Runner's Choice
29C / 84F
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 41s
Overall Rank = 45/432
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

This was my first night race so it was a little diferent then all other race prep. I just ate about 3hours before and stayed hydrated. Did some stretching a couple hours to go. Then drove downtown,parked and met up with some friends that were running about 45 mins before race start.
Event warmup:

Even though the race started at 7:10pm it was sill very warm and humid, so I just went for a light jog of about 2-3km's with some strides at the end. Found my friends again, hung out, stretched then 15 mins. before start went for 2 longer strides.
Run
  • 19m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Damn it was hot! and humid! I was dripping sweat just after my short warm up run. I started pretty close to the front and was planning on going out a little fast the frist km since it's mostly downhill, then gladly slowed down a tad. It was pretty difficult to breathe once we got down to the park since it was so humid, but I just kept reeling people in and slowly passing them. There was a water station giving out ice cold soaked sponges and that saved me I think. I kept looking at my garmin and my pace was normally pretty close to my goal pace to go sub 20, So I knew it would be close sinc the last km was mostly uphill. I ran with an old neighbour for a bit (I've never beat him in a race prior) then gave her all I had to the finish. I was so happy to see the clock at about 19:15 as I turned onto the final stretch and finished in 19:41!! I got my sub-20!!!
What would you do differently?:

I;m not sure I coulda done much better given the heat and humidity, my legs felt great it was my lungs that were on fire. I guess I could have done a bit more speedwork.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and tried to cooldown, got some sportdrink,watermelon and orange juice, walked around some more waiting for my buddys to finish. Then we went to the Barking frog and got our free beer and sausage or burger. Some guy didn't want his beer so he gave it to me, I'm not gonna turn down a icy cold beer after that hot run.

Stood around and watched the awards and prize draws with Albert, and was suprised to be called up for 2nd in my AG and won a nice Brooks beach towel (good thing I use Brooks shoes).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat and humidity

Event comments:

Once again Runners Choice puts on an amazing race. So well organized, Great post race food and drinks (FREE BEER!!). Lots of draw prizes and even gave away 2 brand new pairs of shoes!

Last updated: 2008-06-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:41 | 05 kms | 03m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 14/432
Performance: Good
Splits 1k-3:46 2k-4:02 3k-4:02 4k-4:00 5k-3:49
Course: Course saarted on a downtown side street beside the barking frog, then went down some side streets to the multi-use path in the park, turn around and same route back. It was pretty much all down hill for the first km, and obviously all uphill the last km. The rest was rolling.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes