with this race and really like the Oly distance. I remember being just beat after the Lonestar 1/4 Iron, and not feeling like that this time shows me where my tri-fitness has improved in the past 3 months.

Event comments:

Well organized by Dallas Athletes. The schwag of shirt and hat were good, the set up of the race and volunteers/transition area was very nice--they even had people spraying feet after the swim. The award ceremony was somewhat disorganized, and I'd like something other than just pizza/watermelon after a race, and there wasn't much of that as the Sprinters and spectators had consumed most of it by the time the Oly folks finished. Need to limit spectators eating the food and add in something like bagels and bananas. But seriously, no big issue. The race was fun, the announcer was good, and I really really enjoyed it. So many great BT'ers at this race, and I know I didn't get to meet all of you. Getting to meet Marcy in person was great too. Big thanks to Hotel Gary and Taxi Bonny...and thanks to all the BT'ers that said hi, can't wait to see y'all again. Congrats to all the hardware winners out there too!!

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:43 | 1500 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 127/283
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot tri shorts, ZootGU tri top
Course: A trapezoid type swim, out to a buoy, right turn to another buoy, right turn and in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:23 | 23 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 90/283
Performance: Good
164bpm avg/182bpm max
Wind: Some
Course: Out of the park on good road to a turn around, then a right hand turn that led to some chip seal, then some country road, then back to good road and into the park. Mostly good road with rolling hills throughout.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:31 | 06.2 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 88/283
Mile 1: 8:05/171 Mile 2: 7:59/173 Mile 3: 7:59/175 Mile 4: 8:09/177 Mile 5: 8:17/178 Mile 6: 7:41/180 Mile .2: 5:56/184
Course: Out and back, rolling hills, more ascent on the first half than the second half. Half the route is on shaded running path, the rest is on road leading out of the park and back into the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-15 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2008-07-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1530709

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon

my dogs miss your dogs  and the house full of people.

I"m glad you could crash at the hotel, it was great to have you there..
you are an incredible tri racer,, this was just your 3rd or 4th.. wow.. When your fast and famous I'm claiming that I let a future champion  stay at my house.

It was great seeing you on the race course and the other person was my race double in case someone tried to steal my wheels the night before

2008-07-15 10:56 AM

New user
Very nice RR. You were definitely booking on the bike/run. I am intrigued by the body glide in the shoes and the lack of socks.  Might have to try that on my next run. 
2008-07-15 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

Great job out there!  It was so good to see you again!  I knew you would totally rock this course.  First Olympic...2nd place....just did BSLT....you amaze me.  Really.  Your discipline in your diet and training is such a great example to the rest of us.  I can't believe I have to wait until Longhorn to see you again! 

CONGRATULATIONS ON AN EXCELLENT RACE!!!

2008-07-15 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran

Great race in all 3 sports!  Good for you for passing felt newton at the turn around!  Congratulations!

2008-07-15 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
you're really really speedy. nicely done!! so happy to have met you!!

Edited by jah2212 2008-07-15 11:37 AM

2008-07-15 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Fast!  Good job out there.
2008-07-15 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Great race! When I grow up, I want to be fast like you
2008-07-15 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job out there.  2nd in your AG...way to take home the hardware.  Nice meeting you and hope to see you at future races.

TJ

2008-07-15 1:58 PM

User image

Nice race out there, congrats.
2008-07-15 4:26 PM

Master
Houston

Yet again you rocked the place!!!  Simply amazing!  Great job, Brit!  I am looking forward to Longhorn to see where you go with that one, it should be something to see!

2008-07-15 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Congrats on the HW.  Nicely done.  Sorry I wasn't out there!
2008-07-15 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Way to rock the race, Britt, especially the bike You are having a stellar year!
2008-07-17 6:23 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Awesome race!

Learning just how hard you can push the bike without blowing up is the key to triathlon I think.

2008-07-19 10:46 AM

User image

Tyler,
nice job out there.
2008-07-19 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
You are awesome!

2008-07-20 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I know I'm a week late on the whole "read everyone's race report" deal, but better late than never   It was great to meet you!  Awesome job out there!

Oh, and PS - you're pretty freakin fast   20.79mph avg followed by a sub 8:00/mile run?  Nice.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed