General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to rejoin the club? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-16 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Trying to rejoin the club?

So... I'm a former clyde in my 3rd season of tris. When I started training I was around 230lbs and competed in my first season as a clyde. I decided before my 2nd season that I'd drop the weight and race in my AG. I've always been a pretty muscular guy, but had a nice spare tire. So I figured it would do me good to cut some fat, and just get to down to a good lean weight below 200.

Well, I'm in season 3 now and my weight is down to around 185. Great you say? Sure... I feel overall healthier, and my performance in all three sports has increased considerably. I'm doing fairly well in my AG, and I'm on track for my HIM in September.

Now... the vanity stuff kicks in. I was at the gym last night, and was going to do my once weekly workout (which sucks because I used to spend hours lifting). I had an old T-Shirt from my muscular days, and had a weird moment where I almost didn't recognize myself in the mirror. I looked really skinny... not the good skinny. I noticed my arms were really small, and I could see my shoulder bones. I haven't seen my shoulder bones since high school.

Anyways...  I got to thinking. Has all the muscle mass loss been worth it? My wife hates the fact that I lost my muscle mass, but understands it's part of the tri gig. So I started thinking, what if I focused on lifting again and moved back into the clyde club? Would I be able to take in enough good calories to put on a good 15lbs over the next few months?

Anyone having second thoughts about getting out of the clyde club? Anyone gone to the dark side and back? Just curious to see if I'm just crazy.

2008-07-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1534727

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Trying to rejoin the club?

I understand what you mean.  in addition to losing some of my gut, I have lost a significant amount of muscle in my upper body and arms.  My job occasionally requires me to move heavy objects about 100+ lbs and it is a lot harder than it used to be.   I will probably replace some of my training with at least 2 nights of core/upper body lifting.  I figure that the cycling will take care of the legs.

2008-07-17 2:37 PM

Oldsmar, FL
Jazon71 - 2008-07-16 3:59 PM

So... I'm a former clyde in my 3rd season of tris. When I started training I was around 230lbs and competed in my first season as a clyde. I decided before my 2nd season that I'd drop the weight and race in my AG. I've always been a pretty muscular guy, but had a nice spare tire. So I figured it would do me good to cut some fat, and just get to down to a good lean weight below 200.

Well, I'm in season 3 now and my weight is down to around 185. Great you say? Sure... I feel overall healthier, and my performance in all three sports has increased considerably. I'm doing fairly well in my AG, and I'm on track for my HIM in September.

Now... the vanity stuff kicks in. I was at the gym last night, and was going to do my once weekly workout (which sucks because I used to spend hours lifting). I had an old T-Shirt from my muscular days, and had a weird moment where I almost didn't recognize myself in the mirror. I looked really skinny... not the good skinny. I noticed my arms were really small, and I could see my shoulder bones. I haven't seen my shoulder bones since high school.

Anyways...  I got to thinking. Has all the muscle mass loss been worth it? My wife hates the fact that I lost my muscle mass, but understands it's part of the tri gig. So I started thinking, what if I focused on lifting again and moved back into the clyde club? Would I be able to take in enough good calories to put on a good 15lbs over the next few months?

Anyone having second thoughts about getting out of the clyde club? Anyone gone to the dark side and back? Just curious to see if I'm just crazy.

I'm relatively new and I started training to do sprint tri's next season [want to get that 5k down without any walking] .... I'm about 265 lb now on a 6 ft frame and the quicker I can get to 195 [pr wherever my body takes me] the better

if I get bit by the Tri-Bug then I will do whatever I can to make myself faster ... but I also don't want to look like I've got a couple strings hanging from my shirt either  Tongue out

I'm still lifting 2x per week ... and plan to maintain that because you do need SOME muscle

2008-07-17 7:55 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You know, you are NOT doing this for a living - it's for fun and fitness right?

So - if you want to gain some muscle weight to look better - go for it.  Yeah, you know you'll probably be slower (especially on the run) but it's really up to you what you want  your end result to be. 

2008-07-18 3:08 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I would chat with a nutritionist about the best way to go about this. I would avoid talking to your lifting buds, since they'll just tell you to mass up. I would think building slowly, slowly, slowly would work. Be sure to do a LOT of stretching/flexibility work - that'll be the key to remaining a competitive tri while carrying some good balanced bulk. You'll likely want to avoid the bulking supplements, but again, talk to someone who knows about fitness, not just muscle mass. You'll also want to make sure you are really focusing on long, smooth muscles and balancing out your groups just right - you likely aren't going to get the hypertrophied pop that you might have one had.
2008-07-18 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1538525

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
cadreamer - 2008-07-17 8:55 PM

You know, you are NOT doing this for a living - it's for fun and fitness right?

So - if you want to gain some muscle weight to "look better" - go for it.  Yeah, you know you'll probably be slower (especially on the run) but it's really up to you what you want  your end result to be. 

fixed it for ya

2008-07-18 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Thanks ya'll for your thoughts. It's definitely a delicate balance between good muscular gains and just adding fat back on. I think I'll just add more lifting into my training regiment and see where that gets me. It will be challenging as I ramp up for my HIM in September, but I'll give it a shot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to rejoin the club? Rss Feed