General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 53s
Overall Rank = 481/700
Age Group = Clyde 225+
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Up on time and had a couple cups of coffee. Stopped and grabbed a Power Bar on the way.
Event warmup:

I arrived about an hour before the start but was bummed to see that there were already 10+ bikes on my rack so I got stuck with a middle spot. Did not have much space to set up my transition. Oh well. Did my set up and headed to the beach. Drank a Red Bull and ate a Gu about 15 mins. before. I did a few sprints on the beach but not as many as I usually do because I felt pretty comfortable.
Swim
  • 09m 46s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The RD changed the swim course since Race #1 by adding about 200 yards and an extra buoy in the water. I swam as fast if not faster than my first race but my time was a minute slower due to the extra length. A good swim with no problems. Kicking was good and breathing was good. With over 700 competitors, my wave was pretty big so there were a lot of bodies to move through. As usual, the run from the swim exit to transition was a good 500 yards over the beach. I typically run/walk it to keep the HR from spiking but today I went balls out and ran the whole way thinking to myself that "every second counts". This would soon turn out to be a good call.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...pretty happy with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Transition area was HUGE! My rack was close to the exit so I had a good 100 yards to run to get there. Wham - Bam - Thank you ma'am. Threw on the shoes, helmet and was gone.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 32m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Man, I left it all on the bike course. I was averaging 20-21 through all the flat stages and, as usual, lost a bit of time going up and over the HUGE 1/2 mile causeway bridge twice. I kept it at around 9mph on the way up and 38mph on the way down. Passed a ton of people and just hammered the entire way.

Don't think I could have gone any faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Now you see me...now you don't. No games here; bike on rack, socks and shoes on feet, number belt on waist, GONE.
Run
  • 33m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

God almighty was it HOT HOT HOT on the run course. Blazing sun and no shade. I think I went out a little too quick with a sub 10 first mile and then the heat kicked my ass. I saw my competition was about 2 mins behind me at the .75 mile mark. I did the math and realized that if I so much as walked one step, he would catch me. At the 2 mile mark I saw another of my competition who usually beats me and I passed him. My body was screaming at me, but I kept going thinking that "every second counts". I saw both guys right behind me with about .25 to go and I just kept up my pace; grinding as best I could.

Still need to work on 5K speed. I was about a minute slower than I would have liked, but I gave everything I had
Post race
Warm down:

I was absolutely spent when I finished and it took me a good 5-10 mins. just to get my wits about me. Drank alot of water and Accelerade. Found Mimi (yeah!) and hung out with her through the awards ceremony.

Event comments:

I finished 3rd in my AG; 4 seconds ahead of the guy who beat me by 7 mins. last month and 18 seconds ahead of the 5th place guy who usually smokes me at these events. The guy who finished 6th also usually whips my ass. Every second counted! I looked over my AG results and realized that I beat my competition primarily in transition; gaining a good 90 seconds on them. I can honestly say that I left EVERYTHING I had on that course. I peaked given my current level of ability. I'm sure I could shave 30-60 seconds here or there, but for the most part, that's about as good as I can do on this track with where I'm at. Race #3 is next month and it looks like I've got 3rd place overall all wrapped up for this Triology series...cool! I need to work on running speed and will work this month on improving my 5K time. That seems to be the only place I can drop a minute or two come next race.

Last updated: 2008-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:46 | 440 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/700
Performance: Good
Suit: Old School LG tri suit
Course: Point to point.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:27 | 10 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: One loop over Key Biscayne.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:33 | 03.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: One loop along the beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2

2008-07-21 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1544966

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2

Hey Big Sexy...!!!

Congratulations in your 3rd place....!!! Good Race!!!! You have improved a lot...!!!

That's funny that you recognized me...the world is too small...1 year ago we were stucked, trapped like rats cuz an accident in the Florida Turnpike for more than 1 hour in our way to race in Tradewinds Park...and...I told to everyone who were stucked to call the people fo MutiRace and at least they did an special wave for us cuz the race was already started....It was nice to meet and talk to you

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed