United States
Start 2 Finish Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 4s
Overall Rank = 162/263
Age Group = Beginner
Age Group Rank = 24/77
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:20, got dressed, and headed to Matsek's house to catch a ride to the race. Ate a peanut butter sandwich and a zone bar and sipped on coffee. Next time - need to come up with something better for breakfast as I felt flat for most of the morning.
Event warmup:

Race was a point-to-point race and so took longer than expected to set up two different transition points. Arrived at the swim with little time to spare so was rushed to set up the bike transition.
Swim
  • 15m 16s
  • 525 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim continues to be my worst event - just a struggle to survive! Since I tend to pull to the left when I swim, I began in the back right to avoid swimming too far off course again. Stayed on course better this time, but got too work on swimming while getting bumped, kicked, etc. With all the contact I was unable to get into a good rhytmn, which screwed up the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swim practice - otherwise I don't know. How do you get better at swimming with people all over you?
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

I was exhauseted coming out of the water so unable to run up the boat ramp to the transition area. On the bright side - near last out of the water means it was easy to find my bike in transition. Decided that since I had a good little run to the bike mount line that I would start with the shoes clipped in and try a flying mount (practiced several times, but never tried in race before). Got one foot on one shoe and then the other shoe fell off the bike - had to stop and get it.

Continue to work on the swim - improving the swim will improve my entire race.
Bike
  • 45m 50s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

So with a bad swim and a poor transition, it has to get better from here - doesn't it? Start the bike with a steep downhill, which I took a little too fast for comfort as there is a sharp right turn at the bottom. Following the turn there is a steep hill - can't get any momentum going up the hill as you have to slow down for the turn. I shifted into the lower gear and gutted out the hill even though it looked like the people pushing their bikes up the hill had a good idea. After that settled into the new aero bars and peddled best I could. I passed more people than passed me. I was pleased with my ranking, but surprised my speed was so slow as the hills were not really that bad after the first big one. Ran out of drink with about 3 miles to go so was really thirsty heading into the run.

Need to practice more swim to bike bricks. Being completely exhausted from the swim, it takes too long to get my legs underneath me on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

After the debacle with the shoe falling off in T1, decided to leave the shoes on and just clog through the transition. No problem switching shoes and heading out.

Not too much - actually pleased with T2.
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough start to the run, following the sidewalks through the college. Saw a lot of people walking and so the mental battle began - my legs said it was ok to walk while my determination kept us running. Passed more people on the run while not getting passed at all. Walked through the drink stations taking both a sports drink and water at each station, which helped with the heat.

Not much - overall good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to cool off while getting a hot dog and hamburger to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The SWIM! Don't need to come out of the water faster as much as I need to come out without being completely wiped out.

Event comments:

The point-to-point nature of the race makes the logistics more difficult, but overall it was a good race that I will do again next year.

Last updated: 2008-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:16 | 525 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 60/77
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:45:50 | 13 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/77
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with one steep climb near the beginning of the bike leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:02 | 03 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/77
Performance: Good
Course: Run starts on sidewalks through local college before heading out onto the road. One hill about a half mile into the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 8:34 AM

Regular
Germantown, TN
Subject: Mighty Mite Triathalon

2008-07-21 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1545039

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Mighty Mite Triathalon
Nice Race. This was my first point to point race setup and kind confused me for a bit, and seemed rushed getting set-up. I hear on the hill also, I was one pushing my bike, becasue I got on it and was in the wrong gear and did not want to risk poppoing off my change, so I pushed it uphill!  lol
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Mite Triathalon Rss Feed