Xterra
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 43m 25s
Overall Rank = 34/42
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

We went up the day before in order to pre-ride. We stayed in a huge cabin. So that morning, we woke up, ate a breakfast of toasted bagel, creamcheese, watermelon, and lots of coffee. Then started to set-up. Thank goodness for my kids. I forgot my sneakers, and sent them back to cabin to get them. Forgot my gatorade, sent kids back to fill up waterbottle.
Event warmup:

Did a little swimming - dealing with leaky goggles.
Swim
  • 32m 10s
  • 1440 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, last year it was advertised as .8 mile but was only .8k, so I assumed it would be the same this year. No way, this was .8 mile at least. It was one long swim! But it may have been my best swim ever - my goggles didn't leak, and I could see people the whole way. I actually got to follow bubbles! I felt very relaxed the whole swim. Wow for me.

Oh, and due to the water temp, they did not allow wetsuits. Fine by me, but you should have heard the whining that went on! I think flotation aids (wetsuits) are sort of joke anyhow.
What would you do differently?:

Stay away from crooked swimmer guy. I was passing him and then he would turn into me. So I would have to turn. After about 3 times of that, I stopped and switched to his other side. Same thing! Unfortunately we were about the same speed. I went very wide of him and things were hunky dory for a while. But towards the end I was next to him again and he kept swerving into me. I know I was swimming straight so it was him! I chatted with him later, and he admitted he cannot swim straight.
Transition 1
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

This race doesn't time transitions. I did remember to click my watch for this transition. I took the time to put on a head sweatband, and I think that was a good decision. Often I get sweat in the eyes which makes it difficult to see. No problem with that this time.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 7.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no competition in this race, so I didn't push as hard this year. The course was wet - it rained the whole second lap, so the roots were treacherous. I ran most of the first technical section. And I walked up part of the hill. I know I passed one woman on the bike portion and 2 men. But the woman must have been part of relay team, since overall I was the last woman. I wasn't as wiped out at the end of the bike leg like I was last year - I didn't push as hard and it wasn't as hot as last year.

Better hill climber - I think I could have made up more time there.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 34m 22s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good. I wasn't pushing especially hard. I don't think this course was a full 4 miles 'tho others felt it was. I have never been this fast on a trail run before.

Last year, the water stations were dry by the time I got there, so this year, I carried a little gel flask filled with 8 oz. of water. It kept falling off my belt until I left it with a race volunteer, and the water stations had plenty of water, and it was raining. So I didn't need the extra water this year.
Post race
Warm down:

The kids were right there at the finish and wanting me. No time for Mom to rest.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weight

Event comments:

They ran a kids triathlon afterwards. It was much longer than last year and more and older kids participated. My 9-year old son won! He was 4th out of the water and passed 2 running up the hill to the transition area. He pass an older boy on the uphill portion of the bike ride, but lost him on the downhill. On the run, I saw him walking up a hill so I thought he was pooping out. They went behind a building and when they popped out the otherside, he was in first. He had a strong fast run to the finish.

Daughter was 3rd out of the water, and was neck and neck with an older girl through the bike portion. But the older girl dropped her on the run. She finished 4th overall and was the 2nd girl.

So proud of them!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:10 | 1440 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 37/42
Performance: Good
HE avg = 132
Suit:
Course: triangular, clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:36:53 | 12 miles | 7.43 mile/hr
Overall: 34/42
hr avg 145 with some high peaks in the 160's. I forgot to hit lap button after first lap, so I don't know if sped up or slowed down on the second lap. I think they put both transition times into the biking segment. My watch had me about 1:33 for the biking segment. Oh well.
Wind: None
Course: technical first mile, lung-busting uphill second mile. The rest was less technical 'tho it had its moments. I was advertised as 12 miles, others report it was closer to 10.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:22 | 04 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 34/42
HR avg = 147 with some mighty high peaks.
Course: Nice trails but due to the rain, they were quite wet and slick. Just the right amount of mud holes, rock walls, twists and turns. Nice nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Thompson Lake XTERRA

2008-07-21 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1543571

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Thompson Lake XTERRA
Hey nice job racing in the rain and congrats to your son!
2008-07-21 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Great race report! Crooked swimmer guy was kind of funny... Looks like you got some hardware as well!  That is so cool that your kids are racing and doing great!
2008-07-22 8:52 AM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA

Off road tri's are fun sounds like you had a good race!

Great kid pics!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thompson Lake XTERRA Rss Feed