Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
20 in 24
Total Time = 2h 11m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was at the race site 6 hours early, since I didn't want to be driving around finding parking after dark. I found a place to sit on the grass and watched as the Lone Rangers (people who were doing the entire 24 hours by themselves) and relay teams finished their laps. My race was one 8.4 mile lap at midnight, but the event started at 10:00 am.
Event warmup:

None. Just tried to make sure I was hydrated as it was a very hot day and a very humid night.
Run
  • 2h 11m
  • 8.4 miles
  • 15m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to finish in under 2 hours. I started out with a slow jog, hoping to keep that pace the entire race. I had to pee less than a mile into the race; I guess I hydrated a bit too much ahead of time. Felt much better after making the bit stop and was able to pass a few people. Heat and humidity really slowed me down. The water stops were every 2 miles, but I needed them more frequently.
What would you do differently?:

Practice running more in hot weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car. I wanted to get out of there fast, since I was extremely tired and had to drive a little over 1/2 an hour home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. I always have problems in the heat and really need to focus more on running in the heat.

Event comments:

This was a fun race and I will definitely do it again next year. I wish there had been more water stops. There was a water stop every 2 miles, but with the heat, I really needed more frequent stops. While I was nervous about running in Philadelphia in the dark, I only had a few brief moments when I felt uncomfortable, but the feeling quickly passed as I would see an ultramarathoner running in the opposite direction.

Last updated: 2008-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:00 | 08.4 miles | 15m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was fairly flat with some short inclines and declines. Course wound around the Schuylkill River.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes