Pirhana Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 3s
Overall Rank = 38/378
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:20...eventually got up and ate some breakfast(2 Ensure; chocolate PowerBar; sipped on Gatorade/water). Organized stuff, got dressed and packed the car up.
Got to the park at 6:00am and followed the cars in, parked and went to transition to begin getting organized. Put everything out and went to pick up our chips.
Event warmup:

Jogged out to roughly the mile 1 marker, got in little stretch and ran back with a couple faster paced intervals just to get the body ready - so I thought!
Got back and continued to stretch out throughout the morning...particularly my upper body for the swim. I wanted to make sure I wasn't stiff for the swim.
Swim
  • 22m 54s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well...I definitely didn't think I swam this well. Not sure exactly what I swam b/c they count the long run on the dock, up the stairs and back to transition in the swim time but even with all that I still have a better split than I've had in a race to date! I felt very good early on really concentrating on good, strong form! My perception was that I wasn't swimming all that great b/c of my inability to stay with and draft off of some of the fatser swimmers passing me. There were obviously some very talented swimmers and I can't be disappointed in my performance at all.

What would you do differently?:

I do think I struggle with sighting a lot and definitely need to begin incorporating that into my training regularly.
The other thing I think I need to focus on is maintaining my form throughout the ENTIRE swim. My stroke efficiency breaks down as I get fatigued and I begin "chopping water". I need to continue to up the volume quite a bit in my training as well as get back to incorporating kick and drill sets into the workout - there's a reason they're in there!!!

Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Pretty good transition considering my past experiences. I do wonder if I'd be faster with my shoes already clipped in rather than putting them on in transition.

Consider the shoe change
Bike
  • 1h 21m 55s
  • 27 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I definitely feel like I put together a decent effort on the bike. I did the best I could attempting to ride with some of the faster riders/bikes without killing myself. I battled with a lot of guys the first 23-24 miles but ended up fading the last couple miles. I still believe the bike makes a big difference ... there's a reason everyone has a carbon TRI bike...if it didn't help out a lot then why spend the money!!!

Not sure there's anything I could have done better ... maybe go a bit harder on the long straight-away before the monster hill but I didn't want to kill my legs before the climb!
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Once again, I think I've gotten a lot better with my transitions. Socks slow me down a bit but maybe I'll be alright barefoot with the new Saucony shoes...we'll see!
Run
  • 38m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again...I get off the bike and cannot for the life of me put together a solid run. It's definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be while I was running but it's definitely not what I expect from myself. I just can't get my body to respond off the bike the way I need to for a great run.

I think I do need to take the time to get fluids in me at the aid stations instead of running through and spilling the majority of it trying to drink it.
Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I did take more time to stretch. I drank water and my Recoverite drink!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

I enjoyed my Diamond in the Rough experience and will definitely consider it again next year. I always want to see if I can better my effort at a race which I have't been able to do yet!

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:54 | 1760 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 31/378
Performance: Good
Suit: NO WETSUIT!!!
Course: Clockwise swim that bgan swimming somewhat straight out to the first bouy.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:55 | 27 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/31
Wind: None
Course: Fantastic course with an amazing windy piece that was intense to say the least. Definitely a hilly course that had a monster hill around mile 21 or so. It also had some extremely sharp turns at high speeds that hekd your attention. I thought it gave us a little of everything which made it fun!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:30 | 05 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/31
Performance: Below average
Course: An out and back course that was definitely flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes