General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-18 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Subject: Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast

Here is how I was able to shatter my previous fastest swim. Now I don't recommend anyone doing this drill and I will not be doing it again...ever... promise honey.

Here is how it is done:

• Take one adorable 14 month old, see below.
  • Set said 14 month old at one end of pool about 10 feet from the edge.
  • Go to other end of the pool for an item while looking at child to make sure she isn't getting closer to edge of pool
  • Turn head for "just a second" to check the liner of pool
  • Hear splash
  • Swim to fallen 14 month old at z5+
  • pull child out of water and thank your God that she is breathing.

Tips on drill. Only do this drill while significant other is not home.

Only do this drill once.

Ok, now please proceed to crucify me as a dad. I deserve it.

2008-07-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1540023

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast
O M G... glad she's ok..... no negativity here dude.... you've already been thru enuf I'd say.
2008-07-18 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
my heart dropped.  Glad she is ok!
2008-07-18 11:39 AM

Pro

And how much do you hate yourself afterwards?

This week I took my eye off my 16 month-old "for just a second", but it was long enough for her to climb a few stairs then tumble down. Luckily the stairs have a good soft runner. She was startled, but fine. We still took her to the hospital to get checked out just in case, though.

2008-07-18 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I think every parent has moments like that - those "I just looked away for a moment!" times when the toddler a) grabs the cord of your hot curling iron and burns her hand (a.k.a. my daughter) or b) topples down the stairs of the back deck and hits her head on the concrete patio (also my daughter) or c) climbs on top of my desk like it's nothing (a.k.a. my son).  It happens to all of us - I think toddlers come with some sort of innate "self-destruct" wiring and you spend several months just trying to keep them from killing themselves. Be thankful that everything is okay in the end, and spend the next three days getting your heart rate down.....

2008-07-18 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Glad it turned out ok.

We all have one of these. Mine was with the changing table and our youngest. She was maybe 8 months old. I put put on, but didn't tighten the seat belt contraption (yes it was necessary. This was 6 years ago and she still hasn't stopped moving). I then turned for "just a second" to grab a diaper from the stack in the basket on the other side of the room. I then heard her yell and when I turned around she was dangling by her left foot which had caught in the restraining belt. Her head was about 16 inches above the floor.

I never did tell my wife. Wonder if she'll read this thread....

2008-07-18 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Glad the chitlin' is just fine. As others have said, most parents have this moment. Mine goes something like this:

I own an old pick-up truck and a hilly driveway.

My boy liked to pretend to drive the truck.

Left boy in truck in driveway (for just a second).

Truck has old-style "pull handle" parking brake and manual transmission.

Dad set the brake, but truck was in neutral.

Boy figures out how to release parking brake

Dad turns around too late to affect what was to follow....

Truck rolls down driveway toward the culvert.

Truck jumps the retaining wall at the side of driveway that spans the culvert.

Truck bounces up the other side of the culvert, just missing the mailbox and comes to rest in the middle of the street.

Dad runs to truck, opens door, sees no boy on seat where Dad left him. Dad finds boy on floor on passenger side, dazed, surprised, but unhurt.

Dad gets in, get's truck back in driveway, boy out, parking brake set, and block of wood wedged under the front tire.

Dad takes boy in house, hoping to heck that no one saw this.

Wife comes home later and says, "so, you got something to tell me????!!!"

Dad confesses (and good move, 'cuz one of the neighbors DID see and reported same back to wife).

2008-07-18 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

OMG...glad to hear child is ok!  Have had these moments from the other perspective...I was the self destructive toddler...by the time I was 4 I had been to the emergency room several times and stiches on both the front and back of my head.  I got the rep as an accident prone child.  Coffee tables not my friend...both "stitches" situations were caused by rounded corners on coffee tables...I pulled TV's off of shelves...toppled off of tables, chairs, counter tops...

My nephew once found a razor in a bathroom drawer at my mothers (his grandmothers)and put it in his mouth...I caught it before he bit down to hard...he did break the skin a little...but nothing bad...and it was a new razor so no biggy...

2008-07-18 1:00 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

1. Place child in jogging stroller.

2. Set brake on jogging stroller.

3. Turn around and lock front door.

4. Turn back to stroller as the front wheel goes off the first of an eight step front stairway.

I caught the stroller in time, but made sure to properly adjust that e-brake, as well as never trust it again.

2008-07-18 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-prplay...

Click the link and scroll down. This is from a message board that my wife frequents, so it's not our kids. I love the text saying that they, "busted out of the fence."

Edited by nxm165 2008-07-18 1:08 PM
2008-07-18 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Yeah, I did that drill once.  My son was around 1.5 and I was playing water volleyball with friends in an above ground pool while mommy watch the kid.  They went up the stairs , hit the deck and he took off.  Got to the edge of the pool and I hear "Wheeeee" as he jumps straight in and sinks like a rock.  I had not started training for tri's yet so could not really swim well but I learned in a hurry.  Luckily a friend reached in and pulled him out while he laughed.  As soon as she put him down he jumped in again but I caught him that time.

2008-07-18 2:17 PM

User image

Elite
I was cooking and my daughter grabbed a knife, cut her finger bad enough for two stitches. 1.8 yrs old. Turns 2 shortly. There was blood everywhere.
2008-07-18 2:28 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Just glad to hear she is ok. Nice PR on the swim by the way.
2008-07-18 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
You're all horrible parents....you should be ashamed of yourselves.....

Let's see.....

-left my daughter in the truck and came in the house. Wife comes home 10 minutes later to 'see her baby' and asks if I forgot to pick her up from daycare. Went back out to get her....she was 3 months old and was asleep.

-at the grocery store unloading groceries into the truck. reached down...grabbed the case of water on the bottom and put it in the bed.....turned around and the cart had rolled about 8 feet into the middle of the row......car stopped.....woman just shaking her head

-last month.....same grocery store.....started truck and put daughter in front seat to unload groceries (because I learned last time right) and she locks the door. Luckily she's two and could unlock them.

-daddy and daughter thought it would be fun to go to the park. daughter wants to go up the slide. daddy says no and goes back to reading recent issue of triathelte magazine. other kid barrells down the slide taking out her feet. Got to explain the bruise on forehead to mommy.
2008-07-18 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Glad she's ok.

Had a similar experience last weekend. In a friends pool with my 3 year old and a few other kids/adults. This guy has a bit more money than he knows what to do with so he has this kind of 3 or 4 step up waterfall thing at the end of the pool. My daughter decides to get out of the pool and sit on the top step with feet dangling in the pool. At some point Dad (namely Me) decides to lose a bit of interest in his daughter's whereabouts. Next thing I see/hear is something hitting the water. Turn around and there's my daughter bobbing back to the top of the water with a look of utter shock on her face. The good news is she started laughing which only means I'm really going to be in trouble I think as the years go by.
2008-07-18 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Yikes man! That's very scary stuff.  I have a 14mo old daughter too.  My stomach churned and I got nauseous today when she fell on the pool deck.  But don't worry, she caught herself... with her face.  Poor little babe has a scraped up chin/lip/nose. 

Good thing toddlers are tough and have short memories!

~B

2008-07-18 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
How this for stupid mom of all time.
6 month old son in one of those rolling walkers( (he's 18 now, back then we liked to put our kids in dangerous things) Mom begins to prepare dinner, hears a rustling sound from around the corner. Goes to investigate only to find said 6 month old at the top of the basement stairs. Guess mom had neglected to make sure the door was closed.
Oh, the rustling noise. What prevented my son from going down the stairs in his walker was that he stopped to play with some plastic bags that were hanging from the door handle. How ironic.
My stomach still drops when I think of this.
2008-07-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1541083

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I am all for hearing good endings.  My son is 18months and I have been blessed to not have a heart stopping experience yet.  Oh wait;  son could not crawl yet and I laid him on the bed to go to the bathroom.  Heard a splat and found him on the floor.  Seems his wiggly was faster than I thought.  Did not tell wife, until she told me he feel off the bed under her watch.  we both laughed and thanked God.

2008-07-18 8:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FutureIronGirl17 2008-07-18 8:08 PM
2008-07-18 11:53 PM

The Natti
As a grad of tOSU I thought you would be smarter than that. Thank god she is OK. Give her a big hug for me. I have two little girls myself.

Go Bucks. O- H!

Michael
tOSU '86

Edited by infinIT 1 2008-07-18 11:55 PM
2008-07-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1541602

Master
Dothan, Al

I am so glad that she is okay. As a Paramedic, the call that continues to rip my heart out is the child drowning calls we respond to each year. Usually averages 1 to 2 a year. I have had to leave duty and go pick my son up at day care, and just hold him, after going on calls like that.

Now my "bad parent story." I was sitting in the den ( scanning BT threads) while my son was in the dinning room / breakfast nook of the house. I hear a scraping noise on the hard wood floor. I go to investigate and find him sitting there scraping a steak knife back and forth across the floor. Knowing that if I ran towards him he would get up and run with the knife, i nonshallantly (SP?) acted as if I was walking past him, leaned down and snatched the knife away. Boy was he mad!!! ( but uncut).  I had no idea he could open the silverware droor, much less reach in and pull someting out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast Rss Feed