General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 year layoff..How should I train? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-15 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: 1 year layoff..How should I train?
Hey all you BTers, it's been a while since I posted in the forum. I need your help. I am in a situation where I have just changed my duty location from CO to TN, and due to the move and job training I have to do this summer, I have no races scheduled. How should I workout until I figure out my race season for 2009? Let me give you a little background on my training.

First, the only consistent training I have done is running, and that took a huge hit from Feb-May, when I was getting my move together. I pretty much stopped training all together until the middle of May, when I finally was able to get my running going again. Then I screwed up and went too hard, too fast, and got shin splints. I have discovered it doesn't hurt too badly to run on the treadmill, so I'm stuck there for a while until my shins heal completely.

Second, I am just getting back into my swimming. I have been a couple times over the last week since I finally found a gym with a pool that I can swim in. However, I will be leaving for school in 2 weeks to Alabama, and I'll have to search for a pool to swim in for the month that I'm there.

Finally, I have not been riding my bike at all for quite a while. I am getting a new trainer, a quieter model than my current wind trainer, to take with me to Alabama so I can start again. This is really the hardest thing for me because there are not many bike lanes here in my area, and frankly, with my limited cycling experience, I am a little intimidated to ride around here and get run down by some lunatic. But I am ready to start riding again and work on building the skills I will need for next year.

Now, since I don't have races this year, and I would like to do a local HIM in Sep of 2009, I really want to take the opportunity to develop myself since I have the time.

But, my question is, how should I train? I have so much time and really want to get myself to a point where next season I am ready to press forward and have a great season.

Thanks for your advice

2008-07-16 4:18 AM
in reply to: #1532151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: 1 year layoff..How should I train?
Bump back to the top
2008-07-16 4:50 AM

User image

Master
When I started training again after an injury, I started with 40 minute workouts for running and biking. I'd bump it up 5 minutes after a couple of weeks when my body was ready for more. That kept going until the time and distance were what they needed to be for my sprint/oly goals. Through the winter, I stuck to my HR zones pretty faithfully, building base, although I did do some intervals and one-legged drills on the bike trainer. As racing season approached, harder pushes, tempo runs, etc. were added. Swimming was dictated by life's schedule and pool availability.

Check out the training plans here on the website and find one that fits your goals. You have a great opportunity to build for next season.
2008-07-16 7:22 AM

Expert
Southeast

I don't have a specific training plan suggestion to make, but I would strongly urge that whatever you do, listen extra carefully to your body.  It is easy, in this situation, to go out too fast, too hard, or too much at the start of your training, because you can so easily recall what you were once able to do.

This advice is just based on my own current experience.  I'm still coming back after a long serious of injuries/surgeries, and I'm sure that my training looks nothing like any plan, because I'm going largely by what seems at the moment to be possible or reasonable given how I feel and how the previous workout felt.  (I'm not completely 'planless', but how I feel trumps any plan.  The one time I stuck to the plan despite how I felt, it took me many weeks to recover...)

2008-07-16 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
where in AL do you live? There are some great roads in Auburn, where i am. good luck getting back in shape.
2008-07-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1533082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
I actually live in TN, but will be in AL for all of August in the Montgomery area.

2008-07-16 6:12 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Start building your volume gradually in each sport.  For running, especially, go for frequency over duration.  Build up to a schedule that you can generally repeat week after week--whatever the total time you have available allows.  Then do just that, i.e., repeat it week after week.  Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that (though you could certainly do blocks where you focus more on one sport and just maintain the others).  You'll be well prepared when it's time to 'start training'.
2008-07-16 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
Montgomery is pretty close to auburn. there should be some AWESOME roads down there to tear up. its fairly flat.

to answer your original question, I would say train the exact same way that you did before your layoff. Having had some experience with the same kinda thing, that would be my suggestion. obviously its not gonna be as fun, fast or long, but do things the same way that got you there in the first place.

**i wouldn't worry about training to hard or any of that nonsense. i went through a year of chemo and radiation, and when i was ready to start training again i asked my doctor how i should do it. his response? "whatever you feel like"**

my advice will be his advice: do whatever you feel like doing
2008-07-18 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
With my plan being a HIM next year, possibly in the May timeframe, obviously I will need to be able to accomplish at least those distances for the race, but how much further than race distances should I be able to cover comfortably before speed work really becomes something to improve on? Also, for HIM training, what types of monthly volumes should I be looking to attain in each sport? I have tons of time before I would have to actually start a "training plan", so I'm guessing I will be primarily in the Z1/Z2 training zones until I get closer to actual race time.

Any tidbits of advice are appreciated, thank you to those who have already replied!
2008-07-18 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
You should train hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 year layoff..How should I train? Rss Feed