General Discussion Race Reports! » U.S. Transplant Games 5K Time Trial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

U.S. Transplant Games 5K Time Trial - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
United States
National Kidney Foundation
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 10m 24s
Overall Rank = 17/65
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Checked the mechanics of the bike and got checked in and bike inspected.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the venue early and rode the course at a lessser pace with a teammate. Found out that it was fairly hilly, but not oo tough. Rode the first time around in 11:51
Bike
  • 10m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I went after the first hill too hard and felt heavy legged at the top of it. I shouldn't have attacked so hard and made up the speed at the top and on the descent. Otherwise, I couldn't have rode this better technically. At the top of the second hill I shifted into my big ring and threw the chain over. I started to slow to get off and fix it, but I realized that if I did that, I would never finish well. Instead, I reached down, put as much chain on the ring as I could and started to slowly pedal. The chain caught and climbed back onto the ring and I took off. I was 45 seconds behind the guy that won the gold and I think I might have caught him if I hadn't thrown the chain, but it is what it is.
As I was coming to the finish line, I was flying. I had just rounded the last corner and was headed towards the line in aero with my eyes focused just ahead. I see and older gentleman on a bike going quite slow and it is obvious that I am going to pass him before the finish. I look up and there is a race official there and he is pointng towards the right side of the road - looking right at me. I could barely make the veer and almost hit a temp fence. I could hear the crowd so "Whoa". After I get back in control, I see that I am not going to cross the finish line or the timing mat. I get past and turn around when I can and I come back to the line and find the race director. He says that my time won't count because the timing mat is the official stopping mechanism and I did not cross it. The volunteer says that he was not telling me to go right, but the old guy on the bike. Since you could not see the finish line, how would you know!!! I started to get pissed and a bunch of the people that saw it started to jump the race directors a$$, so then my Team Manager got there and made me go away and wwhen he came back he said that the volunteer had realized what he had done and looked at the time when I crossed the line.
What would you do differently?:

My bike has an issue with the front derailler that I can't get right. There is a less than a quarter of a turn window to have the chain work correctly and it is causing problems. Taking it to the LBS and getting it fixed as I am not getting where I need to be by adjusting myself.
Not go at the hill in such an aggressive gear at the front of the race. I should have been spinning a higher cadence so that I had some leg as I crested the hill. Probably cost me 4 to 5 seconds, maybe a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Roe for about another K with a couple of the guys from my age group and talked about stuff. Came back and got some powerade and a chocolate milk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've gotta get that chain fixed and I have to realize the benefit of spinning vs. mashing.

Last updated: 2008-03-13 12:00 AM
Biking
00:10:24 | 03.11 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 17/65
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 5K loop that had a decent hill (4.5% Grade) at the beginning, another around the 2nd K and then another longer but easier climb at about 4K. Nothing killer. What was supposed to be a closed course was closed to autos, but there were a lot of walkers, runners and rec bikers on the course that you had to avoid.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-17 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: U.S. Transplant Games 5K Time Trial

2008-07-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1536606

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: U.S. Transplant Games 5K Time Trial
So a bronze medal! Great job, you have come so far.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » U.S. Transplant Games 5K Time Trial Rss Feed