5430 Sports Corp.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 40s
Overall Rank = 850/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 67/165
Pre-race routine:

Got up at butt crack early. Showered, had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Gathered up all my stuff and headed up to Boulder.
Event warmup:

Not much. Walked around a lot and ran a short 1/4 mile. Did some swim warm-up. Was dreading/fearful of the swim. Last race I did in Boulder, I had a small panic attack. Now I was going to swim twice the distance. Just kind of sat on the beach and relaxed.
Swim
  • 29m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

As mentioned before, I was really nervous about this. I know I can swim the distance, but after my last swim, I was scared. Who wants their race over in the first 30 minutes. I lined up toward the outside and immediately move a little more outside. This worked out perfect. I was right on the edge, but could site off everyone else. I had pretty clear water and only was bumped a couple of times on the way out. Rounded the first bouy and then stayed in the middle of things the rest of the way. Really didn't have many problems. About 2/3 of the way through, the fast swimmers from the next wave started to show up. No problem though, just kept chugging along. Rounded the final buoy and picked it up a little bit. Had someone try to swim over me, but kicked until they laid off. (Take that!!!) Finished strong and felt great. I now have a nice wetsuit hickey on my neck, but didn't mind.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing this was one of my better OWS with wave starts. I just need to get a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Felt good through this transition. Put on socks and just made sure I was all set.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 43s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this is where nothing new on race day comes into play. I decided tha for the oly, I would take a couple of Gel Packs with me. I taped them to my top tube. Sure enough, when I went to grab one, I pulled them both off. This left me with two open gels. So I ate them. Bad Idea!!!. I started cramping about 2/3 of the way up old stage. It was cramping in my lower back though, not my side where you normally get cramps. Actually had to stop and walk my bike about 30 yards while stretching out my back. As soon as I felt better, I hopped back on and took off again. Probably lost about 2 minutes. After that, I tore through the rest of the ride. My watch said 19.8. I think I would have been closer to 20 if not for my cramps.

Learn to just get one gel packet at a time. Otherwise, not much. I felt pretty good on this ride. Passed a ton of people and held my own out there. Next time I will climb Old Stage more before the race and do more climbing. Was very frustrated that I had to walk at all as those that know me know I can climb well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

This would have been faster, but some guy was very slow and got between me and my rack, so I had to slow down to get him to go by so I could get to my row. Probably only lost 2-3 seconds, but it seemed like eternity. :)

Nothing
Run
  • 50m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was hot. I took it easy the first mile and just tried to find my stride. Got to the first mile and saw 7:30. Cool. Second mile was 8:02 Still o.k. Third mile was 8:30. I've got to hold this pace... After that I don't know what I did. I do know the last mile was 8:13. I had a gel at mile 3,and started using the ice. I drank a ton and poured water over myself to keep cool. This worked great. I did notice that as I came back around the res, my shoes were sloshing, but it didn't matter. Final 1/2 mile, my left quad cramped. Just kept thinking, "Don't tear it, it's not worth it." I got off the soft pack of the trail and back onto blacktop and the cramps subsided. Was able to sprint all the way into the finish. This was a 10k PR.

Nothing. This run was perfect for me. I just need to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Went directly to the lake and sat down. Awwwwww cool. :) Walked around and hung out with my wife, kid and in-laws. After they left, found Mel, Terry and Stacey. So good to see her there and back around the BT Crew.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to swim faster. I also need to ride more. It has been a balancing act to train this year. I want to spend so much time with my daughter and wife, but I also want to train. I get up early to go to work and train right after, but it is still hard. Maybe next year I'll figure it out. Or I'll just be happy with the way things are. :)

Event comments:

I was suprised that the food kind of stunk after this race. They usually have really good stuff. The Q-Doba burritos were awful (and I like QDoba). I did have some water melon. The soda was some nasty Safeway brand. It just wasn't as good as usual. I will probably do this race again sometime, but I'm in no rush. There are plenty of Oly distance races around. I think I'll try some of those first. :)

Last updated: 2008-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 101/165
Overall: 645/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot Wetsuit
Course: Large rectangle. Swim directly into the sun, turning counter clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:43 | 26.1 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/165
Overall: 338/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: This is a very hard course. You climb for about the first 6-8 miles, including a killer hill called Old Stage. Many people walk this hill. After the hill, it is very fast all the way in.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:20 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/165
Overall: 340/
Course: Out and back along the resevior. Very exposed and hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2008-07-21 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1544958

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Solid race and a great run! Congrats... good swim too! Keep it up!
2008-07-21 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great job, especially in that heat!
2008-07-21 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Nice job pushing through all of the challenges! I'm sporting a nice wetsuit hickey today, too...so embarrassing at work...
2008-07-21 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Way to go with a 10K PR after a difficult bike and in that heat, no less!  Great job all around.  Have to agree on the Qdoba burritos...left a bit to be desired, though at that point just about anything tasted ok!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed