General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Antidepressants and weight management Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-17 10:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-31 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1536517

Attleboro Falls, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Antidepressants and weight management
I was on Lexapro for quite some time and gained weight on it despite regular workouts. When I eliminated it (I'm still on Wellbutrin) my metabolism really took off and my energy level increased.

I think that it's a matter of finding the right Rx that will alleviate the depressive symptoms but not slow down your metabolism. Every drug affects every person a little bit differently.

If you want to discuss further just PM me. Good luck!
2008-08-01 6:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Hey, search around, theres some good threads and info about this sort of topic on here. I raised a similar question back in January when I first went on antidepressants. Gist of it is that you have to work with your doc to find the right meds and dosage for you, both in terms of how they work on your brain--ie do you feel better--and how they work on your body. Back when I was first prescribed meds in February, I was given an option by my doc of Lexapro or Prozac. Having heard stories of weight gain on Lexapro, I opted for the prozac. At the time, though I was pretty big--190 lbs and one of the ways I was dealing with depression was by eating.

The prozac kicked in and I started feeling better upstairs, which led to less comfort munching, more focus and training, which has ultimately led to close to 30 lbs weight loss. Recently, the doc added wellbutrin to the mix to help boost the effects of the prozac. Its only been about 1.5 weeks. Dont know how its working yet.

Bottom line is work with your doc. But keep in mind that the point of the antidepressants is to deal with the depression. That must be the key indicator. Fat and Happy is way betterr than Skinny and depressed. If the lexapro is working on your mind, who cares about the weight?
2008-08-01 8:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-01 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1575523

Extreme Veteran
I cant comment directly on OCD, since that is not what I am being treated for. However, my doc did say in passing that prozac and its generic fluoxetine is also used to treat OCD. Something about dosages--X mg will help depression, Y mg will help depression and OCD. If you arent happy with the Lexapro, maybe this is something you can ask your doc too.

I dont know if they are an even swap or what. Check out the depression thread in the health section, I think theres a few posts there regarding depression and OCD together.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Antidepressants and weight management Rss Feed