doublecracing
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 32s
Overall Rank = 29/75
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

This was my first olympic distance race. I thought I was prepared, I thought wrong.
Event warmup:

Warmed up running for 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 40m 45s
  • 1584 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was 4 times longer than I've ever raced. Before this 450 was the longest. Wow is that a long ways.

I'm really a poor swimmer, I couldn't keep on course, and the swim just seemed to go on forever. I had anticipaed I'd be arround 36min based on what I do when training. I was 42 min probably I swam 20% more than I needed to. The crowds were not a problem, I had a lot of open water. At one point a banged heads with a swimmer going the other way ouch. I don't know whose falt it was. Given my off course swimming it was probably mine.

I'm really not prepared for racing this distance. I maybe raced for 400 yards, then I was just trying to finish. I don't know how to pace, or site or focus for that amount of time in the water.
What would you do differently?:

I need much more experience racing this distance, and training for longer stuff.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

It was fine, took a little extra time getting socks and shoes on.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m 50s
  • 25 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best leg, I felt good and kept a nice steady pace the whole way. My first race in aero bars proved to work well. The aero bottle was a good addition. I was able to eat one gel. I passed a lot, which is not difficult considering how far back in the swim I was.

Overall I was happy with my bike, I don't think I was too hard or too easy.

bring more water with me, I finished the aero bottle plus the one bottle I had with me and was still thirsty. There were drink tables, but they just had cups of water which would not have been worth slowing down for, no bottles.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s

I dismounted too soon, should have gone right to the edge of matts. had to run a bit longer than neccessary
Run
  • 50m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a disaster.

Running is by far my strongest leg. I view the first 2 legs as transportation to get to the real race. I figured I would be capable of running 41-42. In a stand alone 10k I've never run slower than 39. The first mile was tough as it always is getting off the bike, 7:40 mile. I start to feel good 1-2 which is what I expected and am able to start rolling 7:10, I think I'll be able to build off that and get under 7 for the rest of the race.

At mile 3 some severe cramps in my torso, like I've never experienced start wreaking havoc with me and I'm forced to walk some, I've never walked in any race shorter than a marathon! Wow I can't figure out what is wrong. I focus and am in complete survival mode, some of the runners I flew past are catching me, and I don't care, I'm just counting down to the finish. Ouch OUch OUCH! My last 3 miles are 7:49,8:30, 10:30.

Not crash and burn.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know.

Event comments:

I'm not sure what happend. I'm faster in training, during brick workouts of the same length over tougher courses! There are several possibilities I'm considering:

1) I haven't done any races 2-3 hours and my body is not prepared for the extended effort.
or
2) I was dehydrated, the body cramps maybe are a symptom? I could have drank another bottle on the bike, if I had brought it.
or
3) My preparation is not as good as I thought, and I should've stuck with sprints for another year.
or
4) I went too hard on the bike, and it ruined my run. I really don't think this is it.

Just for comparison in my last sprint I was 81/800 nearly top 10%, 6/66 in my age group top 10%. In this one I was 29/75 40% and 10/15 in age group bottom 1/3.

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:45 | 1584 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 62/75
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full sleave wet suit
Course: This was an up and back on the Merrimac river. First half was up stream, second half was down stream.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:50 | 25 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Overall: 23/75
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat 2 loop course, a few hills in the middle miles.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:30 | 06.2 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Overall: 28/75
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 9:13 AM

User image

Subject: The Lowell Mill City Triathlon
What I'm the most proud of is even though I had a bad race, with much suffering. This morning I threw my sore legs over my bike and headed to work. It would have been easy to take a rest day, but it would have been bad for my psyche.

Edited by hurtin 2008-07-21 9:19 AM

2008-07-21 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1545142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: The Lowell Mill City Triathlon

Sounds like we both had a tough race day yesterday, but it also sounds like you took away alot of good information for the next time. Don't be too hard on yourself, it was your first Oly and you will improve, not every race can be a good one good for you getting back in the saddle (no pun intended)!

I would have been thrilled w/ 2:48 -by the way

Edited by mburkhart 2008-07-21 10:06 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lowell Mill City Triathlon Rss Feed