General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up 3:15. Ate 1/2 english muffin, nat. pb, banana. Picked up packet, set up transition. Went through my checklist. Still forgot my Garmin. duh.

Event warmup:

Some stretching and a little swimming.
Swim
  • 23m 12s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim start was kind of cool. Everyone lined up by race number and every 3-5 seconds, someone ran in the water and started swimming. Beautiful and clear lake. Traffic stayed fairly light even though the Olympic swimmers started first and were starting another lap while I was swimming. I didn't have any problem with panic or breathing, but I did have some trouble sighting and I swam more of a zig zag than a straight line.
What would you do differently?:

Practice-practice-practice!
Drills-form-endurance-OWS - practice it all more!
Transition 1
  • 05m 58s
Comments:

Long run from lake to T1 - So long that the split the transition into Run time (2:04) and T1 time (3:54) Took my time in T1. Sat down, made sure my feet were nice and dry and got my stuff together. Much better organized than last race. Disappointed in my time - I was really lots slower here than I expected to be. Really need to focus on this next race.

Move my butt!
Bike
  • 53m 38s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike for me. When I finished the first loop, I knew I was going to be able to PR this bike course. Last race was a PR for me at 16mph. I was at 16.5 for the first loop and ended up over 17. No question I went too hard on the bike and didn't have enough left for the run. I passed a couple people early on and several more on the other laps. Since the Olympic riders had 5 laps, I got passed quite a bit also, but we won't talk about that.... I passed a few myself! ;)

I tried to drink as much as I could, but I'm just about sick of Gatorade and I couldn't stomach more than ~10 oz. Only drank ~6 oz water. The funny thing is that I thought about taking a gel which would have helped, but I didn't want to slow down to get one. That's not very smart.

NEED TO DRINK!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Walked my bike in and sucked down a gel trying to make up for my lack of nutrition on the bike. Uneventful.

Nothing
Run
  • 43m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I did take the time to drink both Gatorade and water on the run course. I'd take two cups of water, drink from one and dump the other over my head. Legs were stiff and unresponsive out of transition. Really struggled through the first mile. Finally got a song in my head that helped make the legs move a little easier. (Uncle Kracker - Follow Me) The last mile was not so bad, but the whole run felt like it went on forever! I think having the Garmin set to show me splits every half mile helps keep me focused and motivated to move. It made a difference not having it today. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it!)

I just don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a couple bottles of water. Had some grapes and a banana. Stretched ALOT. Cooled down and had a burger and a bagel. I was starving!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. But I'm getting better. :)

Event comments:

Very scenic and fun race. I've been hearing about this race for a couple of years and was happy to finally be able to do it.

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:12 | 800 meters | 02m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Counter clockwise triangle. Time trial start by race number.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:38 | 15.53 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop Rectangle course. Residential street, busy main road and freeway. Closed traffic. Very nice!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:21 | 03.11 miles | 13m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Leaving T2, Down a grassy hill to a crushed stone path around the lake and onto a bike path. Very pretty and good shade. :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1543864

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: RE: Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance

You had an incredible race! I am so proud of you.

Yes work on the nutrition on the bike.  That is the point where you get fueled for the run. It is easy to not know how much water you are losing on the bike since there is a fair amount of evaporation going on.  Also remember that the gel takes about 20 minutes to "kick in".

When you are out on a ride practice grabbing your bottle (and taking small sips) as well as pounding a gel down half way thorugh.  You'll be surprised at how easy that gets.

Once again I am very proud of you!  Great job! 

2008-07-21 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good job.  Nice to read reports people are happy with.

2008-07-21 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Nice race. As posted above, make sure you get that jell down. Batter to slow a bit on the bike and bet it down than bonk on the run. Nice job.

David

2008-07-22 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
NIIIICE job!  What a great bike split!  Keep working on the nutrition part and the run will go better, but even with the heavy legs and neverending run course your pace stayed good!  Great race!
2008-07-25 9:32 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Tammy, great race!  Way to PR on the bike...

I'm sure if you hold back a little on the bike and get some nutrition, you'll have a great run in your next tri!

2008-07-25 10:53 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Great job, especially on the bike!  Well done!
2008-07-26 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Nice job, Tam!!  That's a super fast bike split, and your overall time is really great.  Sounds like you had fun out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed