General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 17s
Overall Rank = 41/159
Age Group = 25-29 M
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00... Ate some cereal, a banana, yogurt and some coffee. Left the house about 5:00 and drank some gatorade on the way. Transition set up was pretty easy. No frills at all. Got body marked and was done.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile... swam to about half way to the first buoy and back... Stretched. For this race I need to warm up as close to the gun as possible. By the start I was definately no longer warm.
Swim
  • 29m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

TT start every 3 seconds. I was number 27 so I was one of the first in the water. Before I even did the warm up swim I broke a stap on my goggles. I think it was a sign. Entering the water goggles came straight off my face. Turned automatically on my back and put them back on rolled back over and they were not sealed. Swam until the water got annoying about 2-3 strokes and rolled again and emptied the goggles and pressed them to the face. Still did not seal completely... Just did not set them tight enough. Before the first bouy I noticed my HRM slipped. It got to basically my lower chest when I rolled and it slipped to my waist. I almost lost it. Again I rolled and tightened the strap so it was snug agaist my waist. Needless to say... The first lap was a mess. I was just completely off from the first turn until I started the second lap. I was fighting my goggles, worried about my HR strap and just did not have any rhythm.

After the turn to start the second lap I focused and tried to find faster legs and get long. I found a guy that was crusing at a little faster pace and just followed. The course got crowded with the sprint distance people entering the water. Packs started to form which made for some fun navigation. I really did well finding legs and moving wihin packs. After making the last turn my goggles got pulled off again. It was just not my day.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I just have not been focused on the swim at all. I have been making time for the bike and run but have not been respecting the swim. Things will change this next month.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Went well. Includes time for run to transition (1:22) and transition (1:17).

Fixed the HRM strap on the run from the swim to T area. I am getting much better at organizing my transition area. The fast transition really earned me a couple of places

Gels in pocket, sun glasses on, helmet on, locked, socks on, shoes on, grab bike, go.

37/159 OA, 5/13 AG

Not much more that I can do except get comfortable with a gliding/flying mount.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 2s
  • 25.68 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Good start one of the first out on my rack. I picked up a passing penalty on the first lap. I should have just slowed down but I got caught up in the moment. I still think that it was a little fishy though. The rider being passed was not all the way to the right. The referee was watching the pass. So it was a three bike wall. It was open to the right so I took it.

The rest of the ride was un-eventful. I pushed as hard as possible. The course was very croweded. I got blocked twice by the entrance of the park. It was really cool having a large group of spectators cheering you along on each loop. Things cleared out on my 3rd loop as the sprint racers came off the course. On the 4th loop my stomach started telling me that it was not happy and shutting down because of the tempo. I stopped drinking my Gu2O and took a couple of swigs of water. Things were calming my the 5th lap, but I knew the run was gonna be a little messy.

Calm down... Pace... Not pick up a penalty
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Catching breath, racked bike, helmet off, gels out of pocket, shoes off, race belt on, shoes on, go.

45/159, 5/13 AG

Nothing much more I can do. Just keep working on fluid natural movement.
Run
  • 51m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed too hard on the bike. But basically that was the goal. I wanted to further understand bike pace and impact on the run. I am now well versed after the last two races.

First mile was 8:03... I knew from how hard I felt I was pushing that things were not good. I just tried to keep pace but also went straight to the HRM to change everything to a training run after a hard ass bike. I kept the HR within the 164-170 range. A little harder than what I am planning for the HIM but still within reason for the temp and humidity. Temps were creaping into the 80s... I was starting to feel the impacts of my stomach starting to shut down on the ride (which I am really glad I experienced, creepy right? but true). 2nd mile 7:54. I was a dry, salty, mess. 3rd mile 8:25... I started to get a thick mouth about 4 miles in... a slower 9:50 mile... Same time I realized I was getting a deep blister on my right pinky toe. Just kept going. Next mile another hight 9 something. Stomach started calming... grabbed some gatorade at the next aid station and walked. Picked it up right after. Next mile 8:02. Last mile 7:25. Finished as stong as possible but it was not a good day.

Pace better on the bike... Learn how to run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab some water, walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad swim (for me), too hard on the bike, stupid passing penalty.. Nuff said.

Event comments:

Good race. Flat, Fun and Fast. Crowded roads make for a lot of passing.

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 46/159
Performance: Below average
Suit: LG Tri Two-Peice Suit
Course: 2 Loop triangular course. Flat, deep, clear, former quarry pond. The clearest OWS I have ever seen. Not wetsuit legal.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:02 | 25.68 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 51/159
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 5 laps of 5.15 mi. Fast and flat along one of the local highways with a closed right lane and berm.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:05 | 06.21 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 59/159
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back... Shady and nice. Well supported.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-07-21 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1545568

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Bummer about the BS passing penalty.  Great performance nonetheless, especially with a disastrous swim start. 
2008-07-21 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Hey Justin.  Good bike ride and good training/experience day.  We'll keep learning and get things right next year.

I'll get my report up soon.

I am really starting to take note of the biking rules so I won't get any penalties.  I crossed the double yellow line that race to make a pass and now feel like I got away with something.  In the future I'll slow down to keep from getting a 2 minute penalty.  What the USAT needs is just a simple Stop and Go penalty for inadvertant infractions that don't benefit the rider (better than 2 minutes anyway).

Good 2.5 hours of training!!

2008-07-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Sounds like you learned a few things about your body and despite being uncomfortable you had an ok race for you. Keep up the good training.

Thanks for the high 5 on the run course, I love seeing fellow BTers out there!

David

2008-07-22 10:50 PM

User image

Champion
nice job out there, it is often the races like this that make you stronger, the good ones you need, but once in a while it takes something like this to show you what needs work and what can be out of your control.

you seem know what went wrong/was no as planned, and knowing that will allow you to make changes and give it another shot.

on a side note i decided today i am going to race the half with you and give the distance one more shot this season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed