Korff Enterprises
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 102/161
Pre-race routine:

woke up -but really didn't sleep much. Showered, dressed, packed and changed. Ate toast coffee and some craisins and got on the subway at 4AM. There are some very intersting people on the subway at that hour, by the way -
Event warmup:

Laid out all my stuff and hit the porta pottie, walked 1 mile to swim start.
Swim
  • 24h 13m
  • 1640 yards
  • 1h 28m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

MORE OWS practice! (I said this last year and didn't do it, so I'm not sure why i thought I'd have a different result.)
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

Couldn't believe this was so long, I was changing shoes (toe clips) but it sure didn't feel like 8 minutes, but I guess the 1/4 mile run to transition really adds up.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 40m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.90 mile/hr

On the last portion of the race coming into transition I got behind a very slow girl and they don't let you pass on this stretch of road. I should have pushed past her at the turnout off the hwy. but was trying to save my legs -she was creeping along so slow, probably could ave saved a few minutes had I managed to get in front of her -
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Not to much to report here till I start riding w/ bike shoes and cliless pedals -this is easy, off the bike and go

nothing
Run
  • 1h 02m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I realized last year I did alot of small races in Central Park throughout the season, since I was hurt late in the season, I thoght I was overtraining, so this year I decided to cut out the extra NYRR races and just focus on the tri's. this was not a good decision, the park felt tough, much more than last year. I had to walk a few times and that never happened last year. by not doing the races much of my running was done indoors or on flat east river side roads. My hill work sucked! I need to work on that before October

More CP races and outdoor hills
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around w/ the family and went to the massage booth this year -that was great. kept re-counting my jelly fish story -lots of people were stung -some girl had to be taken away in an ambulance she was stung so many times

What limited your ability to perform faster:

jelly fish, heat, humidity, lack of training in outdoor environment

Event comments:

I really do love this race -it was my first tri last year and i think I will alwyas come back every year. I was hoping for sub 3:00 today, but it was not meant to be, I am really disappointed, but it's my own fault - I trained for this like my B race and the results show this. I am a little worried I may not be prepared for my HIM in October. I think I'll need to get some advice about my training schedule between now and then -I was hoping a good outcome here would give me confidence going into Oct., unfortunately it has shaken my confidence a bit. I'm being a little hard on myself, considering the circumstances I did OK, but I'll be back next year and as long as it takes to get that sub 3:00 time.

Last updated: 2007-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
24:13:00 | 1640 yards | 1h 28m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/161
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes -long sleeve
Course: Not what I had hoped for -while my stroked improved (in the pool) my swim time pretty much stayed the same. Had same"panic" moment about 5-10 minutes in and had to roll on my back to catch my breath. Then came the unexpected jelly fish attack on my face, mouth, jaw and neck (my first time ever stung by one NOT PLEASANT!)My sighting seemed better but still needs work =alot of work!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:40:04 | 24.85 miles | 14.90 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I felt so strong on this course today -it felt like the best part of my race -I was sure I beat last years time when i was on the bike, powered up hills, wasn't scared to go fast downhill, hit 32 mph on some of the hills, but somehow came in 4 minutes longer than last year
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:02 | 06.21 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Was better prepared out of transition this year with drink in hand. felt comfortable up 72nd into the park. Things were looking good until mile 2 -then the stomach cramps started coming on.Never had a problem with this before but I'm sure the heat and humidity had alot to do with it. Someone told me to get salt tablets the day before the race and I blew it off. Bad move
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2008-07-20 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1543798

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
I'm sorry it wasn't the race you wanted it to be, Michelle but still, you overcame a lot to day and kept pushing through despite a panic attack, jellyfish encounter and some problems on the run.  Sounds like you have already thought about new training goals so it seems to me you earned some extra triathlete stripes today for continuing to move forward, adapting to what you needed to and learning from the experience.  You go girl!
2008-07-20 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
So what was scarier, the subway at 4am or seeing the jellyfish right in front of you during the swim?

Great race report. This is a race I've contemplated for a while, and I'm jealous that you got to do it.

And don't worry about the 1/2 in the fall. From what I see here, you're tough enough to do the longer distance!
2008-07-20 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
See, I feel that you don't get the "full" NYC Tri experience unless you take the subway there. I, too, was on the #2 train at 3:30. And all I can say is....yikes.

Great job today. This was a tough race, and you handled it like a champ.
2008-07-20 10:42 PM

User image

Colorado

Ooooh, I swear I see jellyfish in the Boulder Reservoir...never actually got stung, just get panic attacks

You're a stronger person for sticking it out and after all that you got a nice run time! 

And aren't the massages wonderful...even for a few minutes, just being right after the race seems to help alot!

May you sleep well tonight!

2008-07-21 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

subway in the wee hours, the HUDSON with jellyfish - kudos to you for doing it!!!

I cannot imagine jumping in the hudson -

we had jellyfish last week at sobe mossman - OUCH.

keep it up - it was hot and humid and that affects time - so don't beat yourself up. you have plenty of time until october.... 

2008-07-21 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Gee,
Im glad I deferred due to an injury.
Nothing like ultra warm weather and jellyfish.
Overall I think it builds character, It will make you a tougher competitor, go for the HIM.
I think you will be suprised in your ability!

After I ran the Chicago Marathon last year in record heat, I realized that if I could finish that race, I could achieve anything!!!
2008-07-21 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Nice race.  Weren't those jellyfish fun? 

2008-07-21 12:12 PM

User image

N Y C
NYC is really alive after hours (when I am usually asleep). Great job!
I think I will have a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich for lunch.
2008-07-21 12:19 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great race Michelle! It was less than ideal conditions for sure. I'm so glad we got to meet at bike drop, I just wish I could have seen you on race day! Transition was a total zoo though. Hope to see you again soon!
2008-07-21 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
MA

Crazy what New Yorkers have to go through to complete a tri!  Congrats on great race- don't worry about the time differential from last year given the different conditions.  You are going to ROCK your HIM- now get out there and do some more Central Park races (you might even have company for a race or two!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed