Musselman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 39m 44s
Overall Rank = 11/595
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/78
Pre-race routine:

Volunteered at the BT water stations on Saturday for the Mini-Mussel Sprint race and the ITU Pro Race. Being on my feet in the 90 degree sun with no hat and no sunscreen and not eating until 1:00 wasn't the best pre-race routine but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. What a great time.

I slept all right but was up a couple times to use the bathroom. (Imagine that!) I woke up at 4 am and had a "bowl" of oatmeal. I borrowed a spoon from the cafeteria the night before and didn't have a bowl so I heated up the oatmeal in a water bottle and put a lot more effort eating breakfast than I was planning to. I used the bathroom 2 more times before I left the dorm. Got down to the transition area around 5:30 and got set up, went to get body marked and my timing chip. Walked back to transition to check everything over once more and went for a short run.
Event warmup:

Went for a short run with Mike Grygus who was doing his first 1/2 IM. I was hoping I would "shake things up" some more but after about a mile or so we just headed back. I got my wetsuit to head down to the water and guess what...... I had to jog back to the bathroom. (Better now than 200 yds before the finish! :) ) Headed to the water and got in for a short warm-up. I got a great look from a woman when I stood up next to her after swimming and the water was below her knees. I was literally crossing my arms strait in front of my chest to not scrape the bottom.
Swim
  • 30m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I told a few people before the race. "The bigger the waves the bigger the advantage. ;) I loved this swim!! The water was thigh deep to start and watching the first wave go off I noticed about 1/2 of the people were walking the first few minutes. When the horn went off for our wave I started to dolphin and definitely left people behind. I started to swim when the water got to be about waste deep and I could see mussels on the rocks. The waves were big and it was tough to sight but I was holding a pretty good line by sighting off a hotel roof and knowing I had to be way to the right of that. There was a lot of seaweed floating around and I got a few nice pieces stuck on my goggles and had one that must have caught my strap because it was tickling my foot the whole swim. About 1/2 way into the 1st leg I hit a huge mass of seaweed floating. It mush have been 15' in diameter. I just kept swimming figuring that it can't go on for long and maybe it will freak the guy out who was drafting off me. Part way through the weeds I felt this slimy bump on my face and just saw the white belly of a large dead fish! Oh gross!!! I could actually smell the damn thing! I was out of the weeds shortly after that but God that was gross. I was breathing like I always do, every stroke to my left side. The waves were coming in from the left but managed to get through the leg without taking in any water. When I rounded the first buoy I had already passed some of the 1st wave and when I looked up to sight the buoy all I could see was pink caps. I decided to go a little wide to get out of the mass of bodies going in all different directions. When I finally did see the buoy I noticed a farm with 3 large fields on the mountain directly above the last buoy. PERFECT!!!! I swam a few extra yards by swimming to the outside but avoided a lot of people doing breaststroke just to sight the buoy. I had my own water out where I was and a great mark to sight so I set the cruise control and swam. I did take some water in on this leg from the waves filling up my little breathing pocket. When I rounded the buoy going to the 3rd leg I saw 1 pink cap in front of me. The waves were to my back on this leg and it was like surfing. I could feel a wave come behind me and I would swim hard to ride the wave then relax until the next one came. This leg went by very fast. I swam until I could see the sand bottom and then stood to jog a bit. I did a few dolphins, swam a bit, jogged a bit, a few more dolphins, jogged, walked, tried to swim then finally just walked and jogged until I got to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except avoid big dead fish!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 could have been faster. My wetsuit stuck on my ankles which cost a few seconds. Other than that things went pretty smooth, just not fast.

Practice transitions, especially getting into shoes on the bike. I wish my coach would have me work on this more. :)
Bike
  • 2h 29m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.53 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was nice. It may have been a little too conservative looking at my HR data but I was pleased with it. I started off with my NeverReach full, in hindsight I should have only filled it with 1 bottle and used the water stations to refill. I carried an extra 3 lbs up the hills into a headwind, blond moment! Anyway, it felt good to be on the bike and my legs felt great. The headwind going out was brutal. I passed one guy with a NeverReach and made a friendly comment as I went by. I got passed by Erik Grimm who ended up 2nd overall, he was moving!! I don't know who the next guy was that passed me but I was hanging a few hundred yards behind him until this tractor trailer went by and he shot out in the middle of the road to catch his draft. Obviously he didn't see the 2 cars that were behind the truck that had to swerve to miss him. I was still in shock that anyone would do that when I realized that the few hundred yards turned into at least a 1/2 mile. WOW!! Oh well, life is too short to be pulling stunts like that. The rest of the ride I was all alone. Except for Mike (mtimofeeff) that kept popping up with a camera. He was a riot and got some great shots of the race. I was keeping my HR in check. I actually wanted to be in the mid 150's for the race, I was there for the time I was in the headwinds but it dropped way down when I had a tailwind. The tailwind felt a lot like flying! I was cruising at 35 mph and my HR was in the 130's. In hindsight I probably should have pushed this a little more but I was comfortable. I was taking in a hit of gel every 20 minutes and constantly sipping from the NeverReach. Last year I ran out at 45 miles or so and I wanted to be better hydrated this year. This year I ran out before the 30 mile mark, I used the aid stations and refilled on the fly. I love the NeverReach!! Hydration was good, nutrition was good, everything was going well. I went by a few horse and buggies and waved to the kids in the windows and said hello as I went by. How many races come equipped with Mennonites? That was a treat! The ride along the west side of Cayuga Lake was slow! The wind coming off the lake was relentless and I saw 14 and 15 mph a few times. I had a good climb going over to Seneca Lake then downhill and through Sampson State Park. The road in the park was a bit rough but it really didn't slow me down much. I passed the lead swimmer out of the water going through this section, he didn't look so hot and was not very talkative. I had a tailwind home and took advantage of it. When I got to the last turn before transition I took my feet out of my shoes. Jumped off me bike at the dismount line taking care not to get my feet caught in the spokes. ;) Overall nutritionally I took in 1 cliff bar, about 96 oz of water, 20 oz of Gatorade and 6 gels.

Probably push a little harder. I was moving pretty good but my HR data shows I wasn't working hard enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

The flasks dumped out of my fuel belt and I decided to leave one gel flask behind. I had 6 gels loaded in the other flask and had 20 oz of Gatorade in 2 flasks. I took some time putting socks on getting my race belt on and hat on. Overall, for me, not bad.

Practice transitions. :)
Run
  • 1h 36m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt great coming off the bike. My back was a little tight but I knew that would loosen up. It was great to see my coach, Kevin (t3coach1), on my way out of T2. He looked pretty psyched and told me something about fast feet and steady pace. I heard steady pace and set the cruise control for 7:25. The volunteers and fans on the course were great! They were out there in the pouring rain with umbrellas turning inside out handing out water. I had to take a sponge from one of the kids, it cracked me up he was handing out sponges when everyone was soaked from head to toe. One boy had such a good sales pitch for Heed that I almost took some. YUK!! A few guys passed me and I congratulated them and low fived each one but there was no way I'm going to try to keep up with any runners. I made comments to all the volunteers and thanked them for being out there. I was having a blast. When I got to the 10 mile mark I looked back and didn't see anyone. I picked up the pace just a bit and kept checking every few minutes just to see if anyone was closing. At the 1 mile mark there was someone about a 1/4 mile behind me. It didn't look like he was running too fast but I picked it up anyhow. Each time I checked he was the same distance away and I cruised in the last 1/2 mile to the finish. I was surprised to see 4:39 on my watch. I PR'd the race on a day that the conditions were anything but ideal. It was great to see my son Matt coming into the final stretch. Kevin, my coach, and Marmadaddy with his kids were at the finish. I was psyched and extremely pleased with the race.

To actually enjoy a 1/2 IM and have as much fun as I did the whole day I can't say that I would do anything differently. Looking at my HR data I know I could have pushed a lot harder and been more competitive but then I may have tripped over the finish line and had a finish that you only see on TV! :)
Post race
Warm down:

ICE BATH!!!!!!!!!! OH YEA!!!!! Walked over to the ART therapists and hed them work me over a bit. Had some fruit and ice cream. I started to get cold and went back to the dorm to change.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing other than pushing myself a little harder. This race gave me a lot of confidence going into IMKY training.

Event comments:

This has got to be one of the best races in the country. Jeff Henderson does a phenomenal job at making this race the best. There are as many volunteers as participants and the variety of food at the aid stations is incredible. You would think you were at an Ironman event only better!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/78
Overall: 3/595
Performance: Good
AHR 160
Suit: Orca P-Flex Sleeveless
Course: 1.2 mi triangular course going CCW. High winds and waves coming from the left side on the first leg and right side on the second leg and pushing from behind on the final leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:29:10 | 56 miles | 22.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/78
Overall: 10/595
AHR 149
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This was a new course this year and I thought it was great! It was a single loop course that had great roads and on some of the roads the only traffic I saw was horse and buggy's. Aide stations every 10 or 12 miles. Headwinds heading south and tailwinds heading north.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:36:38 | 13.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/78
Overall: 8/595
AHR 155, Held pretty steady 7:25's until the last few miles and picked it up a bit.
Course: Nice course through Geneva and some outlying areas. Bongo players in 2 different spots on the course. 1 good size hill at mile 7 and the first and last 2 miles are bone flat at the top of the lake. This race it happened to be a monsoon out there!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-15 6:00 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2008-07-15 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1532061

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Exellent race and great finish. The main thing is that you had fun. I'm not near the level you are right now, but perhaps someday.

I like the idea of volunteering at the race site the day before. Gives you a better idea of what to expect.

Congrats on a great race!

2008-07-15 7:25 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Incredible job out there.  That was smoking fast! 
2008-07-15 7:44 PM

User image

Elmira, NY

Nice job my friend. I promise not to have to leave for the next one. I would have given just about anything to have seen you finish. You can read your mind in the photo of you before the swim... As you look over your competition your thinking... You guys don't even realize you don't have a chance. This wind plays to my advantage.

Next year I will be sure to "pop up" through the ENTIRE race. Maybe by then I will be able to take a decent picture. Oh and one last thing... lets not joke about tripping a few meters before the finish. I don't want to be the guy who shoots that picture. I'd rather be the guy who shoots the shot of you sprinting at near light speed to the port-a-potty as you exit the shoot after the finish...

2008-07-15 10:55 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
excellent bowel planning and a fantastic race.  I love waves too so am a bit sorry I missed this  one.  Oh well, next year!
2008-07-16 5:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Bob!  The weather was definitely a factor.  I never thought of sushi for a race !

It was good to spend some time with you and the rest of the BT gang on Saturday!  

2008-07-16 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
What's so bad about tripping at the finish line? It sure does make a good story

Awesome, awesome race. I am so glad I got to meet you. You are one of the nicest people, and also, incredibley fast. Thanks for being there for me in the AM Congrats on a superb race- I can't wait to see how you tear it up at IMKY!
2008-07-16 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You make us proud, Mr. Stocks. Both you and Matt.  Another excellent race, congratulations.

Thanks for all your help on Saturday, the fact that you're willing to do that the day before a half iron speaks volumes about you. 

On to B2B!

2008-07-16 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Dude, you are looking awesome this year!
2008-07-16 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Great job!   Does it take a lot time the hat on that bald head?  Just it me funny.  I was thinking about running in that rain.  Keep up the good work.

2008-07-16 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

that swim sounds heinous!! yuckkkk! but despite the dead things and seaweed, you still rocked it. and the entire rest of the race, as well. great job, bob, and I love that you were in high spirits and enjoying yourself the whole time. most guys as fast as you aren't that happy go lucky.

awesome!

2008-07-16 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Great job!!! I recall your race report from Keuka. =) Best of luck training for IMKY!
2008-07-16 4:01 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Great Job Bob!  Excellent race and an great RR!  The dead fish - ewwww!
2008-07-16 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Awesome.

'nuff said. 

2008-07-16 10:08 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

Bob, you are a hottie.

Edited by tbatt 2008-07-16 10:21 PM
2008-07-17 6:15 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Holy FAST, dude!  Wow!

Great job on a crappy weathe day!  I can see how bad it was from the pictures!

2008-07-17 11:13 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
like I told you...great run split...for a SWIMMER! 
2008-07-17 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Wow... impressive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed