Dallas Athletes
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 54s
Overall Rank = 5/106
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

I realized only the night before how early I would have to get up for this race. Thomas and I would need to be on the road by 4:45 for an estimated arrival time of 6am. Yikes.

We packed up, and I realized that my pedals were still off my racing bike from the shipment from CA. Awesome. That right there made both Thomas and I laugh at how little I've ridden lately. I had a "why am I doing this race?" moment, and then we were on our way.

Event warmup:

I got all checked in and racked, and I went for a slow jog. My legs were pretty stiff from a tempo run with my DRC group the day before. Definitely not a great idea to run a 4.5 mile tempo run (7:30 pace) the day before a race. Oh well.

I walked around a little bit and ran into Gary, who introduced me to Brittany and Bonny. We chatted a bit, and I learned that Bonny wasn't even sure if she was racing yet - I can totally relate to that pre-race mentality at virtually every race :) Then I headed to the lake to see if I could splash around enough to make up for 3 weeks of no swim workouts. Eh, whatever.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 457 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first beach start, and I'm not sure I'm too fond of them. While sprinting into the water, I twisted my ankle something nasty. It really hurt. I tried to roll it around as I was swimming, but honestly, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to run. I figured I'd just see how it was when I got out, and we'd go from there. Luckily, the pain went away and it wasn't an issue at swim exit, bike, or run. Yay.

All things considered (ie, the horrid lack of swim workouts lately), this wasn't at all as bad as I thought it could have been. I still hate that I didn't come out of the water first, but I did a great job drafting off the chick who got 3rd place - she pulled me the whole way in until the last 100m, when I took off and beat her to T1. That's how I roll.
What would you do differently?:

Um, practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Nothing special here. I tried to hustle through T1 and get my feet sprayed in passing, but I plowed into a guy from a previous wave who decided he'd stop for the sprayers without much warning. Sorry bout that.

Other than that, I'm just not too speedy in the transitions. But I think this one was a decent effort, so I give it a B+

Hurry more.
Bike
  • 52m 9s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't think I have any room to complain here. I think I'm lucky to have gone as fast as I did considering my sorry training lately. I'm sure that the strength I've gained from running was really my saving grace on the bike. It always just comes down to that crappy feeling of "wow, I didn't do too bad... I wonder how awesome I could do if I actually trained?!"

I got kind of excited on the ride, because I counted the women I saw, and I was pretty sure I was in the top 4. I started getting thoughts of an overall top 3, and that got me going.

Unfortunately, the bike is what lost me the AG title. Appropriately so, I figure... it's not like I train enough or anything.

Again, practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Heck yeah - fastest T2 in the 25-29AG! (and FWIW, a whopping 1 second faster than the female overall winner!) AND I don't even do that flying dismount thingy. Boy, I wish I could because it looks cool.

Flying dismount/go faster
Run
  • 23m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know where this run came from. Coming out of T2, I was right behind a girl who looked like she could be my age (age had rubbed off on her calf), and at first, my plan was to just hang back right behind her and "pounce" at the right moment. Then I realized that I had more in the tank, so I made my move and flew past her. I saw another woman up ahead (older) around mile 1, and I made it my goal to pass her, too. So I did, and I was flying past people. No one passed me on the run, which is always nice.

I tried to keep count of how many women I saw to figure out if I was/could be in the top 3. I could have sworn that I only saw 3 women ahead of me. It's an out-and-back course, so you'd get to see the whole field - with the exception of a small little mini out-and-back jog off the main drag. I think that's what got me. Oh well, it was nice to think it was possible.

Run even faster!
Post race
Warm down:

I went for a warmdown swim to loosen up my legs and relax.

Also, this was my first race opting for the post-race massage. Loved it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 457 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 2/106
Performance: Good
Suit: Aquaphor team uniform
Course: Triangle-ish out and back in Lake Ray Roberts.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:09 | 17.6 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 13/106
watch broken
Wind: None
Course: Out and back on rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:17 | 03.1 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 10/106
watch broken
Course: Out and back trail run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2008-07-20 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1542992

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon

Wooo WOoooo!!! a race report !!! finally!!!

you crack me up woman!!!!   I'm going to start telling everyone post race that they got their butt handed to them by someone that doesn't train.  I'm just in awe of how fast you go with so little training.. then again, maybe thats the secret,, being well rested,, the 4-5 week taper plan

Great seeing you out there as always,, hope work starts to give you a break 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed